Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm moving to complete my final week of training at a city centre store in Nottingham, before then moving back out of the city to the new store being built in Lenton! Lol. Its a hectic few weeks, I get the dubious distinction of deciding what charity to sponsor/work with over the next year! I really don't want it to be an animal charity, but there's not many other bloody charities in Lenton, Nottingham! Lol.

ReputationRep:
    finished my induction yesterday. Gonna start check-out training tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know what the HR interview is like? I've one next week and have no idea what to expect for it. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WDooley1)
    I'm moving to complete my final week of training at a city centre store in Nottingham, before then moving back out of the city to the new store being built in Lenton! Lol. Its a hectic few weeks, I get the dubious distinction of deciding what charity to sponsor/work with over the next year! I really don't want it to be an animal charity, but there's not many other bloody charities in Lenton, Nottingham! Lol.
    Does it have to be a local charity? Maybe you could do like the local branch of a national charity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Debbie2709)
    Anyone know what the HR interview is like? I've one next week and have no idea what to expect for it. :P
    not much like an interview...

ReputationRep:
    2 day induction over. Kinda annoyed we didn't get our uniforms "They've been ordered"... I was looking forward to that the most. Ah well...the name badge'll have to do for now. OH Btw, i still don't have a clue what i'm doing for the actual job (neither do the others at my induction). The induction was just these 7 modules of sainsburys history/policies/values/rules... Guess we'll find out when we start.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I need to book some weeks off work, basically the remaining 5 weeks i've got I need to use up. (I started in May and have only taken 1 week off)

So I was just wondering, when does the holiday 'booking year' reset? If that makes sense? April/May seems to pop up but i'm not sure.

Just because I'll need to book some time off next year for my Exams and Holiday...

Or am I just talking rubbish?

ReputationRep:
    heya guys, does everyone get the same dvd test? counters, customer assistant etc? I just had mines for counters... it was fairly straight forward, maths was easy way below gcse level but i missed something, in the clip where the man is stealing, what is the woman in the background doing? thanks. good luck with your interviews and applications
    x

ReputationRep:
    Cant post what the answer is on here but dont worry about it most people on my induction got it wrong or left it blank for that clip.

ReputationRep:
    When I did my interview, it was like one of those magazine quizes where you select an answer out of 3, and the higher the score, the higher the chance you got the job (It was actually the same system as the online application tool questionaire).

I didn't do none of this dvd stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shooting.star)
    Does it have to be a local charity? Maybe you could do like the local branch of a national charity?
    We wanted a local charity, as Sainsbury's is all about the "community" and all that :P

Anyway, I found one! Its called the West Area Project, and deals with disabled and special needs people. It is INSPIRATIONAL!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swell)
    Hi guys, I need to book some weeks off work, basically the remaining 5 weeks i've got I need to use up. (I started in May and have only taken 1 week off)

So I was just wondering, when does the holiday 'booking year' reset? If that makes sense? April/May seems to pop up but i'm not sure.

Just because I'll need to book some time off next year for my Exams and Holiday...

Or am I just talking rubbish?
    The new holiday year starts at the beginning of April I think

ReputationRep:
    Do your holiday days still count as holiday when they are in your notice period?

I finish on the 2nd Oct but have the 26th Sept booked off (a day I need but didn't know that when I booked it) but it's not been marked as holiday on the rota. Is this because I'm leaving and my holiday becomes void or just a mistake?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by KatrinaLou)
    Do your holiday days still count as holiday when they are in your notice period?

I finish on the 2nd Oct but have the 26th Sept booked off (a day I need but didn't know that when I booked it) but it's not been marked as holiday on the rota. Is this because I'm leaving and my holiday becomes void or just a mistake?
    when did you book it? chase it with your manager. it should still be valid

ReputationRep:
    Does a job as a baker require experience? I've baked cakes and bread before, but not as a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatrinaLou)

Well I have this week off and I'm on my notice period. I just didn't go so I hope that's not the case.
    If your holiday has already been booked and signed off, I don't see why you being on your notice makes any difference? I think it must have been a mistake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iheartmondays)
    Is being a counter assistant hard? also in comparison to the other roles. and is being a counter assistant demanding? would 17 hours a week be a killer?
    The actual job isn't hard, it's just a case of listening to what customers what and giving it to them, in the same way that you might go to Starbucks and order a coffee, and the staff would prepare it for you.

There is other work to be done to, like making preparations, eg cutting cheese or meat or doing paperwork at the end of the day (which is pretty easy once you do it a couple of times). But it's constantly cold because all the food is chilled, and then you get even more cold when you go to the chiller to get stock and to the freezer and check stock or move stock (moving was hard and frustrating and I hated it the MOST!). And the amount of cleaning you have to do is unbelievable, though incredibly easy, just sooo tedious and repetitive.

I also worked on the salad bar, which is cleaned everyday but easy.

My advice? Take the job if you have to (and you get a 10% staff discount on all your shopping after 6 months, which will save you a TON of money). The pay is about £6-6.30 an hour. BUT, if you don't have to, don't take it! It's one of those jobs which is just not good, but someone has to do it, you know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirty Dream Number Two)
    The new holiday year starts at the beginning of April I think
    So i'll get 6 more weeks? It'll 'reset' in a sense?

Ta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    when did you book it? chase it with your manager. it should still be valid
    I booked it around March. Maybe even February.

(Original post by shooting.star)
    Well I have this week off and I'm on my notice period. I just didn't go so I hope that's not the case.
    If your holiday has already been booked and signed off, I don't see why you being on your notice makes any difference? I think it must have been a mistake.
    Ah ok.

I'll have to chase it up tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    All the talk of clocking out had me wondering, I'm so busy that some days I don't even get downstairs to clock out until maybe ten past whenever I'm supposed to leave and I always clock out before going into the changing room. When I first started our team leader said to me that it's not fair on me working over my time like that but I like to get everything done and if it means going a few minutes over then it doesn't bother me. Since then no one's said anything to me and I think all of the people working there realise that I stay that bit longer sometimes and it doesn't bother me. Anyway if they wanted to check they could track me on the handsets and see that I have been working until whenever it is I clock out. I couldn't get in trouble for staying a little later to get everything finished could I? It's not as though I'm looking to get paid for those extra minutes I'm doing or anything and also it's not as though I stand around talking and that's why I end up finishing up late, it's just with having so much to do within a three hour space (after 6pm I have the code check, ISB and counter reductions, FOA, further reductions on brought in and ISB stuff and then I finish at 9pm) I don't think anyone would be too bothered, I'm guessing I would have had someone say something by now anyway.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.