The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hasm
managed to get myself an interview with sainsburys, i applied for a customer assistant which is on the tills however im underaged to work on the tills so possibly for the question what do you think your roles will be in this job? what do i say because im underage.

How old are you? You can still work on checkouts if you are under 18, you just have to get Alcohol sales approved by a supervisor.
It's been years since I was a part timer at Sainsbury's, do they still have the system where all staff, I mean colleagues, wear that degrading uniform, including CTS's and department managers, but duty managers and the store manager get to wear suits or smart trousers, shirt and tie to distinguish them from the fodder.
Reply 9262
I work in convenience and wear a shirt & tie [team leader], but the deputy manager and store manager where what they like. The 40 or so CSA's that work there wear the Sainsbury's T Shirt
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by WDooley1
I know what my store manager would expect, he'd expect full on uniform.

I always go to my team leader courses in full uniform, whereas everyone else goes in whatever. Its all about the impression you want to give off. You've never met this HR manager before, right? So you don't know how they will react to what you wear.

If I was you, I'd wear uniform. But the decision does lie with you, if you go smart casual, I'm sure you'd still look fine :smile:

Thanks for your help. Hope I get it ! :smile:
Finally heard back and got the job, got inducation this thursday so happy :smile:
Reply 9265
Original post by flipshot

Original post by flipshot
How old are you? You can still work on checkouts if you are under 18, you just have to get Alcohol sales approved by a supervisor.

im 16, gonna turn 17 in 3weeks, interview in 1week. Any tips for the interview?
Original post by hasm
managed to get myself an interview with sainsburys, i applied for a customer assistant which is on the tills however im underaged to work on the tills so possibly for the question what do you think your roles will be in this job? what do i say because im underage.

Do you mean under 18? If thats the case then dont worry they do employ people under 18, if you do work on checkouts it only mean you wont be able to sell alcohol unless you get a supervisor to authorize the transaction.
Had my induction today and my contract says i only get £4.76 an hour when I was told in my interview I would get £6.21

Whats happened?
Original post by Matt93UK
Had my induction today and my contract says i only get £4.76 an hour when I was told in my interview I would get £6.21

Whats happened?

If you're under 18 then you'll be paid this rate for the few months prior to becoming 18, which I'm guessing from the name won't be long. If you are 18 get it checked out!
Hi guys

Just to clarify:

How much per hour do under 18's get paid?

And as soon as you turn 18 do you immediately get paid the 18+ rate?

Thanks
Reply 9270
In our store everyone gets the same rate, regardless if you're under 18... they changed it a few months ago.
Original post by cjcw20
In our store everyone gets the same rate, regardless if you're under 18... they changed it a few months ago.

Thanks for the reply, do you mind saying what region your store is in?
My store is in the Midlands. One of my fellow new starters was 17 and for the two months prior to being 18 was paid the lower rate, which automatically changed after his birthday. I did read about this everyone getting the same rate, someone mentioned it only be after 6 months service though?
Reply 9273
anyone know how to apply for a part time at sainsburys in London? give my CV in because I cannot find a single vacancy online near where I am except grocery drivers and such. I'm currently working in BHS but would like to work in sainsburys..
Reply 9274
Original post by efn
anyone know how to apply for a part time at sainsburys in London? give my CV in because I cannot find a single vacancy online near where I am except grocery drivers and such. I'm currently working in BHS but would like to work in sainsburys..

When I applied back in 2008, I went in the store and asked if they had any vacancies. They gave me an application form, I filled it in and gave it to the person at the customer service desk. They rang me and got told I got the job, and gave me induction times

Have you tried applying to other supermarkets? I recommend you apply to Waitrose and M and S. As they offer better benefits, especially Waitrose.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by efn

As far as I know you can only apply online. All I can say is keep checking the website as the vacancies are usually not there for long periods of time.
Reply 9276
Is eveyone else getting the 2.7% pay rise next month :biggrin:?
This question is a bit stupid but thought i'd ask anyway.
I'm at work till 10pm tomorrow and i'm going straight from work to my friends house party and i don't really want to rock up in my lovely Sainsbury's uniform. Do you think they'll mind if i get changed after i clock out or would they not like someone being seen walking out the back in normal clothing?
Original post by lipstickstains_x
This question is a bit stupid but thought i'd ask anyway.
I'm at work till 10pm tomorrow and i'm going straight from work to my friends house party and i don't really want to rock up in my lovely Sainsbury's uniform. Do you think they'll mind if i get changed after i clock out or would they not like someone being seen walking out the back in normal clothing?

A lot of people leave my store and night without their uniform on, some in just normal clothes and others have stuff they are wearing to a party on. You'll be fine to get changed.
Original post by xangelinax
A lot of people leave my store and night without their uniform on, some in just normal clothes and others have stuff they are wearing to a party on. You'll be fine to get changed.

Thanks! I'll try and run through the back area so no ones like 'excuse me what are you doing back here, staff only'

Latest

Trending

Trending