The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9840
Original post by Kayla94

Original post by Kayla94
what did you do in your 4 week review? i started the same time as you and still not had mine yet haha. :smile:

well guess what? someone in my store has been kept on but never had a review. So dont depend on the review. Also its just filing a few forms in, thats it. It pretty what NachoD said. I got mine because i told the team leader about it and since it wasnt busy she did mine the same day. So dont worry that much.
Hi Guys,

I applied for a General Assistant job last night, and received an email today telling me I needed to arrange an interview, have done that and my interview is this Thursday.

Just a couple of questions, when they say you'll be asked what you know about Sainsburys, do you just say things like "Sainsburys is a leading supermarket" and it values it's fresh food range etc.

And what is involved in the role-play side of things. Quite nervous as the only other job I've had I was never interviewed just got given the job!

Cheers Tom
Original post by TomJacobs
Hi Guys,

I applied for a General Assistant job last night, and received an email today telling me I needed to arrange an interview, have done that and my interview is this Thursday.

Just a couple of questions, when they say you'll be asked what you know about Sainsburys, do you just say things like "Sainsburys is a leading supermarket" and it values it's fresh food range etc.

well that's that answer i gave and you will be asked why you wanna work here

And what is involved in the role-play side of things. Quite nervous as the only other job I've had I was never interviewed just got given the job!

Not too sure with the role play due to only me being present at the interview.

Cheers Tom

Answers in bold

Also the dvd testis common sense as well.
Original post by hasm
well guess what? someone in my store has been kept on but never had a review. So dont depend on the review. Also its just filing a few forms in, thats it. It pretty what NachoD said. I got mine because i told the team leader about it and since it wasnt busy she did mine the same day. So dont worry that much.

Hey hasm, how many people are at the Induction? Is it a huge group...? If so then :frown: .....I'm not so good with a whole bunch of people around -_-
Reply 9844

You can't go too wrong with something along those lines, just keep your responses customer focused and based around the company vision and goal ie "To be the most trusted retailer where people love to work and shop." and "To make all our customers’ lives easier every day by offering great quality and service at fair prices."
I don't recall any role-play when I had my interview (although this was 3 years ago!), either way again just apply a customer focused approach and use your common sense :smile:.

Original post by JohnnyGat.
Hey hasm, how many people are at the Induction? Is it a huge group...? If so then :frown: .....I'm not so good with a whole bunch of people around -_-

It varies it could be a large group or just a few of you, it depends on how many people the store has recruited recently. It's a pretty relaxed environment though and everyone else there will be new to Sainsbury's so you're all in the same boat :smile:.
Reply 9845

mine was with 8 other people. But dont worry you will know everythng by the end of the day and the people who you will be working with mainly by the end of your 2 day induction. Now i am nearly friends with everyone in the store, when i just started 5weeks ago. So dont worry tooo much and aslo the induction leader will be very nice.
Thanks for the replies. Seems like they will literally test your common sense! Hopefully this is the case! Makes me less nervous. Also once you're employed do they tend to offer a lot of overtime straight away or once you've been there a while?

Tom
Reply 9847
Also once you're employed do they tend to offer a lot of overtime straight away or once you've been there a while?

Depends how much they need the hours really, I don't think there's any policy which advises against it. But if you're willing to do overtime then let your line manager/team leader know, it can't hurt to ask! :smile:
Original post by NachoD
Depends how much they need the hours really, I don't think there's any policy which advises against it. But if you're willing to do overtime then let your line manager/team leader know, it can't hurt to ask! :smile:

Kind of what I thought. Just didn't know if preference went to "senior" employees as it were. I'm kinda of hoping IF I get the job that I can virtually turn it into full time with overtime! :smile:
Reply 9849
Hi everyone. I recently applied for a General Assistant job at my local Sainburys store and my interview is this Tuesday. It is a temporary contract and i am very nervous.

Could anyone tell me what to expect, any tips or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
Reply 9850
Whats the policy with fake ID's on checkouts? As in, do we have the right to take it off the person, or do we call our supervisor..?

Original post by Mark091
Hi everyone. I recently applied for a General Assistant job at my local Sainburys store and my interview is this Tuesday. It is a temporary contract and i am very nervous.

Could anyone tell me what to expect, any tips or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Get there early, do some research about the company and smile! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9851
Hiiiii,
Ive been working for sainsburys for about 2 weeks now, and i need some holiday leave. i can never seem to find the right time to ask someone about it as whenever i do see someone, its when they're busy or im working.....
Someone said something about going to the 'captains desk', does anyone know what that is :s haha ?

and do you have to talk to the manager directly or arrange a time to see them about leave.... big thanks to anyone that responds. Peace out. :s-smilie:
Original post by Yule
Hiiiii,
Ive been working for sainsburys for about 2 weeks now, and i need some holiday leave. i can never seem to find the right time to ask someone about it as whenever i do see someone, its when they're busy or im working.....
Someone said something about going to the 'captains desk', does anyone know what that is :s haha ?

and do you have to talk to the manager directly or arrange a time to see them about leave.... big thanks to anyone that responds. Peace out. :s-smilie:

go to your manager, say you need to book some time off, can you please sit down and just check the schedule.
i have a question of my own for you all... whats the MINIMUM number of hours for a contract at sainsburys, out of interest? i remember someone said it was like 12?
Reply 9854
Original post by inksplodge
i have a question of my own for you all... whats the MINIMUM number of hours for a contract at sainsburys, out of interest? i remember someone said it was like 12?

Yes it's 12 hours.
Original post by NachoD
Yes it's 12 hours.

cool, thanks. :smile:
Reply 9856
Original post by inksplodge
go to your manager, say you need to book some time off, can you please sit down and just check the schedule.

Thanks a lot man, my other problem is when is the best time to talk to my manager , cuz I can only catch her when I'm working ..... Cheers x
Please dont tell me Sainsburys is open on New years day?

I take it its open Christmas eve and New years eve though?
Reply 9858
Original post by LondonCity

More than likely to be open, usually only closed Christmas day and boxing day. It's better to check with your store though, they should have their seasonal opening times by now.
Original post by LondonCity

My store is open, which means I'll be working Christmas Eve, New Years Eve and New Years Day for the third year in a row...gutted. :frown: