The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Slapstick
Induction in 3 days, So excited!! :biggrin: Can anyone let me know if i'll start working straight away? For example it's a weekend position so if my induction is on the 14th Wednesday, Will I start work on Saturday17th? Also, since pay day just came and went, does it mean i'll have like 3 weeks until i get paid for my Induction?

I'm pretty sure these are all questions I can find out about on the Induction but i'm so excited and this thread appears to have alot of Sainsburys Vets :tongue:

Sainsburys weeks start on the sunday to the saturday so if you worked in my store you would start on the 24th, unless your are needed then you might start earlier than that. If you do want to start before then, talk to your trainer and ask them who your boss/manager is then talk to them and ask if you are needed before the saturday for overtime.

There was about 10 people doing an induction today for checkouts, one was becoming a team leader for checkouts, so hopefully I won’t be called to checkouts during my shifts. I was called to do bag packing today for our local charity but I was the only person in my department so I couldn’t leave. Much to the disappointment for the person that organised it.
(edited 12 years ago)
What are Sainsburys like with taking holidays? Such as every college holiday I have to go and visit my father in another country, so can never work during those times.. Even if it's unpaid holiday, are they usually OK with you taking it?
Reply 9502
Original post by TheBritishBloke
What are Sainsburys like with taking holidays? Such as every college holiday I have to go and visit my father in another country, so can never work during those times.. Even if it's unpaid holiday, are they usually OK with you taking it?

You need to inform your manager as early as possible. They usually try to accommodate holidays, but if you leave it to the week before you jet off, then you have no chance.
Original post by JemMills
A counter is the meat, fish, deli and bakery counters where we sell meat, fish, cheese, cakes etc which is a very different area of work to a checkout :biggrin:

Being a counter assistant involves completely different skills to working on checkouts and is an entirely different department. LOL you must have got confused :P

Is being a counter assistant hard? also in comparison to the other roles. and is being a counter assistant demanding? would 17 hours a week be a killer?
Original post by FXX
If you're in before the counters open, you need to set up the displays. Serve customers. When there are no customers, clean. If your store has a salad bar you need to keep that topped up too.

Original post by mug51
ahhh well done

don't be nervous you are not required to give a speech about what you know about your job. it's just a long day sitting down and filling out workbooks which i'm sure they will let you and others to work together on.

from what i see on counters when im hovering around there (rarely over on that side of the store since it is cold with all the fresh chillers around it) you pretty much serve customers, prepare hot foods when supplies are low, keep the place tidy and clean, maintain a good display, don't wander over to raw section (fish and meat) if you work on the cooked section (deli, food to go) and vice versa.

Original post by HarryA
Well done! I am going to leave my position soon. Go to your store and look for the counters - it's not really the best job to be honest. You have to wear a silly hat, apron, white coat on top of the normal uniform. And half the time you are cleaning, just cleaning things like the worktops, plates, spoons, machinery. And you have to handle meat like ham and turkey and slice it on the machine, serve cheese, olives and snacks. Make pizzas and sometimes cook them (which is fun!). You also have to spend some time in the chiller (which is really cold) checking and getting stock and a small amount of time in the freezer (which is frigging freeeeezing cold) checking stock.

I honestly hated the actual job, but the people I worked with were great.

Is being a counter assistant hard? also in comparison to the other roles. and is being a counter assistant demanding? would 17 hours a week be a killer?
im leaving sainsburys due to uni etc so i was wondering what happens to our wages? i just received last months paycheck and everything but what about the rest of the money a week after that paycheck? Do sainsburys do it with next months wages or give it as a BAC on the day that you leave???
Original post by flamingo2003
im leaving sainsburys due to uni etc so i was wondering what happens to our wages? i just received last months paycheck and everything but what about the rest of the money a week after that paycheck? Do sainsburys do it with next months wages or give it as a BAC on the day that you leave???

youll get it with next months wages
Reply 9507
Does anyone know how much you get paid for the induction? Thanks :smile:
Reply 9508
Original post by Kayla94
Does anyone know how much you get paid for the induction? Thanks :smile:

I think its your normal wages. I start induction tomorow so excited!!
It's quite amusing how everyone is excited for their induction...
You won't be quite as excited a year later.:wink:
Reply 9510
Cheers :smile: I've got mine on thursday, I've heard its quite boring but I'm just excited to be earning some money tbh! haha
Reply 9511
Original post by Kayla94

I'm just excited to be earning some money!!

