Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Why does a child need to know how to breast feed?

ReputationRep:
    It's not wrong or unnatural or whatever, it's just plain WEIRD.

ReputationRep:
    This 'natural' talk is irrelevant.

Urinating is natural, but would a toy penis that squirts out a yellow liquid be an acceptable toy for young boys?

Of course not. And nor should a breastfeeding toy. Young girls need to learn that it's something that should be done in private where none of us men have to see/not know where to look. And besides, breastfeeding is not something that should be encouraged at all in a modern society.

ReputationRep:
    What the Jesus? The Spanish have obviously lost their mind lately... That's just...well...it tops everything else I've read/seen from Spain in the last week.

ReputationRep:
    Admittedly, it looks a little odd, but I don't see what's wrong with it. People are happy to give children toy guns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    This 'natural' talk is irrelevant.

Urinating is natural, but would a toy penis that squirts out a yellow liquid be an acceptable toy for young boys?

Of course not. And nor should a breastfeeding toy. Young girls need to learn that it's something that should be done in private where none of us men have to see/not know where to look. And besides, breastfeeding is not something that should be encouraged at all in a modern society.
    Eh? Breast milk is the healthiest thing you can give a child, it is especially tailored for the baby. People have breastfed since the dawn of time and it's something that definitely SHOULD be encouraged, it's been proven that bottle fed babies do not thrive quite as well. You should get over thinking that it's "disgusting", a breastfeeding mother is not going to be bothered where a man is looking, and besides it's not like they get their tits out for all to see exactly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nynyflower)
    Eh? Breast milk is the healthiest thing you can give a child, it is especially tailored for the baby. People have breastfed since the dawn of time and it's something that definitely SHOULD be encouraged, it's been proven that bottle fed babies do not thrive quite as well. You should get over thinking that it's "disgusting", a breastfeeding mother is not going to be bothered where a man is looking, and besides it's not like they get their tits out for all to see exactly!
    If breast milk is so healthy, why don't they sell it in the shops?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nynyflower)
    Agreed - excellent post.

I pity people who are disgusted by breastfeeding. I bet they don't think anything about women who dress so their tits are practically hanging out of their tops, or seeing topless models in newspapers, but lo and behold a woman actually use her breasts for what their REAL PURPOSE is.

ReputationRep:
    If breast milk is so healthy, why don't they sell it in the shops?
    :facepalm: Because it's not something that can be mass produced! A mother's milk comes through in pregnancy, and is tailored for HER baby, and is produced on the demand of HER baby.

ReputationRep:
    If it's not sexual, can I suck on your nipples please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pocketfulofposy)
    Agreed - excellent post.

I pity people who are disgusted by breastfeeding. I bet they don't think anything about women who dress so their tits are practically hanging out of their tops, or seeing topless models in newspapers, but lo and behold a woman actually use her breasts for what their REAL PURPOSE is.
    Feminists may not like it, but the real and biological purpose of your breasts is to attract men.

Breasts are a product of sexual selection, much like a large and good looking penis is.

ReputationRep:
    Feminists may not like it, but the real and biological purpose of your breasts is to attract men.

Breasts are a product of sexual selection, much like a large and good lookin penis is.
    The primary function of female mammaries (i.e. breasts) is to produce milk for their young and this is the case for any mammal (of which we as humans are). That is why they contain mammary glands to produce the milk.

Yes they serve a sexual purpose too, but the most important function of female breasts, is the production of milk.

If it wasn't, they wouldn't be able to do it would they?!

ReputationRep:

Breasts are a product of sexual selection, much like a large and good looking penis is.
    Do you get turned on by badger nipples? Or cows teats? They seem to be going pretty strong despite not actual breasts. Breasts are for nurture, the fact men find them attractive is just a side point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pocketfulofposy)
    The primary function of female mammaries (i.e. breasts) is to produce milk for their young and this is the case for any mammal (of which we as humans are). That is why they contain mammary glands to produce the milk.

Yes they serve a sexual purpose too, but the most important function of female breasts, is the production of milk.

If it wasn't, they wouldn't be able to do it would they?!
    Yes.

The mammary gland may very well have developed to provide milk, but all that lovely soft tissue around it did not. Breasts are very much sexual objects. If they weren't, women wouldn't mind men gawping at them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Am I the only girl here that actually used to do this? My mum has pictures of me "breast feeding" a doll when I was about 5.

I'm not a girly girl either so I'm really surprised that no one else has admitted this and you're saying it's wrong and unnatural It's perfectly natural I saw my mum breast feeding my little brother, so I copied her, what's more natural than that?
    I meant to reply to you earlier, but got distracted by another post in this thread.

No you're not the only one who did this. I did too.

Children at play often mimic the behaviour of others, and for me, I had copied what I'd seen my aunt doing (I had seen her breastfeeding my cousin). My mom said a few people said she should have stopped me doing it, but my mom just laughed and said, "she's a child, she doesn't really understand what she's copying."

Whilst I'm pro-breastfeeding (and hope I'll be able to BF any children I have in the future), I'm uncomfortable about this doll, as it forces play. To me, child's play should be about imagination and exploration, it shouldn't be forced.

I'm sure there are others out there who 'mimicked' breastfeeding on their dolls, perhaps we're just the only ones willing to admit it!

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

The mammary gland may very well have developed to provide milk, but all that lovely soft tissue around it did not. Breast are very much sexual objects. If they weren't, women wouldn't mind men gawping at them.
    I did say, did I not, that they do also serve a sexual purpose.

However, their most IMPORTANT function is to produce milk for young, not for horny men to gawp over!

ReputationRep:
    That is a little creepy.

ReputationRep:
    Im with the majority of other posters here- its weird.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a problem with a breastfeeding doll or one with more realistic genitalia. Breastfeeding should be encouraged, and I really hate people who complain about a woman breastfeeding her child in public, but not minding seeing a topless model etc.

I don't think showing young kids images of 'perfect' genitalia (or having dolls with none at all) is particularly healthy for when their bodies develop into something quite different. The Ken dolls confused me for ages with their plastic underwear or flattened genitalia. :rolleyes:

Just my two cents.

ReputationRep:
    It would have been worse if she had just whipped out her actual nipples.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.