Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by burninginme)
    Despite what the anti-smoking gestapo may say, amongst many people if you are under a certain age (most likely 30 and below), smoking does make you look cooler, gives you more credibility, and makes you look more streetwise amongst other things.

It also enhances the perception of ones character. I believe this is because as smoking can be a very social thing, smokers are generally perceived to be quite socialable people, and thus have good character.

The anti-smokers may say that smoking is dying out, and is becoming perceived as antiquated, childish and anti-social behaviour, but I'm a afraid in many social circles and areas of society the opposite is true.

Ok, I wouldn't say smoking enhances the character and appearance of an 18 year old chav mum, but I would say that it definitely enhances the character of most "normal" people, as it were.

Discuss.
    What about those of us that do sports?

ReputationRep:
    Smoking is disgusting I think, have you ever seen the lungs of someone who smokes? UGH that's all I got to say really..

you might say that smokers are more sociable (which is a ofcourse a bit of a generalisation, not all smokers are per definition social). However, a few smokers together might create a band more easily as they have something in common. Same as you are more likely to have a good convo with someone that has the same interests.

so I do agree that smokers together might be more social towards each other but that smoking is good for your character is nonsense ofcourse.

ReputationRep:
    Smoking menthols certainly tastes cool. It's a bit like smoking a polo mint.
    I don't think it makes you look cool, though.

I enjoy the odd cigar / menthol / pipe smoke, but it's not something I indulge in frequently. Neither does it make me particularly sociable.
    I'd much rather sit outside on my own with a glass of scotch and a cigar and watch the world go by.

ReputationRep:
    OP needs to get more creative with the trolling.

Seriously I am sure this topic has been done to death.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cabbaman98)
    I believe smoking can mean people are much more sociable. Say at a party etc if you're inside you can't talk or actually have a conversation with someone becuase of the loud music. But outside having a fag you're forced to talk to people and can force people to learn to be good to talk to as they have to make conversation.
    A large majority of the smokers I know are really interesting or at least good conversationalists, and this is nothing but a good thing. I'm not condoning smoking, just saying this is a true benefit as I know it is true from expiriencing it myself.
    Yeah, but you don't _have_ to smoke to go outside a club and chat to the people.

ReputationRep:
    The OP sounds like somebody too posh to talk about cool. Like if Jeremy Paxman interviewed Dizzee Rascal:

"So, Mr Rascal, what influenced your new album?"

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, you haven't convinced me.

ReputationRep:
    Smokers are jokers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Hayko)
    Yeah, but you don't _have_ to smoke to go outside a club and chat to the people.
    I agree but the whole forcing you to go outside to smoke thing is what forces you to become more outgoing. For someone with no confidence or conversation skills, it's unlikely they'll ever bother to do this. But if they smoked they are much more likely to be outside smoking, and therefore being sociable.
    It's for this reason that on average smokers are generally more easy to talk to/ sociable people.

ReputationRep:
    smoking can be cool, but you have to be able to pull it off, chavs can't, it can enhance your personality and show how sophisticated you are, but it must be done tactfully, cigars are extremely sophisticated-they should be smoked more

ReputationRep:
    if you're fat, or a chav, smoking makes you look worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-E-N-O-V-A)
    Smokers are jokers.

Quite.

ReputationRep:
    If killing all of your friends with passive smoking is considered sociable, then, yeah, sure, I will consider smokers sociable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colonel Brusnahan)
    The OP sounds like somebody too posh to talk about cool. Like if Jeremy Paxman interviewed Dizzee Rascal:

"So, Mr Rascal, what influenced your new album?"
    lolwut like this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cabbaman98)
    I agree but the whole forcing you to go outside to smoke thing is what forces you to become more outgoing. For someone with no confidence or conversation skills, it's unlikely they'll ever bother to do this. But if they smoked they are much more likely to be outside smoking, and therefore being sociable.
    It's for this reason that on average smokers are generally more easy to talk to/ sociable people.
    Thing is, that's the kind of mentality I don't like where someone uses a crutch to fix their problems, especially if it is addictive (to most people).

ReputationRep:
    If a night out as crap, I join my friends in the smoking area. It makes it more interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Hayko)
    Thing is, that's the kind of mentality I don't like where someone uses a crutch to fix their problems, especially if it is addictive (to most people).
    I'm not saying it's a good thing, I'm not saying to make friends you should start smoking. I am just stating the simple fact, smokers are on average more sociable and much better conversationalists, for the reasons I have previously stated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    lolwut like this?

EXACTLY THIS!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph90)
    If a night out as crap, I join my friends in the smoking area. It makes it more interesting.

as per this, I think it just makes the smokers really cliquey especially since the smoking ban.. I mean who else really wants to go outside where it's just a huge gang of smokers?

Easy to meet new people though from what I've seen.. both from the above mentioned and just asking somebody if they have a lighter or whatever..

BUT MEH.

ReputationRep:
    I've never thought smoking was cool, in fact the people who did smoke at school were mostly the chavvy ones so I always associate it with that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.