Also why would you not be excited? you would be earning money in a time when few jobs are available. However a year later you would not be excited if your wage stays the same.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by hasm
I'm just excited to be earning some money!!

Also why would you not be excited? you would be earning money in a time when few jobs are available. However a year later you would not be excited if your wage stays the same.

I like your enthusiasm and you are very right.:tongue: just becomes very monotonous especially on checkouts.

Sorry to put a downer on your excitement :smile:
Reply 9513
Original post by Saliency

I like your enthusiasm and you are very right.:tongue: just becomes very monotonous especially on checkouts.

Sorry to put a downer on your excitement :smile:

true but all you do is sit there and move your arms! First job always not the best, like this is my 1st job; you hope to build and learn from it.
Original post by hasm
true but all you do is sit there and move your arms! First job always not the best, like this is my 1st job; you hope to build and learn from it.

Exactly, which is why you can see it may not excite me as much as when i first started. Everyday doing the same ole' thing but yes there are many perks to it and to checkouts such as the simplicity of the job.
Reply 9515
When you finish at say 5pm, what time do you go upstair to the locker room to get change? and what time do you clock out?

For the past 3.5 years, I been clocking out when I am suppose to finish. If I am working 8-4pm, I go upstair to the locker room at around 3.50-3.53pm, get change, wearing my jacket, get my wallet and clock out at 4pm. I was wondering if I could get in trouble for this?

It's fine, if I don't bump into a supervisor when I go up stair at 3.50-3.52pm or waiting at 3.58-3.59pm for the clock to go to 4pm to clock out.

For the past few shift, I been bumping into supervisors, and get a telling off, that I must go to the locker room at 4pm. If I did, it would be around 4.05pm by the time I clock out.

I haven't had any warning for 3.5 year doing this. But I am worried, that if I keep bumping into supervisors, I will get in trouble for this.

What's your view on this?
Reply 9516
Original post by GuyUK
When you finish at say 5pm, what time do you go upstair to the locker room to get change? and what time do you clock out?

For the past 3.5 years, I been clocking out when I am suppose to finish. If I am working 8-4pm, I go upstair to the locker room at around 3.50-3.53pm, get change, wearing my jacket, get my wallet and clock out at 4pm. I was wondering if I could get in trouble for this?

It's fine, if I don't bump into a supervisor when I go up stair at 3.50-3.52pm or waiting at 3.58-3.59pm for the clock to go to 4pm to clock out.

For the past few shift, I been bumping into supervisors, and get a telling off, that I must go to the locker room at 4pm. If I did, it would be around 4.05pm by the time I clock out.

I haven't had any warning for 3.5 year doing this. But I am worried, that if I keep bumping into supervisors, I will get in trouble for this.

Officially you're supposed to clock out before you head to the changing room.
Reply 9517
Original post by FXX
Officially you're supposed to clock out before you head to the changing room.

Yes I know. I would do this, if I had a warning and was told I have to do this. Everyone at my store clock out after they get changed.
Original post by GuyUK

I know of someone in my store that got sacked on the spot when he got changed before signing out and the manager spotted him. Don't do it, it's not worth it.
Reply 9519
I know of someone in my store that got sacked on the spot when he got changed before signing out and the manager spotted him. Don't do it, it's not worth it.

Didn't he/she get a warning? A lot of people will get sacked in my store, if they sacked you for doing this.

Latest

Trending

Trending