Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiejaderose)
    yay i got the job so waiting for a week wasnt a bad sign after all!!
    I had my interview a week ago aswell but have still not heard anything, Im thinking of ringing to see.

ReputationRep:
    I had to do the Bank Change on Sunday - god, I hate putting together those things now. Store closed at 5pm, I got out of the store at 8.30 >_<

I spent 9 hours changing all the overhead cardboard things, the leaflets, the shelf ears
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Ouchh! Nastyy, Foulish!!

Congrats sophiejaderose AgentSushi, I think you should ring up and ask. :yep:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Gosh, I'm in such a rut. I'm thinking of just forgetting going to Sheffield uni next year and do open uni instead, whilst staying at Sainsbury's. :| I'm just ahhh. Gonna decide for definite around January time ...

ReputationRep:
    Got the job, induction this weekend, start next week.

(Original post by inksplodge)
    Gosh, I'm in such a rut. I'm thinking of just forgetting going to Sheffield uni next year and do open uni instead, whilst staying at Sainsbury's. :| I'm just ahhh. Gonna decide for definite around January time ...
    You could always just transfer stores if needs be and work part time?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absurd)
    Got the job, induction this weekend, start next week.

You could always just transfer stores if needs be and work part time?
    It's the whole idea of uni right now... just completely undecided. I'm not sure if it's worth it, especially considering I've no idea what I want to do in life. :tongue:

Congratulations on the job !

ReputationRep:
    Awwww I work at Sainsburys in Horsham!! It's crap. Haha. No the people are amazing but stacking yoghurts all day is harsh.....PLUS I'm on a gap year and can't get freaking full-time hours so I'm doing full days Thurs through Saturday..........BRILLIANT.

(Original post by Superfrank)
    Awwww I work at Sainsburys in Horsham!! It's crap. Haha. No the people are amazing but stacking yoghurts all day is harsh.....PLUS I'm on a gap year and can't get freaking full-time hours so I'm doing full days Thurs through Saturday..........BRILLIANT.
    Careful. What you just said there could probably identify who you are at your store.

ReputationRep:
    I kinda envy you guys who are being successful :o:

xxx
    I'd like to echo what FXX said, be careful not to give away too much (about your identity). Sainsbury's are hot on employees posting about work etc on Forums/Facebook/Blogs and it can and will lead to disciplinary action.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, i was stacking yoghurt all day saturday- then had to make the ten cages into four, the annoying thing about yoghurt's is all the plastic trays they come in, and then there wasn't enough room to put them all in the rubbish bag on the cage.

But you would be suprised how much overtime can be got if you just ask everyone- all the managers. I know someone who works in the bakery in Horsham though.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    I'd like to echo what FXX said, be careful not to give away too much (about your identity). Sainsbury's are hot on employees posting about work etc on Forums/Facebook/Blogs and it can and will lead to disciplinary action.
    Even if it's good stuff? :eek:

Even if it's good stuff? :eek:
    Well no, but if you bad mouth the company/colleagues/customers they will give you a disciplinary for gross misconduct.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Well no, but if you bad mouth the company/colleagues/customers they will give you a disciplinary for gross misconduct.
    Oh right. Yeah, I guess so. That makes a lot of sense! Luckily I have nothing but good things to say about my Sainsbury's store :woo: I think I'm the only one of my friends who is happy with their job.

ReputationRep:
    It's the whole idea of uni right now... just completely undecided. I'm not sure if it's worth it, especially considering I've no idea what I want to do in life. :tongue:

Congratulations on the job !
    Ah, I see!

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I keep bookmarking this thread every time there's a new page but it means I'm doing it all the time

Still haven't heard from Sainsbury's about my training :rolleyes:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john_daniel)
    I keep bookmarking this thread every time there's a new page but it means I'm doing it all the time

Still haven't heard from Sainsbury's about my training :rolleyes:
    Subscribe to the thread instead- then it comes up on your home page every time someone posts

ReputationRep:
    I had a better day today

Except I had terrible cramps for 4 hours and I made so much mistakes at the beginning because I felt really exhausted at the beginning. I hate when I make mistakes, feel like I am being judged by my customers when I get something wrong.

