Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pocketfulofposy)
    I did say, did I not, that they do also serve a sexual purpose.

However, their most IMPORTANT function is to produce milk for young, not for horny men to gawp over!
    I would heavily disagree. 2000 years ago maybe, but certainly not anymore. A woman who could not produce milk would be perfectly fine, and so would her baby. She could simply purchase bottled milk from a shop. A woman without any breast tissue may struggle to find a partner (not all, but they would stand less of a chance than a woman with larger breasts), hence not being able to produce offspring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atrixa)
    I don't have a problem with a breastfeeding doll or one with more realistic genitalia. Breastfeeding should be encouraged, and I really hate people who complain about a woman breastfeeding her child in public, but not minding seeing a topless model etc.

I don't think showing young kids images of 'perfect' genitalia (or having dolls with none at all) is particularly healthy for when their bodies develop into something quite different. The Ken dolls confused me for ages with their plastic underwear or flattened genitalia. :rolleyes:

Just my two cents.
    Don't you do the same, but in reverse?

I assume you are okay with a woman getting her breasts out in public to feed her child, but you are not okay with a woman getting her breasts out in public for men to look at?

I may be wrong, but I imagine that is the case.

ReputationRep:
    I am bored of feeding the troll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nynyflower)
    I am bored of feeding the troll.
    He he. There is a joke in there somewhere.

And I assure you I am no troll.

ReputationRep:
    anyone else feel really weird watching that 7-year-old strap on her fake breasts..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)

I assume you are okay with a woman getting her breasts out in public to feed her child, but you are not okay with a woman getting her breasts out in public for men to look at?

Breastfeeding mothers don't "get their breasts out" in that way though do they? They don't sit there letting it all hang out for the world to see. More often than not they just want to feed their HUNGRY CHILD as discretely as possible. They're not putting on a show for people like you!

And no, before you say it, they shouldn't have to go into a public toilet to feed their baby. You wouldn't want to eat your food in a toilet cubicle, so a baby shouldn't have to either.

ReputationRep:
    Theres nothing wrong with a kid pretending to breastfeed a doll, if thats what shes exposed to and thats what she wants to copy...but I agree with other posters...the point of the doll is to breast feed, so it kind of forces that into a kids head. What if a kid plays with the doll till they're ten or eleven years old, gets to be 20, has a child, and can't breast feed?

I don't think that anyone is saying breastfeedings wrong, I think they're saying that strapping fake nipples on a seven year old is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    There are dolls where the child can pretend to wipe poo, wee and feed the doll with a bottle or magic spoon, teach the doll to walk, teaching it to clap, teach it to say their first word, sing/rock it until it goes to sleep and take it out in a pushchair or carry-case thingy. So why not breastfeeding? They don't exactly look like real breasts with real nipples!
    Just a quick question, but how do kids know what breasts are for if they don't have younger siblings? Maybe hiding breastfeeding as much as possible the way we do means you end up with people like Teveth! :rolleyes:

As long as they don't make a pretend childbirth doll (with fake placenta and pretend scissors to cut the cord!) I think it's fine.

ReputationRep:
    How ridiculous to get worked up other that toy, most little girls I know pretend to breast feed their dollies anyway. Not as fancy as that toy, usually just stick baby up the t-shirt wit the legs dangling underneath.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessJasmine)
    How ridiculous to get worked up other that toy, most little girls I know pretend to breast feed their dollies anyway. Not as fancy as that toy, usually just stick baby up the t-shirt wit the legs dangling underneath.

Really? I never pretended to breast feed anything when I was little.

I find it incredibly odd as to why anybody would buy this thing for a child?

If letting a 7 years girl learn how to 'breast feed' then it is perfectly normal to teach that 7 year old girl about sex and childbirth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pocketfulofposy)
    :facepalm: Because it's not something that can be mass produced! A mother's milk comes through in pregnancy, and is tailored for HER baby, and is produced on the demand of HER baby.
    Not to throw a spanner into a good post but breast milk production can be stimulated outside of pregnancy.

Plus the whole wet nurses were/are still used throughout the world in vary degrees and there kinda like biological factories.

It's just some random tidbit of info I had stored for some reason.
    Probs best that I be ignored for the most part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allthewayhome)
    Not to throw a spanner into a good post but breast milk production can be stimulated outside of pregnancy.

Plus the whole wet nurses were/are still used throughout the world in vary degrees and there kinda like biological factories.

It's just some random tidbit of info I had stored for some reason.
    Probs best that I be ignored for the most part.
    I had always assumed there was some way milk could be stimulated, so it's interesting to know it can be done, but I'm sure it's probably only something that's done on essential occasions.

But to sell it in stores, like Teveth was saying, a tad unlikely really isn't it?! To get enough to be able to sell it in shops, I dread to think what that would require, women lined up like milking cows perhaps?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)

No, breastfeeding women tend to be very discreet, maybe putting a towel or something over the area or only showing the necessary part, like this: http://publicola.horsesass.org/files/breastfeed1.gif

They wouldn't just whip 'em out for all to see.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.