Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I must be mad working bank holiday (
    I'm sure I booked it off. When those holiday forms come out in new yr I am definately filling it in that same day!! First come first served!

ReputationRep:
    When is the next payday???????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramnaresh_2000)
    When is the next payday???????
    11th September... seems soooo far away!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeesKnees)
    Thought so......thanks mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    I must be mad working bank holiday (
    I'm sure I booked it off. When those holiday forms come out in new yr I am definately filling it in that same day!! First come first served!
    Hmm.. So am I. At least we get paid a premium, so its not all bad!

And does everyone know about the 2.5% pay increase from Period 7 (next week i think) I'm going from £5.36 to £6.74 because I'm 18 in a couple of weeks. It seems like so much! I think it's ageist to pay U18's less tbh :yep:

(Original post by BeesKnees)
    Less than 2 weeks :woo: Can't wait... need it so badly! Wonder how much Mr Tax Man will take this time

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it is unfair but the under 18s do get extra breaks every shift.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by setmefree)
    I don't I suppose I could get out the handbook, but for the sake of 2 weeks now, I CBA! Saying that though, I've had over a year and half to do it :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by setmefree)
    Well, they should..

Im still miffed about the idea behind the breaks. If you're scheduled for 9 hours, you get an hours lunch AND two 15 minutes. Yet if you do 8 hours you get one half hour? Something that annoys me slightly.

Im on 5.92 at the minute, what does it go up to with the raise?

Yeah but if you do 8 hours you get paid for 8 hours. If you do 9 hours you still only get paid for 8 hours with the hour's lunchbreak. Depends how you like to work.

ReputationRep:
    Pay rise is next week :eek: I did all my overtime in the wrong month! Well, i will be in uni next month but whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh-No!)

And does everyone know about the 2.5% pay increase from Period 7 (next week i think) I'm going from £5.36 to £6.74 because I'm 18 in a couple of weeks. It seems like so much! I think it's ageist to pay U18's less tbh :yep:

Less than 2 weeks :woo: Can't wait... need it so badly! Wonder how much Mr Tax Man will take this time
    I agree that its ageist too. Where's the logic behind paying under 18's less???? I didn't know we were getting a rise? Although this reeeeally doesn't surprise me! Communication isn't a Sainsburys strong point bless their little cotton socks!

ReputationRep:
    I have another question about taking £50 notes at the till.

Do i check the note myself (scribble on the queens face) or is it necessary to alert a supervisor before I do that.

I always thought I needed to call a supervisor as they had "other special" ways of checking the note was real...but today when I called one over, she just told me to use the marker pen on the queen's face, and then she said "yep thats fine".

Could I not have just done that myself? :rolleyes:

So did I actually need to call a supervisor or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Yeah but if you do 8 hours you get paid for 8 hours. If you do 9 hours you still only get paid for 8 hours with the hour's lunchbreak. Depends how you like to work.
    I tell my dept. manager that I don't have a lunchbreak (I prefer not to eat at work) so he pays he for all the hours I'm in, rather than docking me a lunchhour!

ReputationRep:
    I have been till-trained now for almost 3 months, but I only do about 30 minutes every weekend (as a lunchcover), so I am still quite inexperienced.

Anyway, the 4 main problems I have are as follows:

1. Don't know how to change the till receipt roll when it runs out. It's never happened to me yet, but I know it will someday.

2. I struggle to open the clamps on the Pod tills for some reason. for this reason, i usually ask to avoid pods because I don't wanna get embarrassed.

3. Giftcards, WTF? :eek3: Don't know how to check a balance, and even so, when a customer wants to use the £11.53 already on the giftcard, and then pay the final £8.09 from their debit card...WTF? Have no idea.!

4. If a customer gives me a product with a torn barcode label (so it wont scan, and I cant input the barcode numbers either) but they say "it was 79p if that's any help" how do I manually input the 79p? Am I even allowed to do it or must a supervisor do it?

Any hints and advice would be greatly appreciated on any of these worries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)

Do i check the note myself (scribble on the queens face) or is it necessary to alert a supervisor before I do that.

I always thought I needed to call a supervisor as they had "other special" ways of checking the note was real...but today when I called one over, she just told me to use the marker pen on the queen's face, and then she said "yep thats fine".

If, like we have, you have a money checker pen on every till, then you don't need to call a supervisor unless of course it is obviously fake or when you check it with the pen it shows the ink.
    Another way of seeing if they're real is to run your finger over the Bank of England text at the top of the note, if you can feel the words with your finger then it is real. By when I say feel the words, they are slightly raised with the ink they use when printing the notes.

ReputationRep:
    I have been till-trained now for almost 3 months, but I only do about 30 minutes every weekend (as a lunchcover), so I am still quite inexperienced.

Anyway, the 4 main problems I have are as follows:

1. Don't know how to change the till receipt roll when it runs out. It's never happened to me yet, but I know it will someday.

2. I struggle to open the clamps on the Pod tills for some reason. for this reason, i usually ask to avoid pods because I don't wanna get embarrassed.

3. Giftcards, WTF? :eek3: Don't know how to check a balance, and even so, when a customer wants to use the £11.53 already on the giftcard, and then pay the final £8.09 from their debit card...WTF? Have no idea.!

4. If a customer gives me a product with a torn barcode label (so it wont scan, and I cant input the barcode numbers either) but they say "it was 79p if that's any help" how do I manually input the 79p? Am I even allowed to do it or must a supervisor do it?

Any hints and advice would be greatly appreciated on any of these worries.
    1. You open the top cover on the printer with the button on the rigt hand side, take out the old roll, and place the new roll inside the printer, pulling the end of the roll paper closed over the cover. I usually press last receipt after i change the roll to check I have done it correctly. You do have to undo the new roll so you have the paper coming out of the cover where you close it.
    2. Just put your key in and turn, the lock should lift up and you just slide it off the drawer. Sometimes they need a little force if someone has placed it on tightly.
    3.At the end of the transaction, if a customer gives you a gift card, at the tender screen press giftcard, and swipe the card, the till will then show the balance on the card, ask the customer how much they want to take off, enter the amount and press enter.
    Or if you just want a balance enquiry, press Gift Card on the scanning screen and press Balance Enquiry then swipe the card.
    4. Yes you should call a supervisor for this, they can enter the price using a department sale which only people with supervisor numbers for the tills can do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh-No!)

£6.74? Mine is only going up to £6.23 from £6.08, what band are you in? I'm in band 2 and am already 18 years old

ReputationRep:

If every till has a pen then I don't think you need to call anyone unless its fake. Just use the pen.

In our store we only have about 5 pens between 12 checkouts so you have to call a supervisor over each time to get them to check the note with a pen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perfectimperfection)
    £6.74? Mine is only going up to £6.23 from £6.08, what band are you in? I'm in band 2 and am already 18 years old
    Pay doesn't only vary between the bands. It varies depending on location. Those who work in London and the South East generally get paid more than those who work elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flipshot)
    If every till has a pen then I don't think you need to call anyone unless its fake. Just use the pen.

In our store we only have about 5 pens between 12 checkouts so you have to call a supervisor over each time to get them to check the note with a pen.
    Yeah, thanks both of you for pointing this out to me. I blame our till-trainer; she is so ancient that she probably has no idea of the system in place nowadays. :rolleyes: She definitely told us that we need someone else to 'supervise' the taking of £50 notes. What an idiot lol.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.