Turn on thread page Beta

How often do you see/talk to you parents? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Just wondering how often people talked to their parents in the first year of their degrees? I know how often you can see them depends on how far away you're living; I'm going to uni on the otherside of the country so it won't be that often I imagine... It's just that I think my mum expects me to ring her like everyday or something and I can't imagine that's normal...

Any advice on telling her that I'm going to uni to live my own life? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    when you neeed money

ReputationRep:
    If I meet my offer I should be going to Newcastle come September, I'm from the South of England. My family have said to me that chatting on Skype once a week would be nice :p:

ReputationRep:
    Occasional phone call/text maybe once every 2 weeks or so. Probably less this year coming.

ReputationRep:
    Normally a text every one or two days. Phone call about every week I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Every day at the moment while I'm still living there.

ReputationRep:
    Erm I used to talk to my dad a lot over the internet, probably every day or two. I'd ring home maybe once every 2 weeks ish

I visited only during the holidays so 3/4 times a year

ReputationRep:
    once every week when I go to uni, cutting down to once a month probably.

ReputationRep:
    I only talk to my dad when I need money. He doesn't talk to us anyway
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Normally I spoke to my parents for a half hour or so at some point over the weekend, and to my dad once or twice in the week for 10-15 mins when I was at uni. It kept them happy, it was nice to get news from home, and it killed some time if I was bored!

ReputationRep:
    I phoned my mum fairly regularly, once a fortnight or so. My parents are divorced, and she lives far away anyway, so it wasn't like I'd see her when I went home. My dad on the other hand I never called, he called me, mainly because he's not really a family man and I'd see him in the holidays anyway.

ReputationRep:
    My parents work in Asia so I don't see them very often. Once or twice a year. I'm used to it tho . . .been like this since I was five. First my dad and when I was older both parents work abroad . . .that's life I guess. Built up my independence but sadly the same can't go for my cooking skills lol! *cries*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olivermc)
    Hey

Just wondering how often people talked to their parents in the first year of their degrees? I know how often you can see them depends on how far away you're living; I'm going to uni on the otherside of the country so it won't be that often I imagine... It's just that I think my mum expects me to ring her like everyday or something and I can't imagine that's normal...

Any advice on telling her that I'm going to uni to live my own life? :rolleyes:
    Don't forget that your mother is probably as excited as you are, it's completely normal that she wants to hear of you every day.
    This won't last forever.

Besides, have you talked to her about you feeling uncomfortable about that?

ReputationRep:
    sum of u are so lucky!!!...my mum calls me every day!!!!..its so annoying theres some times i don't even pick up the fone but she still keeps calling, the couple of times she forgets to call, the next time she calls me she goes 'o i see how you can't even be bothered to call me' wtf!! i think its 'cos it was my first year i doubt it will be the same for my 2nd year she would have gotten use to me being away from home! [hopefully]
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I'm supposed to phone home once a week but I always forget I go home about once every 2-3, coz I have to go back to London for my piano lesson anyway

ReputationRep:
    I see my parents about twice a year. Phonecall about once a week.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'll speak to them everyday... currently live away from them but have them phone me every morning as an alarm.

ReputationRep:
    I speak to my mum about once a week at Uni on average, very rarely speak to my stepdad unless he answers the phone when my mum isn't around.
    As for my real dad, very very rarely - maybe once every two or three months, briefly.

ReputationRep:
    Mam rang atleast once a week saw them once a month in the 1st term, then every weekend after that as i went home to train for my black belt grading

ReputationRep:
    Phone them once a week. Occasionally swap emails if I've had some post trhough or something. I usually see them at holidays and perhaps once during the term -if I come home to see my boyfriend, I'll stop one night at home as well a lot of the time, and they come down for the day nearish my birthday...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.