Turn on thread page Beta

Sainsburys thread MK ll watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've always wondered whether I have to ID someone who looks under 25 but who I know to be over 18, say if it was some acquaintance whose age I know (though not a friend, obviously), or someone else that works at the store.

(Original post by inksplodge)
    Right, can someone help me out maybe? If I'm starting induction on Thursday (24th) and I assume properly starting the week after (1st) when will I be paid? & I assume you aren't paid for induction, or at least not 'til you leave? I'm trying to work out how much I'm going to have to borrow from my parents for taxis at night time... :eek3:
    You're getting taxis for a night shift? Wut? O_o. Surely that would eat up a large amount of your pay?

Ouch, I'd hate to do 9-7, and make a point to only ever do 8 hour shifts. Did you confirm when your induction was? I'd presume that it was probably during the day, when the store trainer etc. is. I really think you should call them to confirm this!
    My last week of shifts this week, soooo cannot wait
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by estel)
    You're getting taxis for a night shift? Wut? O_o. Surely that would eat up a large amount of your pay?

Ouch, I'd hate to do 9-7, and make a point to only ever do 8 hour shifts. Did you confirm when your induction was? I'd presume that it was probably during the day, when the store trainer etc. is. I really think you should call them to confirm this!
    My last week of shifts this week, soooo cannot wait
    I don't fancy walking through town in the dark on my own, especially on a friday/saturday night :tongue: Safety first and all... It won't be too much. Between £12-£15 for the whole week :dontknow: I'd get the bus but... they stop running at 5.45.

Er, well they rang me to say it was thursday, friday and saturday at the times I've written down. You think I should ring them to double check? :redface: I think I'll be ok, surely? Just run to the customer service desk about 20 minutes beforehand... :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I don't fancy walking through town in the dark on my own, especially on a friday/saturday night :tongue: Safety first and all... It won't be too much. Between £12-£15 for the whole week :dontknow: I'd get the bus but... they stop running at 5.45.

Er, well they rang me to say it was thursday, friday and saturday at the times I've written down. You think I should ring them to double check? :redface: I think I'll be ok, surely? Just run to the customer service desk about 20 minutes beforehand... :woo:
    Ahh ok, I guess that's pretty cheap for the whole week!
    I only said about "checking" as you seemed unsure whether your induction was during the day or night :s. Personally, I'd have thought that, at least the first one, would have been during the day.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by estel)
    Ahh ok, I guess that's pretty cheap for the whole week!
    I only said about "checking" as you seemed unsure whether your induction was during the day or night :s. Personally, I'd have thought that, at least the first one, would have been during the day.
    Mmm, but I'll only be working three days a week so that's probably why :tongue: Yeah... The times I've been given are 4.30 to 8.30, 4.30 to 8.30 and 9 til 5. I'm assuming these are all day times. I also imagine it's day time because the guy interviewing me said training would be outside my hours because of people younger than 18 not being allowed to train at night because of h&s and stuff... Exciting. I'm going to ask when I get there, though!

ReputationRep:
    Mmm, but I'll only be working three days a week so that's probably why :tongue: Yeah... The times I've been given are 4.30 to 8.30, 4.30 to 8.30 and 9 til 5. I'm assuming these are all day times. I also imagine it's day time because the guy interviewing me said training would be outside my hours because of people younger than 18 not being allowed to train at night because of h&s and stuff... Exciting. I'm going to ask when I get there, though!
    Yeah, induction will be during the day or evening as it's done by dedicated trainers who don't work on your normal shift hours.

Can't you cycle or something?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by FXX)
    Can't you cycle or something?
    Maybe if I had a bike :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Is it actually safe to make another account to apply? i really wanna re apply but i keep thinking ill get caught or end up seeing someone at the interview that i saw before and them catching me out

EDIT: Also, as i dont like using phones, my dad called my stores HR to get feedback for why i failed, and he was told because of data protection only im allowed to know why. how annoying :/
    Although she also told him one of the reasons i could have not got the job was because it was a 6am start and im 16 and theres some law that doesnt allow me to do early and late hours?

Silly Silly.

Everyone makes new accounts. They don't check them.

Not to be rude but maybe it's time you learned how to use a phone? All you have to do is call the store, ask for HR, and ask them what's happening.

There can't be any laws against starting at 6am under 18 because there are a few on our online department that do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eddikins)
    Although she also told him one of the reasons i could have not got the job was because it was a 6am start and im 16 and theres some law that doesnt allow me to do early and late hours?
    That's weird - if that's true, why did they bother to interview you in the first place?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Is it actually safe to make another account to apply? i really wanna re apply but i keep thinking ill get caught or end up seeing someone at the interview that i saw before and them catching me out

EDIT: Also, as i dont like using phones, my dad called my stores HR to get feedback for why i failed, and he was told because of data protection only im allowed to know why. how annoying :/

Silly Silly.
    Just ring up! I've got a hearing impairment and it was difficult as hell to hear the people on the phone but I still managed it. If I can do it, you can! :tongue: Have a bit of confidence in yourself. =)

That could be a factor, though. I know the guy interviewing me was saying training has to be at certain times because of the under 18s. Still seems weird they'd interview you just to reject you for that reason though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Everyone makes new accounts. They don't check them.
    What happens if the store finds out though? you lose the job?

No, seriously, they don't care. They don't check. HR have much better things to be doing like making sure you get paid right.

ReputationRep:
    I did it, and I still have my job after a year. I've even said to my manager I did it.

ReputationRep:

Silly Silly.
    the 6am start thing is true, i have the same issue (almost got offered some overtime on night shift then they realised i was too young) until your 18 you can only work between the hours of 7am and 10pm and it can be changed on request in exceptional circumstances to 8am-11pm check the direct gov website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leighthesim)
    the 6am start thing is true, i have the same issue (almost got offered some overtime on night shift then they realised i was too young) until your 18 you can only work between the hours of 7am and 10pm and it can be changed on request in exceptional circumstances to 8am-11pm check the direct gov website.
    Ive never known Sainsburys to break the law in such a big way. We have under 18's that start at 6 in our store, weekends :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I dont know of any under 18s that work before 7am, its probably just an oversight in your stores?

The new red POS is rubbish, it looks well tacky, and makes the shops look like pound stores

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leighthesim)
    Unless im looking in the wrong section of directgov, it says if your under 16 you cant do up till 6am, nothing about a 6am start.

Ill make a new account later :o:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Well you definitely can't do night shift, that's as much as I know.

You should really ring up and find out why you weren't successful, though.

ReputationRep:
    Well you definitely can't do night shift, that's as much as I know.

You should really ring up and find out why you weren't successful, though.
    I know this much as well.

Ive made a new account, and i will phone HR tomorrow. Depending on what they tell me, ill apply straight after.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.