I can't pack bags well, I am in fact terrible due to my tremors and lack of experience packing bags, I haven't packed bags properly for about 5 years. Now I am working at Sainsbury's I always am put under pressure to help people pack :\ I sort of refrain from packing peoples bags because I know I'll get confused with the items, put too much/put too little/mix raw meat with cooked meat etc. So I leave the packing to the customers unless it is one or two items.

A customer had a bit of a go at me for not helping her pack her bags "so don't colleagues help their customers?" (she had about 25 items) I just apologised and told her I pack terribly and she went silent.

I understand it is one of the questions to ask "Do you need help with your bags?" but I just find it difficult What should I do? I don't want to let down the customers but I also don't want to poorly pack their bags :\ Help?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XCRUSHESX)
    I had a better day today

Except I had terrible cramps for 4 hours and I made so much mistakes at the beginning because I felt really exhausted at the beginning. I hate when I make mistakes, feel like I am being judged by my customers when I get something wrong.

I can't pack bags well, I am in fact terrible due to my tremors and lack of experience packing bags, I haven't packed bags properly for about 5 years. Now I am working at Sainsbury's I always am put under pressure to help people pack :\ I sort of refrain from packing peoples bags because I know I'll get confused with the items, put too much/put too little/mix raw meat with cooked meat etc. So I leave the packing to the customers unless it is one or two items.

A customer had a bit of a go at me for not helping her pack her bags "so don't colleagues help their customers?" (she had about 25 items) I just apologised and told her I pack terribly and she went silent.

I understand it is one of the questions to ask "Do you need help with your bags?" but I just find it difficult What should I do? I don't want to let down the customers but I also don't want to poorly pack their bags :\ Help?
    Could you not ask your supervisor for help with packing bags? As in, give you a bit of "training" (not sure what else to call it!) I'm sure they won't hesitate to help you out - after all, if you can be confident with packing bags you're helping the customer out and they'll be happy. :yep:

ps. I hate making mistakes too I broke a jar on my second shift and I felt sooo bad about it, and kept dropping everything else! Terrible feeling.

ReputationRep:
    Could you not ask your supervisor for help with packing bags? As in, give you a bit of "training" (not sure what else to call it!) I'm sure they won't hesitate to help you out - after all, if you can be confident with packing bags you're helping the customer out and they'll be happy. :yep:

ps. I hate making mistakes too I broke a jar on my second shift and I felt sooo bad about it, and kept dropping everything else! Terrible feeling.
    Hmmm I might try that but I rarely get a time where I can approach the supervisors since they are always busy (my store if very short staffed).

Hmm don't worry with dropping stuff, you will get used to the handling of products! For me however only 1-2 people per day out of about 60 customers require or ask for help, they all seem happy packing their own bags so I rarely get this 'practice'.

I mean I got down about being given negative feedback from the customer for not helping her pack but I also got a bit pissed off thinking "if she wanted help she should've asked like many customers have before" but I don't know I still feel like I am mostly in the wrong for not asking her if she wanted help but I don't want to be a total slave to customers in a way that they cannot just ask me for help when they need it.

(Original post by Wildebeest)
    With regard to the bag packing situation (that erroneously sounds like we are making a fuss about nothing, I know), you quickly begin to acquire the skill of knowing when and how to help. I pack for all of my customers by default, but a number of them will take over when they have finished unloading all of their items on to the belt. If the customer is packing and getting a bit uneasy as they try to find their wallet and so on in front of the queue, I will also finish the job for them. Offering to help with packing isn't part of the Mystery Customer Measure (although it does give a polite impression), however I only explicitly offer to do so if the customer has brought their own bags with them and hasn't handed them to me.

I definitely know the feeling of 'being judged' by customers and for all that is enjoyable in my job, it does serve as a reminder to me of how shy I am. :o:
    Mmmm I might try that, just pack people's bags in hope of bettering the skill.
    One question! If items that have been scanned are piling up should you pack on your area where you would scan the items? because it is not a lot of space to pack big items in my store. And if you have finished packing items in a bag but there is no space to place her bag and you cannot hand her the bag as she is still busy packing do you just wait for her to finish or do you try and pack more items?

All this bother is probably another reason why I'd rather leave the packing to the customers :\

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.