Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain the grade system in use in Sainsbury's stores. I'm talking about the 'rank' grades, such as C5, C6 etc. What grade applies to each position? Are the higher numbers further up the store structure or are the lower numbers further up?

The job i'm starting in September is either C5 or C6 (I can't remember off the top of my head). What sort of job title does this equate to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyMiner)
    Can someone please explain the grade system in use in Sainsbury's stores. I'm talking about the 'rank' grades, such as C5, C6 etc. What grade applies to each position? Are the higher numbers further up the store structure or are the lower numbers further up?

The job i'm starting in September is either C5 or C6 (I can't remember off the top of my head). What sort of job title does this equate to?
    I've never heard of that grading, only pay "bands" The standard band is Band 2, Team Leaders is Band 3. Managers get more. Where have you heard C5/C6 from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh-No!)
    I've never heard of that grading, only pay "bands" The standard band is Band 2, Team Leaders is Band 3. Managers get more. Where have you heard C5/C6 from?
    On my contract it mentions that my pay grade will either be C5 or C6 (I can't remember which). So perhaps the letter C just means stores and the 5 or 6 is the pay grade... would that make sense?

If so, what would a pay grade of 5 or 6 be the same as (e.g. supervisor, department manager etc).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawberry_princess)
    wow... seriously, have mine lol. they keep putting me down for loads of overtime on the schedule and i don't want it!! I work in a small town centre store!! lol. only on a 12 hr contract, every week that i've been there since i started in mid july has been between 20-35 hrs a week.
    I got put to do overtime once during my study leave. I didn't ask for it, they didn't ask if I wanted it, no one actually told me about it. And then there wasn't enough work for 3 of us to do, so I got put sorting out bits of board and such, then spent half the day on a checkout when I could have been revising for the six exams I had the in the next week. No one understands why I've refused most overtime since for some reason... :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxcvbnmqwertyuiopasdfghjk)
    can anyone tell me how the money pen at sainsburys works?. if its clear the note is fine and if its blue the note is fake. is this right???
    yup clear is real, and fake is bluey/purple.

If your not sure just try the pen on a piece of paper and see what happens. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    On my contract it mentions that my pay grade will either be C5 or C6 (I can't remember which). So perhaps the letter C just means stores and the 5 or 6 is the pay grade... would that make sense?

If so, what would a pay grade of 5 or 6 be the same as (e.g. supervisor, department manager etc).
    Band 6 is the highest you can go in store, and that's a Store Manager. I think you'd know if you were doing that job lol.

ReputationRep:
    Finally lastday on checkouts on saturday. I am sooooo happy to leave checkouts and join HR team........Hurrayyyyyy!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Writer14)
    Band 6 is the highest you can go in store, and that's a Store Manager. I think you'd know if you were doing that job lol.
    Well I have no idea then lol.

My salary is £25,000 per year if that helps? No idea what a store manager earns though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramnaresh_2000)
    Finally lastday on checkouts on saturday. I am sooooo happy to leave checkouts and join HR team........Hurrayyyyyy!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sounds great, I wanna do that!

ReputationRep:
    Well I have no idea then lol.

My salary is £25,000 per year if that helps? No idea what a store manager earns though!

I'd say checkout manager by the sounds of that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BSJ)
    I'd say checkout manager by the sounds of that
    Ok fair enough. So it is a Department Manager's sort of salary? ( I assume checkouts is classed as a department? ).

No need to laugh about the Checkout Manager thing - I'm a good guy... you would love me if I happened to be your CM!

ReputationRep:
    Ok fair enough. So it is a Department Manager's sort of salary? ( I assume checkouts is classed as a department? ).

No need to laugh about the Checkout Manager thing - I'm a good guy... you would love me if I happened to be your CM!

on second thoughts, you would have to atually have previous experience at sainsburys, so I'd doubt you'd be checkout manager.
    more like a member of price control maybe :/

ReputationRep:

I don't quite see how you've managed to be appointed as a department manager without being aware of it. You must have applied for a specific role.

"Whoops, I seem to have taken over Justin King's job..."

ReputationRep:
    My Application is still in review. Im guessing its because Its a weekend?

Really hope i get to the interview stage, im dieing to earn some money!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Writer14)
    I don't quite see how you've managed to be appointed as a department manager without being aware of it. You must have applied for a specific role.
    Obviously I applied to a specific job... I'm starting the Graduate Retail Scheme in a few weeks. I was just curious what role the pay grade was equivalent to as the pay grade system hasn't been explained as of yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    "Whoops, I seem to have taken over Justin King's job..."

whoops i seem to have edited my post and got rid of a quote, which lead a certain tsr member to this thread >.<

lolz

ReputationRep:
    Obviously I applied to a specific job... I'm starting the Graduate Retail Scheme in a few weeks. I was just curious what role the pay grade was equivalent to as the pay grade system hasn't been explained as of yet.
    Ah that makes sense now. However I've no idea how pay works for that scheme so I guess you'll have to find out when you start. If you get paid an hourly rate then that should be on your contract as well. If its a set salary then I don't know where that would be displayed - logically it should be on your contract as well but maybe not lol.

ReputationRep:
    Damn, I failed the DVD test. Apparently I did well in the interview and they were surprised I failed the test.

ReputationRep:
    I am normally good at 'attention to detail' too but found it quite difficult to notice things.. and I kind of took my eye off the tv for a second

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.