Turn on thread page Beta

There are a few women on nightshift at our place but they aren't the young sorts you're probably after :p:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by FXX)
    There are a few women on nightshift at our place but they aren't the young sorts you're probably after :p:
    I can imagine. :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    Boo! I have an interview tomorrow for night shift position (I need something, anything!) and although it's not a big issue I did wonder if it would be mainly guys. :tongue:
    could be an advantage for you if they are mainly guys,- more to talk about and you can be as crude as you like, as there are no girls to tell you off. lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by setmefree)
    Cool.. only knew that since your location is Glasgow and its the only place really hiring right now haha. Most of thems for TU clothing and electricals departments, right? I wish that store was nearer me. Their shifts going right now are better than mines a couple have no weekends!
    Yeah, there's tons of GA positions on the site and most of them are for TU, but the only one with hours I can do is actually frozen foods. I'm pretty near Braehead but it's a real ***** to get to since they stopped the 47 bus. I can still get buses there but they only come once or twice an hour, otherwise it's two buses to get there.

Anyway, I digress.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got selfscans in their store, our store has just recieved 8 and they go live in thursday - customers been going mad, because me NO longer have basket tills where loosing lots of hours on checkouts because of these and training everyone up is a pain - I hope there worth all this trouble.
    Im currently a checkout boy and do alot of running for my checkout team leaders.

I have applied for a part time Checkout Team Leader, Ive had my DVD - where it asks "customer service things + what would you do....?"

I have my formal interview with the checkout manager next monday - any tips/advice Im desperate for this, I really want to become a team leader then become checkout manager for sainsburys in a few years time.
    I belive there is a role play aswell, what type of roles plays do they do.

Thanks for your help
    x

(Original post by gav008)
    Im currently a checkout boy and do alot of running for my checkout team leaders.

I have applied for a part time Checkout Team Leader, Ive had my DVD - where it asks "customer service things + what would you do....?"

I have my formal interview with the checkout manager next monday - any tips/advice Im desperate for this, I really want to become a team leader then become checkout manager for sainsburys in a few years time.

Thanks for your help
    x
    Hi

I'm not too sure if there is a set format for the formal interview; unlike the DVD test, I believe it isn't scripted. So what your manager asks may be entirely different to what someone else was asked..

Again, I'm not too sure on the forum rules stance on such questions and answers; as I believe we're no longer able to give exact questions, but I think we're fine for tips and general advice.

I would begin, by analysing the role. As you've had experience of running the line, I'm sure you'll be at an advantage. You'll no doubt be asked how you would manage shifts (scheduling, other staff), your interviewer will no doubt be looking to provoke a reaction; so be prepared for a question that might question your attitude and anger management. The Team Leader role, as I'm sure you're already aware, is a demanding one, and there will be moments where you'll want to lash out at someone - preferably those that think it's OK to arrive late! :rolleyes:

As part of the role play, I was asked to assist on the department. You'll basically be watched and you'll be asked to do what you would normally do. It'll involve managing the schedule, opening a checkout, assisting with the change run. But as the policy for change (for ex.) has changed, what you'll do depends on when your interview is.

I would also be prepared for the store manager to pop-in or watch you. In both the stores I've worked at, the store manager was proactive and was always at the checkout desk making sure things were running smoothly; so you'll need to be confident around him.

It's worth remembering that they'll be looking for someone that's efficient, enthusiastic and enterprising. So, be yourself. Don't prepare and memorise a massive long essay about why you're the perfect candidate - because you'll end up reading it back and you'll sound like a robot - not good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gav008)
    Anyone got selfscans in their store, our store has just recieved 8 and they go live in thursday - customers been going mad, because me NO longer have basket tills where loosing lots of hours on checkouts because of these and training everyone up is a pain - I hope there worth all this trouble.

Thanks for your help
    x
    8? is that it? we have about 16. They're a pain in the arse, i don't work on them too often fortunately

ReputationRep:
    16 self scan.... we've got......... 0!!

(Original post by Oh-No!)
    16 self scan.... we've got......... 0!!
    Same We're not a small store but we don't have any self-scans, and I don't think there are any plans to get in anytime soon either... then again all the management is being swapped around at the moment (new store manager, new grocery manager, a couple of new department managers) so who knows.

ReputationRep:
    We're right in the city centre, all basket shoppers getting there lunches or picking up a few bits after work, so tonnes of the buggers is fairly useful tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Self scans in my local tesco is absolutely crap I hope the Sainsbury's self scans are better!

ReputationRep:
    The morrisons ones are worse. The ones we have are the same as tesco's but loads of the features have been taken off, like you can only pat in cash or card, coupons are done at manned tills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Untitled258)
    The morrisons ones are worse. The ones we have are the same as tesco's but loads of the features have been taken off, like you can only pat in cash or card, coupons are done at manned tills.
    If you scan an item on Self Scan in my local tesco express there is high likelihood that it wont scan and it will make some loud ringing noise, which is meant to inform the colleague that a customer needs help, but they never come in mine...it totally pisses me off

ReputationRep:
    My local tesco extra has self scan which was put in when they extended not that long ago, so they seem to work fine. They are the same as the sainsburys ones, but they are blue.

I agree that the morrisons ones are worst, they had to be different and get a completely different system to everyone else, which shouts after scanning an item every few seconds "place item in bag"

ReputationRep:
    It tells you to put it in the bag before its even finished reading the barcode, i just don't like the design of them, why is the bagging area around the corner so you have to proper bend around to put stuff in the bags? just let us drop it in ffs! Argh. I cant stand morrisons, i used to work there, no i'm bitter because it just wasn't good.

ReputationRep:
    Gah! First paycheck was emergency taxed!! £60 of £300 went straight into tax - NOT a happy bunny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longorefisher)
    Gah! First paycheck was emergency taxed!! £60 of £300 went straight into tax - NOT a happy bunny.
    Got taxed £22 from £110 (N)

ReputationRep:
    emergency tax, what's that?
    i calculate the tax that was taken to be 20%, but isn't that the normal rate? and don't we get it taken off every pay packet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mug51)
    emergency tax, what's that?
    i calculate the tax that was taken to be 20%, but isn't that the normal rate? and don't we get it taken off every pay packet?
    Everyone has an annual tax-free 'personal allowance' that they can earn before paying any Income Tax. Currently this is £6,475 for most people, so you shouldn't be paying 20% tax on all of your income in a year, but only on the excess over £6,475.

"Emergency tax" is a term used to describe how your employer may deduct Income Tax from your pay if you don't give them the information that they need to put you on the correct tax code (which is a code, shown on your payslip, that represents your personal allowance). Use of a tax code in this way generally means that on a cumulative basis over the entire year, you should pay roughly the right amount of tax.

In fact, the situation here is slightly different from true "emergency tax" (which results in a tax code of "647L WK1" or similar, and treating each pay period in isolation without looking at a cumulative picture over the whole year). Here, all income is being taxed at the basic rate (20%), on the assumption that you have no personal allowance (and this can be checked by seeing a tax code of "BR" on your payslip). To get this fixed, you generally just need to give your tax office a call (contact details here). If you have a code of "647L", then most likely you are being taxed correctly.

ReputationRep:
    ahh thanx illusionary, i knew there was a tax free allowance, but always wondered how it works.
    Since i have been working at Sainsbury's since December last year I had 20% tax taken off every month, and your right my tax code on my payslip is BR :gthumb:

shall give them a call sometime, i procrastinate too much so it probably won't get done for while :rolleyes: i'll just treat it as a 0% savings account for the moment

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.