Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by setmefree)
    Are all stores having a dress down day tomorrow or is it just ours?
    Eh? :eek:

Can I ask what a 'dress down' is? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    Eh? :eek:

Can I ask what a 'dress down' is? :confused:
    I presume wearing your own clothes :p:

ReputationRep:
    I cant say ive heard anything about it.

And whoop, pays in, actully a bit more then i was expecting which was nice.

ReputationRep:
    Officially pay day However I am not going to find out how much I have been paid 'til 3am onwards!

ReputationRep:
    Got my contract in the post today :p: Yay!

Induction on Saturday and Sunday. Kinda nervous, but excited too.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't go to the induction days at the store I'll be working at because of university so I'm going to another store this weekend. I'm having to take buses, trains and taxis to get there It's so far away!

It's worth it though Just hope it goes ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john_daniel)
    I couldn't go to the induction days at the store I'll be working at because of university so I'm going to another store this weekend. I'm having to take buses, trains and taxis to get there It's so far away!

Are the store okay with that? Sucks that it's so far away! We have our induction the same days :p: Are yours 8-6 too?

ReputationRep:

I had to do that with my first Sainsbury's job.

My store was in west london but I had to go to a south london store for my induction. The travelling was a bit much but that goodness for London Underground!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AwesomelyPsycho)
    Got my contract in the post today :p: Yay!

Induction on Saturday and Sunday. Kinda nervous, but excited too.
    Me too, but mine is 9 to 5.

ReputationRep:
    I was an hour late for my induction because of it being in a different town id never ever been too.

But it turned out to be ok, because some people got told to go for 9am, and some got told at 10pm, i got told 9, but they ended up delaying it, worked out well

ReputationRep:
    Yayyy got paid the correct amount and they paid me for the hours they left out last month

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Untitled258)
    And whoop, pays in, actully a bit more then i was expecting which was nice.
    Same!! Its a nice surprise lol, shame I've got lots of expenses this month
    More than enough to cover it though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    If I were an employer, I think I would be the complete opposite (agreeing with Painsbury's). As much as I would value my employees opinions on internal matters, I wouldn't be too happy with it being posted on somewhere as open as TSR. Yes, the opinions may be personal, but when it's concerning the brand, it can have a detrimental effect.

It wasn't too long ago that Primark was over the news because its employees were calling customers chavs or something and that was on Facebook; somewhat more private than TSR. :eek:
    Well, I knew my opinion would be controversial! I'm not by any means disputing what you or FXX say - would be bad of me to do that!

I agree, if you're going to post stuff, make sure it's as much of a TSR only alias as possible you use, and I wouldn't post it on Facebook...

But really, I guess, my arguement comes down to where DO you draw the line??

I think there's all this stuff about bosses having their colleagues on Facebook... and then the colleague posts something, the boss sees it 'cos that's what happens and then things go wrong!

People have to be careful not to add bosses etc...?

I wouldn't care as I say, because "brand damaging" behaviour... well customers do it themselves all the time! I know what you mean, colleagues shouldn't do it, but we do, often, without realising it don't we?

If someone says to you outside of work... "bet you hate working there as much as I hate shopping don't you?" of course a LOT of colleagues wouldn't hesitate to say yes!

See what I mean?

IN THE WORKPLACE... ABSOLUTELY NO! Don't knock your job, don't behave in a brand-damaging way...

Outside of work I maintain that "free speech" belief... if you don't like it, I think you should be allowed to say so... and how you want.

I believe if you went on a reviews site like pissed consumer and read reviews of supermarkets, they'll be mixed, and so on and so forth and are still potentially brand damaging.

ReputationRep:
    I spoke to HR last night and they said the store should contact me. Induction hours are Saturday 12-8 and Sunday 9-6 but the first train from my town on Sunday leaves at 10.14 I'm looking into buses. Hopefully the store don't mind me being a little late on the Sunday. HR said that Saturday is the important day

ReputationRep:
    I spoke to HR last night and they said the store should contact me. Induction hours are Saturday 12-8 and Sunday 9-6 but the first train from my town on Sunday leaves at 10.14 I'm looking into buses. Hopefully the store don't mind me being a little late on the Sunday. HR said that Saturday is the important day
    (Original post by Absurd)
    Me too, but mine is 9 to 5.
    :eek: Why is my induction longer than both of yours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AwesomelyPsycho)
    :eek: Why is my induction longer than both of yours?
    No idea, but you'll get more money for it!

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted to big up Sainsburys, The driver rang today to say he would be late delivering my shopping by 20 minutes, I said no problem I'm going nowhere today. When he dropped my shopping off he also gave me a £10 off vouchers for my next online shop, by way of saying sorry!!!
    Bless him, I noticed there was a 6 pack of water missing after he had gone, so I rang online dept & one of the lads dropped it over to me syraight away.
    Marvelous service ey! D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawberry_princess)
    hi all, i really want to leave my job (on checkouts), I just find it so boring and it is getting in the way of my uni applications etc as they dont let me have time off for uni open days or work experience. Does anyone know if I HAVE to give 4 weeks notice, or if I can leave sooner than that???

I don't want to ask my manager cos I don't want him to know until I am completely sure! Thanks.

I think it would depend on the store.
    when i left first time around i gave them 4 weeks notice however they would have been fine with just 2.

I don't mean to sound harsh in any way, but that is what holidays are there for.

ReputationRep:
    hi all, i really want to leave my job (on checkouts), I just find it so boring and it is getting in the way of my uni applications etc as they dont let me have time off for uni open days or work experience. Does anyone know if I HAVE to give 4 weeks notice, or if I can leave sooner than that???

I don't want to ask my manager cos I don't want him to know until I am completely sure! Thanks.
    When I left my first Sainsburys job I told them in my letter I wanted it to me "effective immediately [insert date]" and they were okay with it. At my new job one woman just called in and said I do not want to work at Sainsbury's and didn't come in lol.

ReputationRep:
    Oh really?? Thats well good, hope mine are like that! What do you think I should write in my letter then? Could I do like a week or something.
    Yeah sure you can choose what day you would want to leave but I would warn you that they might try and persuade you to change your mind.

In your letter that I'd advise you to give to HR (I didn't really want to face my dept manager because I was going to feel way guilty lol)

"Dear Sainsburys [Insert Branch]

I have made the decision to leave my job current job as [Insert Job] due to reasons regarding [insert a reason]

I would like to this be effective immediately from the [Insert Date].

I apologise for any inconveniece this has caused and thank you for giving me the opportunity to work with your company.

Yours Faithfully,

[Insert Signature]

[Insert Printed Name]"

Something like that.

Don't forget to bring your name tag, uniform, locker key and Sainsbury's staff discount card when you hand in the notice to your department/line manager OR HR.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.