Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Sainsburys thread MK ll watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longorefisher)
    Haha I did something really stupid today. Customer came to my till and I absent-mindedly went: "Hiya love, how are you today?" I picked up the toilet roll out of her basket and she stared at it/me.

I went to ask her, "Is there something wrong?" and she said, "Can I have that back, please?" I gave it to her and she said: "Don't ever call me love" before going to my mate who was one the basket till next to me (he just looked flabbergasted). He went through the plesantries and she didn't acknowledge him once.

Ooopsie! Little slip of the tongue there could have been embarrasing :-S
    You were just being eager Which is good, but some customers are right......... annoyances!

(Original post by XCRUSHESX)
    You were just being eager Which is good, but some customers are right......... annoyances!
    Yeah. They have to take offence to things even though it's obvious you're just trying to be friendly. Makes you wonder why you bother sometimes.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I'd be well pleased if someone did that to me, I usually get scowls!

ReputationRep:
    Who on earth gets offended by being called love?! Customers call me love all the time, usually old me though, i think its a yorkshire thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Yeah. They have to take offence to things even though it's obvious you're just trying to be friendly. Makes you wonder why you bother sometimes.
    I know but it makes it worth it when you have those customers that respond with so much enthusiasm!

One customer randomly asked me how I was and I told them about my day I love to see my customers smile!

(Original post by Untitled258)
    Who on earth gets offended by being called love?! Customers call me love all the time, usually old me though, i think its a yorkshire thing.
    I guess some find it condescending.

My old psychology teacher got angry at a pupil for calling her love saying "Don't call me love, no one calls me love".

Was quite surreal as she is generally a lovely teacher, I presumed that the word 'love' was used by someone she hated aka her ex husband :ninja: lol

ReputationRep:
    I call everyone love, or darling, or sunshine, oh well, i guess im a git

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same! I'm from Derbyshire so 90% of customers call me 'duck' when they ask for something and i've never got offended.

ReputationRep:
    Saturday 17th shall be my 1 year anniversary... oh how I actually don't give a damn! :yep:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    sister has given me whatever she has... sore throat and chest currently urgh just had to happen the day before induction starts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    sister has given me whatever she has... sore throat and chest currently urgh just had to happen the day before induction starts
    Oh no what a nightmare. I had a migraine the last day of mine. Was a 9 hour day too, it was horrible. One of the other women had one too, probably nerves! So I wouldn't worry, you probably wont be alone feeling rough!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    Oh no what a nightmare. I had a migraine the last day of mine. Was a 9 hour day too, it was horrible. One of the other women had one too, probably nerves! So I wouldn't worry, you probably wont be alone feeling rough!
    I've just had to cancel my volunteering this afternoon... I can't walk down the road without gasping for breath :rolleyes: hope I'm better tomorrow otherwise = death

Also, do I need my contract for induction? They said it'd come in the post but I still haven't got it yet...

ReputationRep:
    I always thought we where the most middle class of the big 4 supermarkets, and we are selling silly skeletons pftt! (though my middle class logic falls on its arse when i think about them employing me)
    Out of ASDA, Morrisons, Tescos and us?

We're definately the more upmarket out of the lot.

ReputationRep:
    LOL last night I went to my local tesco since there are no Sainsburys in my area and they had a reduced item which I brought that wasnt scanning, and I go to the colleague, "Don't worry about it, I work at Sainsburys, reduced items are right buggers".... Then they started referring to me as the "rival" and if I wanted a clubcard and that I shouldn't be in their store :p:

It was quite funny! loool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    I've just had to cancel my volunteering this afternoon... I can't walk down the road without gasping for breath :rolleyes: hope I'm better tomorrow otherwise = death

Also, do I need my contract for induction? They said it'd come in the post but I still haven't got it yet...
    Thats strange, we were given ours at inductions, I thought that was standard. Most of ours were mucked up & had to be given new ones so it was just as well. That wasted about 2 hours on the first night!
    I guess if it hasn't arrived, its not your fault so should be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScarletBlaster)
    Out of ASDA, Morrisons, Tescos and us?

We're definitely the more upmarket out of the lot.
    :yep: Sainsburys were notoriously dear compared to the others, but you got what you paid for. It has got cheaper these days. I think Jamie oliver has helped to get rid of the pricey stigma attached, & the prices are a bit more on par with Tesco now.

ReputationRep:
    We had our store adopter in the other day, and he said on Basics, and possible own brand stuff, not ttd, we will price the things at the same price as tescos, even if we are making a loss on them.

Sainsburys quality is genuinely better then the others anyway.

ReputationRep:
    We had our store adopter in the other day, and he said on Basics, and possible own brand stuff, not ttd, we will price the things at the same price as tescos, even if we are making a loss on them.

Sainsburys quality is genuinely better then the others anyway.
    I would agree with that. I used to use Somerfield as they were local at the time, then I moved & used Tesco, then I started working at Sainsburys so obviously started using them. The better quality is noticable I reckon. We are busier than ever since the school holidays ended, especially in online dept & we had a new Lidl open up near us too, so our store has done well really :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I applied again last night Theres a sudden want at my store for online shoppers. Theres like 12 positions available

And i agree over the quality of sainsburys. At the moment, im on holiday with my parents in cornwall and theres a morrisons and a sainsburys in the town. At first we went to the morrisons, but now we just keep going to sainsburys :P

ReputationRep:
    Fed up with scanning an item and it comes up 'item not found, enter code/dept' at the bottom of the screen (because of non-ranged stock, bad barcodes etc.).

I always have to call for a supervisor, even though this is now usually the ONLY thing I call supervisors for - because they are the only ones who SHOULD enter the manual price and override.

However, if I get this message again...I can press 'No' on the keypad to get rid of it, and then maybe enter the price myself (if the customer knows it). BUT HOW?

Can someone explain to me please?

EDIT: Actually would that even be possible to enter a price myself, seeing as I have no barcode to scan? I could do 'Reduced Price' but surely that would mess up the schemes.

ReputationRep:
    Some people at my store go for the keying in '4113' which shows as miscellaneous item with things like that. This is mostly in the kiosk when it's busy and we know the price so that we don't have to wait ages for a supervisor to come. Not a good thing really though because Sainsbury's wont really have accurate sales information.. oh well.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.