Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by Lukely)
    Wow I don't post here so much anymore due to time constraints - it's amazing how much you can miss by not coming on here in 4/5 days!

I must make my visits here more frequently again.

Anyway, here is the news: I'm looking for a new job. Haha. Sainsbury's can bite me. :p:
    I'm not sure if I should congratulate you or not.. :p:

Have you left, if so, how come? :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    I'm not sure if I should congratulate you or not.. :p:

Have you left, if so, how come? :cool:
    Haha no, sadly you can't congratulate me yet.

I'm considering my options carefully, I've always said I would never leave without a new job elsewhere on the cards secured!

However, enough is enough. I know, take the good with the bad etc, I have a year's work experience and a small stockpile built up. :p:

BUT in the past year I have been...
    - freezing cold
    - forced to work 8 hour shifts with no food or water on a Saturday
    - failed to be given the correct uniform! I asked for a bloody jacket in the beginning. Did I get one? Like hell did I - still keep asking for it. Still failing to get one.
    - got a new boss this week without even knowing it! Although this has nothing to do with it... (they never tell us anything!! even something important like that?!)
    - bored to near-death
    - nearly left twice because of a deputy manager and a department manager!

SO, like most people, I'm just bored of it. I feel like we've been denied our basic rights and suchlike... I had it no better or worse than anyone else. The main reason I'm looking elsewhere is to find something that lets me work LESS THAN 12 HOURS A WEEK!

They won't even cut me 2 or 3 hours off that. Ridiculous. Company policy sucks right?

I think anyone who manages to travel 10 miles to and from (20 miles total) to College every day, by train, up at stupid hour, home at stupid hour, do Sainsbury's on a Friday night and still manage to get good grades deserves a medal. I don't feel like I can do it... so why take that risk?

Anyway... :yep:

Like I said, a polite reminder, I'm not saying I have it worse than any of you other lucky souls here who have the privilege to be slave to Justin King's empire! I just need a new outlet. :o:

ReputationRep:
    Haha no, sadly you can't congratulate me yet.

I'm considering my options carefully, I've always said I would never leave without a new job elsewhere on the cards secured!

However, enough is enough. I know, take the good with the bad etc, I have a year's work experience and a small stockpile built up. :p:

BUT in the past year I have been...
    - freezing cold
    - forced to work 8 hour shifts with no food or water on a Saturday
    - failed to be given the correct uniform! I asked for a bloody jacket in the beginning. Did I get one? Like hell did I - still keep asking for it. Still failing to get one.
    - got a new boss this week without even knowing it! Although this has nothing to do with it... (they never tell us anything!! even something important like that?!)
    - bored to near-death
    - nearly left twice because of a deputy manager and a department manager!

SO, like most people, I'm just bored of it. I feel like we've been denied our basic rights and suchlike... I had it no better or worse than anyone else. The main reason I'm looking elsewhere is to find something that lets me work LESS THAN 12 HOURS A WEEK!

They won't even cut me 2 or 3 hours off that. Ridiculous. Company policy sucks right?

I think anyone who manages to travel 10 miles to and from (20 miles total) to College every day, by train, up at stupid hour, home at stupid hour, do Sainsbury's on a Friday night and still manage to get good grades deserves a medal. I don't feel like I can do it... so why take that risk?

Anyway... :yep:

Like I said, a polite reminder, I'm not saying I have it worse than any of you other lucky souls here who have the privilege to be slave to Justin King's empire! I just need a new outlet. :o:
    Working in the same store as you, I feel your pain. The trying to get uniforms/badges is a complete joke I know. And as for the not being told anything, I thought that was only our department! Obviously not.
    There is something seriously wrong with the HR department in our store too. I'm not too sure why something isn't done about it.
    It doesn't seem to work.
    Good luck :yep:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    That sounds awful, Lukely! Hope you have better luck elsewhere. I've got all my uniform I think... I have an 'in training' badge still though, that's right isn't it? :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    3 hours to go!

ReputationRep:
    Hehe I work for Sainsburys!! Urggh i have work in like 2 hours though I do get pretty much as much overtime as i like though! What does everybody do? I work checkouts and fresh foods.

ReputationRep:
    Managed to get an Interview :woo:

This time, much concentration will be put it :p: Im not sure weither i want the same DVD or the other one this time tho :o:

Good Luck everyone else who has a interview.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure that's company policy and it's not just your managers ************ you? I know for a fact that there's students at my store who are allowed to work, for example, one 10 hour shift a week and do nothing else.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think this sounds alright to give to my manager?

Spoiler:
    Show

Dear Manager,

I am writing to ask if it is possible to change my contracted hours due to them being incompatible with my new university timetable.

I am still able to work my current shifts on Saturday and Monday but I am unable to work my shift on Thursday which is 17:30-21:30. I am instead able to work Wednesday or Friday evening or all day on Sundays although I have enclosed my timetable if these times are unsuitable. Unfortunately I have just received my timetable although I am due to start classes this week so I would appreciate it if this could be sorted as soon as possible.

