Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me the procedure of getting a transfer from one store to another? eg: how long would it take, how long should have I worked for Sainsbury's in order to be eligable for a transfer and who to ask etc. I've only started recently, and I'm thinking of moving to a store which is closer to my uni which is in the same county as the store I'm working in.

Thanks!

First step is to phone the HR department of the store you want to move to, to see if there's any space for you.

ReputationRep:
    So I just got off the phone with personnel and apparently I didn't pass the test. Back to looking around online and town tomorrow then for a different job.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys,
    I have just filled in the online questionaire, my local sainsbury has 3 part time jobs, does anyone know how long do they reply in?
    I REALLY want to leave my job at mcdonalds it is damn right depressing!!! :stomp:

Can take anywhere between less than a day to a fortnight. If you haven't passed you'll be notified within a few days at most though.

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview on saturday what sort of questions can I expect? and I heard I have to watch a sales dvd ?

ReputationRep:
    I just started my job at Sainsburys as a CSA and I already hate it. I'm still struggling with the tills and can't figure out how to put money on and take money off a gift card, I can't find all of the veg or fruit in the PLU group, which results in frustrated customers, coupons and vouchers baffle me lol. The other day I gave a customer the wrong change, I felt so stupid. I want to leave!!!!!!!

I have applied for a job as Gen assitant (Sains) in central London, its a night shift so I won't have to deal with bloody customers and it pays £8.30 per/hr. Would it be possible to change seeing as it's still with Sainsburys, or will it be a problem as I've only been at my current job since Monday. Any advice????

(Original post by [email protected])
    I just started my job at Sainsburys as a CSA and I already hate it. I'm still struggling with the tills and can't figure out how to put money on and take money off a gift card, I can't find all of the veg or fruit in the PLU group, which results in frustrated customers, coupons and vouchers baffle me lol. The other day I gave a customer the wrong change, I felt so stupid. I want to leave!!!!!!!

I have applied for a job as Gen assitant (Sains) in central London, its a night shift so I won't have to deal with bloody customers and it pays £8.30 per/hr. Would it be possible to change seeing as it's still with Sainsburys, or will it be a problem as I've only been at my current job since Monday. Any advice????

I think it's worth remembering, that no one is expecting you to be perfect - more so as you are new.

If it's any consolation, the things you mentioned (PLU Codes, Giftcard (EFTs) etc) are what most (if not all) new starters have problems with. You'll soon get the hang of it, as like most things in life, it comes with practise.

If you've decided that you *really* don't want to continue as a CSA, then you could try the internal transfer system. Unfortunately, it doesn't guarantee anything and you could simply be asked to apply like any other candidate. If you would like to consider your options, speak to your stores HR. In most cases, you're advised to contact the HR of the store you wish to move to, however, that is mainly for those who wish to transfer, but there are no vacancies advertised.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone here familiar with the skip meetings that are supposed to occur every day (at 11am in my store)??

I have been at sainsburys a couple of years, but have never really gotten my head around the disposals section of the store.

When a product is damaged beyond repair (i.e. split packet of rice), we write down the barcode number etc. on the disposals sheet, and then dispose of the damaged goods.

However, do we just throw the split rice in the bin, or do we place it (complete with its packagaing) in a special crate for the following morning's skip meeting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])

This is just new starters' nerves. Everybody goes through this, including me. If its any consolation, I have been till-trained 3 months now and I still don't know anything about giftcards. I am not a cashier, I am a replenisher, but when it gets busy they put a call out for extra staff to come on tills, so I maybe do tills about 30 mins every week.

You will get the hang of it soon, I promise. It's daunting to remember your way around the PLU groups even when experienced, so for a new starter of course you're going to make mistakes.

Maybe consider asking for a badge (if they do them in your store) that says "colleague in training" or something, so the customers know you are still learning your trade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    This is just new starters' nerves. Everybody goes through this, including me. If its any consolation, I have been till-trained 3 months now and I still don't know anything about giftcards. I am not a cashier, I am a replenisher, but when it gets busy they put a call out for extra staff to come on tills, so I maybe do tills about 30 mins every week.

