Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi i'm going to De Montfort uni in september and I was wondering what societies there are I tried looking online but there only seems to be infomation on the religious ones.

ReputationRep:
    There are lots. The biggest by far is DMU Media, which runs the Demon Newspaper, Demon FM and Demon TV. Then you have all your sports - hockey, football, martial arts etc etc, and then your more abstract ones like the Cocktail Society.

They all have stands over 2 or 3 days during Freshers Week in the Union, last year it took place in Level 1 (which is being renamed), which is also where the comercial fair takes place which I would reccomend as you gets lots of freebies, like free pizza

Go along to the Society Fair in Freshers and see what takes your fancy and sign up. Some, like Demon Media do have a membership fee though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelly08)
    There are lots. The biggest by far is DMU Media, which runs the Demon Newspaper, Demon FM and Demon TV. Then you have all your sports - hockey, football, martial arts etc etc, and then your more abstract ones like the Cocktail Society.

They all have stands over 2 or 3 days during Freshers Week in the Union, last year it took place in Level 1 (which is being renamed), which is also where the comercial fair takes place which I would reccomend as you gets lots of freebies, like free pizza

Go along to the Society Fair in Freshers and see what takes your fancy and sign up. Some, like Demon Media do have a membership fee though.
    Thanks a lot. I'm loving the sound of the cocktail society! lol I can see myself signing up to that one. I like the sound of DMU media too but is it mainly for media students?

ReputationRep:
    Noo anyone can join DMU Media, and you can pretty much do what you like in it - write stories, review films, host radios shows!

And yeah I went to of the Cocktail Society Socials and they were lots of fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelly08)
    Noo anyone can join DMU Media, and you can pretty much do what you like in it - write stories, review films, host radios shows!

And yeah I went to of the Cocktail Society Socials and they were lots of fun
    Wicked I can't wait to get there now!

ReputationRep:
    The biggest is

'I wish i had studied so i could have gone to a good uni!'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harribot)
    The biggest is

'I wish i had studied so i could have gone to a good uni!'

No disrespect to DMU but I kinda agree with this.. I do wish that I studied a lot harder and achieved higher marks to avoid having to go to an ex-poly and just headed straight for a top uni such as the one which I'm currently at now.. even though I met so many good friends especially some absolute pissheads which I do kinda miss especially here in Nottingham.

But thinking back to the 3 years spent at De Montfort I don't regret studying there and the things that they've taught me has indeed gone towards helping me in achieving A's and B's here in Nottingham and its something which I thank them for... especially when there are some individuals on here who say that students achieving C's and D's at A-Levels are destined to graduate with a 2:2 or a 3rd!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcEmAn911)
    [IMG]

No disrespect to DMU but I kinda agree with this.. I do wish that I studied a lot harder and achieved higher marks to avoid having to go to an ex-poly and just headed straight for a top uni such as the one which I'm currently at now.. even though I met so many good friends especially some absolute pissheads which I do kinda miss especially here in Nottingham.

But thinking back to the 3 years spent at De Montfort I don't regret studying there and the things that they've taught me has indeed gone towards helping me in achieving A's and B's here in Nottingham and its something which I thank them for... especially when there are some individuals on here who say that students achieving C's and D's at A-Levels are destined to graduate with a 2:2 or a 3rd!
    Well i'm going to DMU and i'm predicted AAB at A level, because not many places do my course and the 'better' universities had worse facilities. So not everyone who goes there goes because they did'nt try at A level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel_superstar)
    Well i'm going to DMU and i'm predicted AAB at A level, because not many places do my course and the 'better' universities had worse facilities. So not everyone who goes there goes because they did'nt try at A level.
    Sorry but I'm speaking from my personal situation and didn't mean to disrespect any other DMU students especially when the university performs much better than others in certain courses.

I know because I have friends who did Media Production and it was such a unique course that it offered things which no other university offers.

Also: http://www.demontfortstudents.com/mi...php?cat_id=225
    Is the link for a list of societies at DMU.

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to find some context to use the phrase "DMUsed to it", but I'm struggling.
    "You better get DMUsed to the societies" is a very ****** example that could surely be improved upon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    I'm trying to find some context to use the phrase "DMUsed to it", but I'm struggling.
    "You better get DMUsed to the societies" is a very ****** example that could surely be improved upon
    Thanks, I enjoyed my time in the Badminton society and can very well say that I'm DMUsed to it but am now NUsed to the Badminton society here at the University of Nottingham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcEmAn911)
    Thanks, I enjoyed my time in the Badminton society and can very well say that I'm DMUsed to it but am now NUsed to the Badminton society here at the University of Nottingham
    Would UNused not be better?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.