Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by GuyUK)
    Hey guys, I have a question.

Do people have time to eat and drink during a 15 minutes break during a 5 hour shift?

If I have a break at 9pm, I look to see what I want to eat and drink at, get to the clock in machine at around 9.07pm. I then go to get money from the locker in the canteen, and take 15 minutes, so return to work at 9.22pm.

However, I been told that the 15 minutes break include looking for food that you want to eat and drink. So, if I decide to go for my 15 minutes break at 9pm, I get to the clock in machine at 9.02pm, get money from the locker up stair, come back down stair, takes 3 minutes, look for food and drink, takes 5 minutes, queue and pay at self checkout, takes 5 minutes, go back up stair to the canteen, takes 3 minutes.

This takes 15 minutes, so how can I eat and drink?

I would have to eat or drink nothing for 5 hours, because there isn't enough time to eat and drink. Unless I get chocolate from the vending machine, and drink water.

I would have to take food and drink to work, leave in the fridge before my shift, and microwave it.
    Simple answer is you do as you're supposed to and buy stuff from upstairs/bring your own food in rather than buy off the shop floor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GuyUK)
    Hey guys, I have a question.

Do people have time to eat and drink during a 15 minutes break during a 5 hour shift?

If I have a break at 9pm, I look to see what I want to eat and drink at, get to the clock in machine at around 9.07pm. I then go to get money from the locker in the canteen, and take 15 minutes, so return to work at 9.22pm.

However, I been told that the 15 minutes break include looking for food that you want to eat and drink. So, if I decide to go for my 15 minutes break at 9pm, I get to the clock in machine at 9.02pm, get money from the locker up stair, come back down stair, takes 3 minutes, look for food and drink, takes 5 minutes, queue and pay at self checkout, takes 5 minutes, go back up stair to the canteen, takes 3 minutes.

This takes 15 minutes, so how can I eat and drink?

I would have to eat or drink nothing for 5 hours, because there isn't enough time to eat and drink. Unless I get chocolate from the vending machine, and drink water.

I would have to take food and drink to work, leave in the fridge before my shift, and microwave it.
    Could you buy something before you go in to start your shift? So long as you get it signed, you can then put it in your locker/the fridge till you want it.

ReputationRep:
    You also don't need to clock out and in when you're only going for a 15-minute break. You only do so when you get given an hour-long lunch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)
    Could you buy something before you go in to start your shift? So long as you get it signed, you can then put it in your locker/the fridge till you want it.
    I was thinking of doing that. Problem being, there aren't that many reduced price on food at 5pm.

Also, I need to arrive around 15 minutes early to buy food and drink.

Thanks for the suggestion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam6993)
    You also don't need to clock out and in when you're only going for a 15-minute break. You only do so when you get given an hour-long lunch.
    I don't clock in and out during my breaks. I never had a hour break, most I had is 30 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GuyUK)
    I don't clock in and out during my breaks. I never had a hour break, most I had is 30 minutes.
    Oh...sorry. I misread your post, you only said you got to the clocking in machine at 9:07pm, not that you actually used it. My mistake.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got the mysainsburys passcode? Only just found out about it. Also, do we get discount with any mobile operators other than Vodafone? And has anyone got any idea which Vodafone scheme Sainsburys is part of? There seems to be 2:

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/vodafone-...cid=rdr-711-01

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/vodafone-...igns/partners/

I'm thinking it's the second because this is allegedly the list of companies on the 1st scheme:

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-M...es/td-p/713547

But then that list might be out-dated. Anyone got an insight as to which is which? 50% discount would be very nice :eek:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    does anyone know how many weeks notice I need to give if/when I leave?

Been at Sainsbury's since March '09 and am only part time.

When I told an interviewer a last month that it was 4 weeks notice she seemed shocked and thought it would be like 1 week?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatg)
    does anyone know how many weeks notice I need to give if/when I leave?

Been at Sainsbury's since March '09 and am only part time.

