Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    You get the night shift premium for the hours you work before 6am. My manager hasn't spoken to me about xmas yet, I've heard she wants me to do twice my normal hours - this will be my fourth xmas in online and don't particularly want to spend too many hours there, it's absolute hell.
    I start working at 5 normally but don't get any extra for that hour it's only my second christmas there so the overtime over christmas is good but hate the nights

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    depends on their needs, really.
    Say your being made permanent.

When would you be sent a letter?

ReputationRep:
    Ive got a interview soon as a code checker any tips for the interview? I have also worked for Sainsbury for about 4 years in the past.

ReputationRep:
    do shift hours change during xmas or do you do the same shifts and if its on a day the stores closed do you just get the shift off?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Negotiator)
    Ive got a interview soon as a code checker any tips for the interview? I have also worked for Sainsbury for about 4 years in the past.
    Two types of code checking - short life and long life. Have some awareness of the law [i.e. £5,000 for each out of code product left on the shop floor], have some awareness of the difference between the different dates, i.e. display until/sell by, use by, best before etc. Mention how important you think rotation is - it is VERY important. And how correct recording of end of day disposals will be key in ensuring that the store's scorecard is correct, and the inventory not corrupted.

Code checking is a ball ache.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Negotiator)
    Looks like the worst job ever

ReputationRep:
    I used to work on the produce department and already have experience of rotating the stock, scanning the barcodes into the handset and disposals.

Sorry mislabelled the title its Code Controller instead.

This job involve changing the tickets on the items in the whole store putting up new advertisement etc?

(Original post by bubelah)
    Two types of code checking - short life and long life. Have some awareness of the law [i.e. £5,000 for each out of code product left on the shop floor], have some awareness of the difference between the different dates, i.e. display until/sell by, use by, best before etc. Mention how important you think rotation is - it is VERY important. And how correct recording of end of day disposals will be key in ensuring that the store's scorecard is correct, and the inventory not corrupted.

Code checking is a ball ache.

ReputationRep:
    I work for convenience - however the code controllers that work my shift are expected to complete a thorough code check of produce, bakery and fresh/chill; re-rotate the shop, should it need to be done, re-reduce any reductions and complete disposals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gavin-D)
    No either your department manager or a member of HR will tell you either way.

Yes we are moving you to a permanent contract, or sorry but we won't be extending it beyond the temp contract.
    People at my store are receiving letters home and arent told by managers and HR people.

Around what time of your probation period will you be notified? Your last month? Last shift? Few weeks before end of contract?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks people.

Got my leter saying i was permanent today

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys - Whats is like working in Sainsburys in general?

Also is anyone a team leader/trainee manager in this thread?

Just wanted to know what thats also like within Sainsburys?

Plus the process?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I work for convenience - however the code controllers that work my shift are expected to complete a thorough code check of produce, bakery and fresh/chill; re-rotate the shop, should it need to be done, re-reduce any reductions and complete disposals.
    Congratulations !! You have the 10000th post and have won 8000 Nectar Points

:bl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toki_Premium)
    Hey guys - Whats is like working in Sainsburys in general?

Also is anyone a team leader/trainee manager in this thread?

Just wanted to know what thats also like within Sainsburys?

Plus the process?

Thanks
    I'm a team leader for Sainsbury's [grade 3] - poor money for the job I have to do.

I work in convenience - the best performing store in our entire area - and my job satisfaction depends entirely upon whether the rest of the management team do their jobs properly. The only thing that stresses me out is ill-preparation.

There's better companies to work for than Sainsbury's - whilst you're at grade 3 and below, anyway - such as John Lewis. However, once you're at grade 4 and above [beginning with deputy store manager in convenience/department manager in supermarket] the benefits significantly improve.

I've been with Sainsbury's now for 18 weeks - was employed straight away as a team leader, and I hope to be a deputy within two years, three years at an absolute maximum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    Congratulations !! You have the 10000th post and have won 8000 Nectar Points

:bl:
    Isn't it double points right now? I make that 20,000 points thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it double points right now? I make that 20,000 points thanks!
    Am I missing something? Since when has double 8,000 been 20,000? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I'm a team leader for Sainsbury's [grade 3] - poor money for the job I have to do.

I work in convenience - the best performing store in our entire area - and my job satisfaction depends entirely upon whether the rest of the management team do their jobs properly. The only thing that stresses me out is ill-preparation.

There's better companies to work for than Sainsbury's - whilst you're at grade 3 and below, anyway - such as John Lewis. However, once you're at grade 4 and above [beginning with deputy store manager in convenience/department manager in supermarket] the benefits significantly improve.

I've been with Sainsbury's now for 18 weeks - was employed straight away as a team leader, and I hope to be a deputy within two years, three years at an absolute maximum.
    Ahh thankyou for the insight, I applied for Department Manager - Trainee Manager.

I have been working in retail (from apparel and footwear to catering and hospitality for 3 years now and have some supervisory experience under my belt too.

I wasn't expecting to be given an interview but shockingly I got the text saying they want to interview me.

I hear with the trainee dept manager theres 2 interviews?

This is for a nightshift by the way..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam6993)
    Am I missing something? Since when has double 8,000 been 20,000? :confused:
    I was assuming that for making the 10,000th post I'd get 10,000 points but obviously not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toki_Premium)
    Ahh thankyou for the insight, I applied for Department Manager - Trainee Manager.

I have been working in retail (from apparel and footwear to catering and hospitality for 3 years now and have some supervisory experience under my belt too.

I wasn't expecting to be given an interview but shockingly I got the text saying they want to interview me.

I hear with the trainee dept manager theres 2 interviews?

This is for a nightshift by the way..
    I take it you work for Sainsbury's now? Isn't it a prerequisite that you work for Sainsbury's before applying for deputy/department manager and above?

ReputationRep:
    I take it you work for Sainsbury's now? Isn't it a prerequisite that you work for Sainsbury's before applying for deputy/department manager and above?
    Nope I don't work for Sainsburys. I work for somewhere else currently full time.

Again though I remind you its 'Trainee Department Manager' with full training provided if I were to be successful.

Also on their website they externally recruit for TDP, DPs, even store managers. Apparently 1/3 of their workforce got internally promoted according to stats.

I just think the interview will be a brilliant chance for me to gain insight into what the next level 'department managers and up' are about and the interview process.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. My induction starts this week and I believe pay day is on Friday 2nd (not sure if definite, please correct me if wrong). Do you know if I will receive pay on that date (particularly for my induction and working shifts up to the 2nd December)?

Thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.