Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xangelinax)
    It's exactly this, the new year for being absent started in mid March.
    I was told its a rolling year, so my first absence won't be cleared until october ...

ReputationRep:
    A Sainsbury's store in Kensington, West London has fitted its trolleys with a tilting iPad holder and speakers in collaboration with broadcaster Sky. The supermarket has indicated that it could roll out the initiative to other stores if the trial is successful.

The front bumpers of the trolleys are fitted with a proximity sensor in case shoppers get too close to other customers, as well as an onboard battery with a solar panel to ensure that the customer's iPad never runs out of power.

The trolleys have been developed by broadcaster Sky to highlight its Sky Go service, which allows iPad users to watch live sport or news on their portable devices.

Ian Burgess of Setwo Designs, who created the trolleys, said: "Being able to create a gadget that is practical yet innovative is often a challenge but I think with the trolley we've cracked it. The trolley can be used in the traditional way for shopping yet streams the latest sports news easily."

Brett Hart, the supermarket's trolley buyer, said: "We strive to make our customers' lives simpler, which is why we're looking at these new

trolleys."
    no longer safe indoors if this is successful

these are gonna end up in peoples living rooms rather than still in store, the baskets with wheels went AWOL

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how I might start a grievance procedure within Sainsburys?

It would be against my Dept Manager so I'm not sure who to actually take it to.

I am being treated differently from the rest of my colleagues... singled out for things which aren't my fault and generally treated like excrement basically.

I really enjoyed the job at first but now I just feel sick at the thought of having to go in and I'm at the end of my tether. I am young and pretty shy/quiet - I interact and chat with customers perfectly fine but I feel that my manager thinks my apparent meekness means they can walk over me and manipulate me as another rung on their career ladder which they are aggressively trying to climb.

I feel I only have two options left - put in a grievance or hand in my notice. And obviously I don't want to have to hand in my notice as I have to support myself somehow.

Can anyone help?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I had my Sainsburys interview on Monday and have not heard anything from them since. The man said that they are doing inductions next wednesday and that I should hear soon.

As someone who has worked for 2 years at Sainsburys previously, I will not take a rejection well!

ReputationRep:
    Okay I called them and I got a Job, but it is different to the one I applied for. They gave me a temporary contract till the 16th December. Not sure how i feel about this?
    Maybe it is because I am a student and will be travelling back down during xmas :s

Do you think, as someone who has worked at Sainsburys for 2 years and will adapt quick, that they may keep me after the temp contract ends?

ReputationRep:
    Just work your ass off now. What better offers do you have at the moment, other than the Sainsbury's contract?

Have any team leaders or deputy managers been on the RSS course? I'm booked on it tomorrow, just wondering what they're going to teach me about RSS that I haven't already learned lol

ReputationRep:
    just had my interview today, the last page where you get interviewed you talk to the manager, the manager i had was talking about stuff i would do and etc if i got the job, but not at 1 point did she say that only if i get the job.(do you think they take a peak at the answers you have given and know roughly whether you would get the job) Do you think iv got the job? I had a college interview similar like this where the interviewer and no point said only if i get a place and i got the place so i wonder whether its the same situation here.

Hope i get the job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JemMills)
    You can't work on the counter, in the restaurant or sell alcohol unless you are 18 The reason you cannot work on the counter until you are 18 is because of the use of dangerous machinery and knives etc.

I think you should contact Sainsburys before your interview and let them know.
    Guess what, they said i can work on the counter

ReputationRep:
    Weird :confused: When I applied for the job it definitely said that you had to be 18. Although, I'm not sure what the rules are for bakery and that comes under counter assistant too... Oh well :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Hang on I got this from the Sainsburys website:

Whether you’re working on our deli, meat, fish or bakery counters, like me, you can take pride in delivering the very highest standards of customer service. Every day is different as I respond to customer enquiries and build up my product knowledge with new and tasty items. I see it as my job to create a great shopping experience by ensuring my counter is always well stocked and immaculately presented. To work in this role you need to be an excellent communicator with natural people skills, combining an enthusiastic and flexible approach with a positive, ‘can do’ attitude. We look for applications from those who are 18 years or over and who don’t mind handling raw meat!

ReputationRep:
    Weird :confused: When I applied for the job it definitely said that you had to be 18. Although, I'm not sure what the rules are for bakery and that comes under counter assistant too... Oh well :rolleyes:
    you can work in the bakery if your under 18 but you can't touch the ovens or any of the bread machinery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mug51)
    no longer safe indoors if this is successful

these are gonna end up in peoples living rooms rather than still in store, the baskets with wheels went AWOL
    I don't think the iPad installed on trolleys will happen across all stores. It would be great for me, as I work in the car park collecting trolley. I get to watch the latest sports results whilst working? No chance.

My manager said to me that in September, there would be a new device locked onto the trolley so, it pushes the trolleys for you. I have no idea how it would work, it would be cool tho, as it does my job for me. I am not sure how many trolleys it would push tho

ReputationRep:
    Its being trialled in one store, and then rolled out gradually if it works, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    Hang on I got this from the Sainsburys website:

Whether you’re working on our deli, meat, fish or bakery counters, like me, you can take pride in delivering the very highest standards of customer service. Every day is different as I respond to customer enquiries and build up my product knowledge with new and tasty items. I see it as my job to create a great shopping experience by ensuring my counter is always well stocked and immaculately presented. To work in this role you need to be an excellent communicator with natural people skills, combining an enthusiastic and flexible approach with a positive, ‘can do’ attitude. We look for applications from those who are 18 years or over and who don’t mind handling raw meat!
    Duno what this is about but they said i can work on the counter.

ReputationRep:
    hi, does anyone know if you can use your discount on the sainsburys site? thanks

ReputationRep:
    woah. Look at the new recruitment website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    It looks great! Love the video. Even if I did LOL @ the bit that said "and a team that love what they do"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hasm)
    Duno what this is about but they said i can work on the counter.
    well go for it, if they said you can work for counters then its their mistake.

(Original post by PJ991)
    just had a look there and it seems wierd, didnt they just update it for local and supermarket? and now they have videos and stuff. Its a big upgrade since I applied. Maybe it makes it easier and they have actually employed people that know how to work oracle.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, it really is a huge improvement. Much easier to search for jobs now.

I just switched shifts from 5 days to 3, and I'm pretty surprised at how easily I was able to do that, since I work in the evening when it's really busy. They're either desperate for people on checkouts, or not to lose people or something

When is the next pay day? I desperately need money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MinervaExpeliamos)
    Does anyone know how I might start a grievance procedure within Sainsburys?

It would be against my Dept Manager so I'm not sure who to actually take it to.

I am being treated differently from the rest of my colleagues... singled out for things which aren't my fault and generally treated like excrement basically.

I really enjoyed the job at first but now I just feel sick at the thought of having to go in and I'm at the end of my tether. I am young and pretty shy/quiet - I interact and chat with customers perfectly fine but I feel that my manager thinks my apparent meekness means they can walk over me and manipulate me as another rung on their career ladder which they are aggressively trying to climb.

I feel I only have two options left - put in a grievance or hand in my notice. And obviously I don't want to have to hand in my notice as I have to support myself somehow.

Can anyone help?
    Thanks

BUMP

Anyone?!!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.