When I told an interviewer a last month that it was 4 weeks notice she seemed shocked and thought it would be like 1 week?
    It is 4 weeks, even when you work part time.
    I got really frustrated working my notice period - it seems to go on forever! They even started training me on something new, even though I'd handed my notice in lol.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It is 4 weeks, even when you work part time.
    I got really frustrated working my notice period - it seems to go on forever! They even started training me on something new, even though I'd handed my notice in lol.
    thanks, thought it was.

Sainsbury's = Idiots.

many times I've been late leaving because no one taking over from me or they are late, record so far is 20 minutes & really starting to p*ss me off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatg)
    thanks, thought it was.

Sainsbury's = Idiots.

many times I've been late leaving because no one taking over from me or they are late, record so far is 20 minutes & really starting to p*ss me off
    It happens across the company then. It was a persistent problem at my store. My personal record was working 35 minutes after my shift finished. Even then there was no apology or anything from my supervisor, who hadn't organised for someone to take me off the till [I was the only till open]. Fail.

ReputationRep:
    when my contract finishes if they dont say anything to me shall i just keep going in, or shall i ask if my contracts permanent?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to be a pain guys, but how is this new price match thing being implemented? I don't work on checkouts but normally get called over when they're busy and I don't want to make a boob of myself if I have to do anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hasm)
    when my contract finishes if they dont say anything to me shall i just keep going in, or shall i ask if my contracts permanent?
    I'm sorry, but you've asked this question so many times! Look in your contract, you should have a copy, it will tell you there if your position is permanent or not. There is only so much we can tell you. The people who will really know are those at your store. Ask them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by briesandwich)
    Sorry to be a pain guys, but how is this new price match thing being implemented? I don't work on checkouts but normally get called over when they're busy and I don't want to make a boob of myself if I have to do anything.
    Do you mean brand match? If so, you don't really have to do anything, it just works the same way as the Nectar coupons really. Everyone who spends over £20 gets a coupon from the coupon printer telling them if their shop was cheaper in Sainsburys than it would have been in Asda/Tesco. If it wasn't, their coupon will also have a barcode giving them money off their next shop. If they want to use it, you just scan it as normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Debbie2709)
    Do you mean brand match? If so, you don't really have to do anything, it just works the same way as the Nectar coupons really. Everyone who spends over £20 gets a coupon from the coupon printer telling them if their shop was cheaper in Sainsburys than it would have been in Asda/Tesco. If it wasn't, their coupon will also have a barcode giving them money off their next shop. If they want to use it, you just scan it as normal.
    Ah lovely, thanks. Even if I don't get called to tills a customer will no doubt stop and ask me about it!

ReputationRep:
    hey, im new to working at sainsburys and i have a few quiestions

how do i book time off? and what to i do if some ones credit card is one the needs a signature? (i keep dreading it when ever someone uses a card :') )

thank you for any help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley-Anne)
    hey, im new to working at sainsburys and i have a few quiestions

how do i book time off? and what to i do if some ones credit card is one the needs a signature? (i keep dreading it when ever someone uses a card :') )

thank you for any help
    I had a few cards that had a signiture [one of my regular customers was a blind lady who had to sign as she couldn't use the chip-pin machine]. I just let them sign. You watch them sign it and check it against the back of the card. You return the card and then put the signed slip in your till, to send up with your next flight... I did that from day one and no one said anything about it.

ReputationRep:
    Had my interview today, funnily enough my interviewer has just moved there from my old store, so that made things a bit more relaxed. Desperately hoping for this job, 3 hr round trip each shift is 100 times better than data entry at Royal Mail!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I had a few cards that had a signiture [one of my regular customers was a blind lady who had to sign as she couldn't use the chip-pin machine]. I just let them sign. You watch them sign it and check it against the back of the card. You return the card and then put the signed slip in your till, to send up with your next flight... I did that from day one and no one said anything about it.
    you should also check the numbers on the front of the card match those on the piece of paper they sign. We've had people around our area try and use false cards so have to be extra carefull. Don't think it's every happened in my store yet though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.