You will get the hang of it soon, I promise. It's daunting to remember your way around the PLU groups even when experienced, so for a new starter of course you're going to make mistakes.

Maybe consider asking for a badge (if they do them in your store) that says "colleague in training" or something, so the customers know you are still learning your trade.
    If it is any help for you, I can end up going through the initial PLU group list about 6 times before I find the menu I want

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone here familiar with the skip meetings that are supposed to occur every day (at 11am in my store)??

I have been at sainsburys a couple of years, but have never really gotten my head around the disposals section of the store.

When a product is damaged beyond repair (i.e. split packet of rice), we write down the barcode number etc. on the disposals sheet, and then dispose of the damaged goods.

However, do we just throw the split rice in the bin, or do we place it (complete with its packagaing) in a special crate for the following morning's skip meeting?
    I have never heard of a skip meeting (we have an 11am meeting each day but thats mainly just about budgets and targets and things) but in the past month or so they have changed the disposals process in my store. It now all has to go though one of the RSS guns, we used to just write it down on the sheet like you said but it now has to be scanned by the gun and the paperwork needs to be printed from the computer. You then have to put them in 2 of the clear rubbish bags and place them into a crate out the back. All very specific and they have been giving warnings of disaplinaries if you get it wrong.

Might just be my store though or a specific region trialing it.

(Original post by Foulish)
    If it is any help for you, I can end up going through the initial PLU group list about 6 times before I find the menu I want
    You're all a lot braver than me. I couldn't even face entering the PLU menu. I didn't go anywhere near a till without a list of the PLU codes in my pocket :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    You're all a lot braver than me. I couldn't even face entering the PLU menu. I didn't go anywhere near a till without a list of the PLU codes in my pocket :p:
    :eek: I love the PLU group!! I don't know why lol :p:

ReputationRep:

we get calls for all available colleagues attending skip meeting to go there, never been before, just can't be bothered got enough to do already.
    when i find any damaged stuff, i generally stick it on the shelf by the bailer or in the fridge in the relevant section if it is a fresh item. only thing i don't put on the shelf or in the fridge are broken glass items which need to be disposed immediately in the bins outside, but i would need to scan it through disposals on the handset though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    I have

I had like an induction sort of thing on Friday and I had my first 'proper' day today

It's time to knuckle down :yep: and you? Hows it going?

yup just started.

Working hard this year, im doing like 2 hours a day just to stay on top of things =D

Hopefully this knuckling down will work for the both of us

(Original post by DDS)
    yup just started.

Working hard this year, im doing like 2 hours a day just to stay on top of things =D

Hopefully this knuckling down will work for the both of us

I'm so bogged down with papers! Specimen paper here.. specimen paper there.. :eek:

Plus, my Waterstones card doesn't seem to want to work online, which means I'll have to enter the store :eek: to get my books!

I guess it's work, work and more work! I can't afford to mess up!

I NEED to set up some sort of internet filter, I have a mini-History essay due and I should have been getting notes.. but I've ended up spending too much time listening to Scott Mills! (:love:) and on TSR! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flipshot)
    I have never heard of a skip meeting (we have an 11am meeting each day but thats mainly just about budgets and targets and things) but in the past month or so they have changed the disposals process in my store. It now all has to go though one of the RSS guns, we used to just write it down on the sheet like you said but it now has to be scanned by the gun and the paperwork needs to be printed from the computer. You then have to put them in 2 of the clear rubbish bags and place them into a crate out the back. All very specific and they have been giving warnings of disaplinaries if you get it wrong.

Might just be my store though or a specific region trialing it.
    That's pretty much what we do. However, checkouts log the disposals there through the computer on RSS.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me what the sainsburys interview is like pleaseee :d ?

ReputationRep:
    I had an observation on checkouts today - got the sheet during my service and found I had greens on all sections. Was very happy

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.