Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I went online 2 weeks ago and there were lots of jobs for a new store opening in my area so I applied and passed the test thing, when I log in it says Job application in progress but they haven't contacted me yet and the jobs were quickly taken off the vacancies. Is this because I am unsuccessful or will it just be because the new store isn't open yet so they are keeping all the details until they need people? lol

ReputationRep:
    I checked the opening times for my store and it says it's open 'till 10pm, so it's too late to phone them at the moment. I'll try tomorrow though. It was 9:30pm when I received the email so by the time I was aware of what time they shut, it didn't give me that long to contact them about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BSJ)
    i heard the fuel vouchers are comming out apparently
    yeah we have fuel voucher if you spend over £50 in our store! runs out 14th sept i think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    We're getting measured for our new uniforms on 1st-4th September, and we go live some time in October. That's pretty quick compared to the December date it was just a few weeks ago.

Can't wait to get rid of my shirt and tie and go for polo shirts instead.
    We're going live in October as well, on the 4th. Was measured up last week.

(Original post by BSJ)
    I have 3 Am annoyed that I filled my car up the other day because I thought prices were going to go up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoonGazer)
    I checked the opening times for my store and it says it's open 'till 10pm, so it's too late to phone them at the moment. I'll try tomorrow though. It was 9:30pm when I received the email so by the time I was aware of what time they shut, it didn't give me that long to contact them about it.
    I would call up HRSS - 08456023860 as well

As they deal with Sainsburys Vacancies and could possibly explain to you what has happened since that email was sent via HRSS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoonGazer)
    Hey guys, I have a quick question or two, if you don't mind?

So I filled in the online application last week and got a text the other day and was asked to phone up and make an interview (I phoned as soon as I realised I got the message, which was all in the same day). I then got an email confirming my date a short while later and time (supposed to be this Tuesday at 11:3am in Bury St Edmund's Sainsburys store) and then just today, I got an email saying the following:

"Dear Celeste,

Further to our recent correspondence informing you that your application was being considered for Customer Service Assistant position at the Bury St Edmund A0411, we would like to confirm the outcome. After careful consideration we have chosen another candidate to fill this position whose skills were a closer match for this particular role.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your interest in joining Sainsburys and for the time you have taken with your application. Please continue to visit our website as our business is continuing to grow with new opportunities becoming available on a regular basis.

Regards, Sainsbury's Resourcing Team."

What the heck is this about? Why, if the position has been filled, would they ask me to phone up for an interview? Do I still go in for my interview or not on Tuesday? Does this happen often? I haven't even had my interview already so to dismiss this chance at trying for a job there feels very unfair from where I am, but maybe that's just me?
    Unfortunately it sounds like someone who just happened to have an interview before yours was given the job. This happened to me a few months ago when I applied for a job with HSBC. They called me to arrange a telephone interview and we decided on a date that was 4 days away... 1 day before my interview I received an email to say that the position had been filled and thanks for my time etc etc.

With so many people applying to supermarkets at the moment they are likely to just take on the first person who matches. A sign of the recession i'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    Yeh, they were available today.

I'm intrigued by this "print vouchers at till" thing that's coming to our store in a couple of weeks. Seems a bit of an expense to put colour printers on every single till :s
    We had the printers installed this week and its meant to actually go live in a few weeks. The layout of our tills really arn't geared up to have these additional printers. They just get in the way. To begin with we had them in the packing area and they got in the way there. Then someone came up with the idea of stacking them and having the receipt printer on top but this is a bad idea because it buts the printer at elbow height with nothing to support it behind. So everytime you turn around you almost elbow the printer off. Infact someone already has, luckily the cables caught it so it didn't fall to the floor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    I had my first ever £50 note from a customer today. :eek: I remember being told that when we receive a £50 note we have to call a supervisor to make sure we put it in the till or something. Well, not only did I not bother to ask someone to watch me it in the till, but I also forgot to check if it was real or fake. I hope it isn't fake, otherwise I might get a disciplinary.

Hopefully I will remember if there's a next time.
    Its not that you have to get someone to watch you put it in the till. Its just your meant to call someone over to check its real. As they have a special pen which they can use in addition to the other ways of checking notes.

ReputationRep:
    For those who are looking to gain a job at Sainsbury's, i saw an article in the Daily Mail two days ago that said Sainsbury's was going to be taking on 20,000 temporary employees in the run up to Christmas, with around 1,500 of those vacancies being full-time contracts.

Keep an eye out on the Sainsbury's recruitment website over the next few weeks to get in early and apply.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    do we really get a disciplinary if we get found with a fake note in our till? Im sacred to do flights sometimes when ive seen others come on my till during my breaks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tokyorose888)
    do we really get a disciplinary if we get found with a fake note in our till? Im sacred to do flights sometimes when ive seen others come on my till during my breaks
    A friend of mine when he had to do flights would write down the exact time that he left his till according to the time that was shown on the till clock and the exact time that he got back.

This covered him incase someone took a dodgy note when he was away, because he could just produce the time sheet showing when he had left and when he returned if he was questioned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flipshot)
    Its not that you have to get someone to watch you put it in the till. Its just your meant to call someone over to check its real. As they have a special pen which they can use in addition to the other ways of checking notes.
    Would a fake note lead to me getting a disciplinary?

ReputationRep:
    Would a fake note lead to me getting a disciplinary?
    Without trying to sound mean, I think it would, yes. There are simple procedures put in place for checking notes, and if you forget to follow them you could end up with a disciplinary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyMiner)
    Without trying to sound mean, I think it would, yes. There are simple procedures put in place for checking notes, and if you forget to follow them you could end up with a disciplinary.
    If it's a fake note, I will just tell them to take it outta my wages. No big deal. As long as I promise not to make the same mistake again, what's the problem? No need for a disciplinary I hope.

ReputationRep:
    If it's a fake note, I will just tell them to take it outta my wages. No big deal. As long as I promise not to make the same mistake again, what's the problem? No need for a disciplinary I hope.
    had a similar problem last time myself, they wont take your money, they'll just give you a disciplinary.(They may ask you why you didnt use the marker pen or consult a supervisor if you werent sure though)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tokyorose888)
    had a similar problem last time myself, they wont take your money, they'll just give you a disciplinary.(They may ask you why you didnt use the marker pen or consult a supervisor if you werent sure though)
    But what exactly is a disciplinary? How does affect you personally? Is it 'one more mistake and your out' kinda thing?

ReputationRep:
    And also, isn't money counted every night? So if they see a fake note, wouldn't they inform the cashier of their grave error immediately the next day? Which, for me, would be today (sat)? Or would they delay informing me for some reason?

But if I took a fake note (only perhaps) on a Friday, I would be notified before the end of the Bank Holiday weekend, yeah normally|?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BSJ)
    Got mine stapled to my shopping order yesterday :yep:

ReputationRep:
    And also, isn't money counted every night? So if they see a fake note, wouldn't they inform the cashier of their grave error immediately the next day? Which, for me, would be today (sat)? Or would they delay informing me for some reason?

But if I took a fake note (only perhaps) on a Friday, I would be notified before the end of the Bank Holiday weekend, yeah normally|?
    I never particularly understood how they could blame one particular colleague for a till discrepency anyway, given tea breaks and previous/later shifts etc.

ReputationRep:
    Just want to ask if its possible to apply again on the same Sainsbury Store you applied before and got an interview with them but unsuccessfully turned down. Its just the first Sainsbury store I applied before have vacancies again today wondering if they will let me apply for it again for the same position.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.