Yours sincerely

Me

(Original post by quadruple_twist)
    Are you sure that's company policy and it's not just your managers ************ you? I know for a fact that there's students at my store who are allowed to work, for example, one 10 hour shift a week and do nothing else.
    I can confirm that it is indeed company policy, in that the minimum hours are 12 per week. In the case of your student friends, he's either been on an old contract where it was allowed, or he's been extremely lucky.

(Original post by nikki1810)
    Do you think this sounds alright to give to my manager?

Spoiler:
    Show

Dear Manager,

I am writing to ask if it is possible to change my contracted hours due to them being incompatible with my new university timetable.

I am still able to work my current shifts on Saturday and Monday but I am unable to work my shift on Thursday which is 17:30-21:30. I am instead able to work Wednesday or Friday evening or all day on Sundays although I have enclosed my timetable if these times are unsuitable. Unfortunately I have just received my timetable although I am due to start classes this week so I would appreciate it if this could be sorted as soon as possible.

Yours sincerely

Me
    It sounds fine, but you'll need to bare in mind that you'll perhaps be asked to fill in the formal 'change of hours' request sheet too. So if you want to speed things up, I would get one from the HR office and attach it along with your letter.

xx
    It does sound bad, but like you said, overall it isn't a bad place to work - but when it's bad - it's bad.

I'm glad you've got your head screwed on properly, and are looking for somewhere before you leave Sainsbury's. A couple of lads I used to work with left (for pretty much the same reasons) and are now struggling to find work, so good on you for keeping at it!

Once you do leave, or before you do, you should make an official grievance against Sainsbury's because the issue with inadequate resources (uniform), breaks and workplace is a contravention of their employment contract and policy as well as the law.

It's also worth noting (I only just found out) that every grievance raised is noted (and your whole dialogue) is sent to HQ. As Sainsbury's works with ACAS (or was it BERR?) they submit the numbers of grievances raised and if more people did it, it'll look bad on Sainsbury's and hit them where it hurts!

(Original post by Eddikins)
    Managed to get an Interview :woo:

This time, much concentration will be put it :p: Im not sure weither i want the same DVD or the other one this time tho :o:

Good Luck everyone else who has a interview.
    Eh? :confused:

Unless you've previously applied for a Team Leader/Management position and are now applying for non-Management/Team Leader role (or vice-versa), the interview DVD test is the same.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds fine, but you'll need to bare in mind that you'll perhaps be asked to fill in the formal 'change of hours' request sheet too. So if you want to speed things up, I would get one from the HR office and attach it along with your letter.
    Oh cool I didn't know they existed. It would have been nice if they'd mentioned that to me when I asked about it.

(Original post by nikki1810)
    Oh cool I didn't know they existed. It would have been nice if they'd mentioned that to me when I asked about it.
    Having said that, it does depend on how your store deals with such matters. I know in the store I started in, it was done all by letter. But in the other store I worked in (a lot newer) it was forms for just about everything.

If your store has 'change of holiday' request forms (normally lying about in the canteen) it'll most certainly have the 'change of hours' too.

ReputationRep:
    Having said that, it does depend on how your store deals with such matters. I know in the store I started in, it was done all by letter. But in the other store I worked in (a lot newer) it was forms for just about everything.

If your store has 'change of holiday' request forms (normally lying about in the canteen) it'll most certainly have the 'change of hours' too.
    Well I haven't noticed any forms lying about but I don't go in there much. She did just say to hand in a letter though so I'll try that. I'm not in too much of a rush anyway as I have a shift swap for this week. Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    Eh? :confused:

Unless you've previously applied for a Team Leader/Management position and are now applying for non-Management/Team Leader role (or vice-versa), the interview DVD test is the same.
    When i went for my interview there was a 'Version 1' and a 'Version 2' test.
    What im saying is would i want the one ive previously done or a fresh one :o:

ReputationRep:
    I can confirm that it is indeed company policy, in that the minimum hours are 12 per week. In the case of your student friends, he's either been on an old contract where it was allowed, or he's been extremely lucky.
    Started the same time as me, so must be the latter.

ReputationRep:
    Not long home after my interview Was much more casual that I had prepared for but I think it went quite well. Hope I did okay with the first part of the test when you had to rank the options to what would be best to do first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    Working in the same store as you, I feel your pain. The trying to get uniforms/badges is a complete joke I know. And as for the not being told anything, I thought that was only our department! Obviously not.
    There is something seriously wrong with the HR department in our store too. I'm not too sure why something isn't done about it.
    It doesn't seem to work.
    Good luck :yep:
    I KNOW! They are bloody incompetent! Basically, I got to work on Saturday and it's like "Oh by the way I'm Samantha and I'm your new boss!"

Nothing wrong with her, she gave everyone maltesers?! But it's just nice to know what's going to happen rather than when it's apparently been the case for 3 weeks all of a sudden to find out!! Haha.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.