ReputationRep:
    smoking is stupid and not cool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burninginme)
    The anti-smokers may say that smoking is dying out
    Heh.

Seriously though, smoking is sexy.

ReputationRep:
    had one early this morning/late last night. grr.

You know what is cool? Cerebral Malsy :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I can see how it looks cool, can look sexy (not long-term) as it makes you seem quite 'care-free' but healthy-wise, it's not at all cool, and husky voices are not sexy when you're an 18 year old girl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amii_G)
    lol, don't worry, I'm not stupid enough to get addicted to nicotine.
    Probability of addiction is not dependent on levels of intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shiny Dirt)
    but healthy-wise, it's not at all cool
    You're right, risks are never cool. You know what's cool? Chartered accountants.

And fixed-rate mortgages. And vegetables. And Christianity.

ReputationRep:
    Its a good way to start talking to someone I guess, asking them to borrow a lighter etc. I only smoke socially, and dont care if people dont smoke, but people who are completely against it and are like "no ive never tried it and I never will" its like grow up, smoking one cig will do **** all to you. And those people are usually losers, based from my experience, so dont flame me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haeron)
    I don't understand how anyone can put up with the smell. It's disgusting, at least to me :thumbsdown:
    Me too:p: I feel like punching them in the face when they come up next to me smoking:mad:

ReputationRep:
    yup its so cool specially the cancer part thats the coolest!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Cookie)
    Those who smoke to enhance their social persona must have absolutely nothing else to offer. I do hope most people have real personal qualities and don't need some cheap image to make themselves credible and respectable.
    ^ This. Smoking is retarded.

ReputationRep:
    Smoking is definitely cool. Nobody would start smoking if they didn't think it would make them look fashionable; everyone knows the risks of smoking but the reason they ignore this is because to young teenagers fitting in and looking cool is more important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeester)
    Forgive me if others have said this already (I havn't read all posts). Originally when I saw your reply, I though, "Gosh, that's a good come back" then I thought about it for 2 seconds and realised... actually it wasn't.

Think about it this way, does wearing something other than sackcloth damage your health? Unless you're a complete wierdo... no. On the other hand... does smoking damage your health? Yes, yes it does.
    Well that's irrelevant to the point made about social projection. Moreover, health issues rather than social ones are entirely the individual's business.

And to conclude, Only a dumbass smokes to increase their persona to others and it shows they have no other options because it damages their health wereas wearing clothing other than sackcloth can increase ones personal persona without damaging their health meaning that it is not a last resort and is a better way to increase it than smoking.
    Plenty of people don't value their health to that extent; in fact I'd say the majority are willing to sacrifice long-term health for rather more immediate benefit. I certainly don't concern myself with such matters at this stage in my life. I would put countless things before worrying about risking my future health or shortening my life.

(Original post by _Hayko)
    Thing is, that's the kind of mentality I don't like where someone uses a crutch to fix their problems, especially if it is addictive (to most people).
    What person, if appropriately injured, would not use a crutch? It seems to me that your metaphor is a bit, well, counterproductive to your argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burninginme)
    The anti-smokers may say that smokers are dying out, and is becoming perceived as antiquated, childish and anti-social behaviour, but I'm a afraid in many social circles and areas of society the opposite is true.
    Fixed that for you.
    Also, I'd say the cool people were the ones inside the pub, enjoying a nice glass of beer with friends, rather than standing outside in the drizzle and cold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chidona)
    Fixed that for you.
    Also, I'd say the cool people were the ones inside the pub, enjoying a nice glass of beer with friends, rather than standing outside in the drizzle and cold.
    Apparently its more a sociable environment outside, more oppertunties to initiate friendship and what not. I must try it sometime...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skies)
    Apparently its more a sociable environment outside, more oppertunties to initiate friendship and what not. I must try it sometime...:rolleyes:
    Whatever, I don't need to hurt myself to make friends.

ReputationRep:
    i smoke, have been for ten years. When i started i thought it was cool and did think so when i use to hang around on the streets too. now i dont think it is and really want to quit its to hard tho i always give in. most i ever gone is 4 months. when a girl goes clubbing and really needs a fag so goes out side for one when its raining ends up with massive curly hair and make up runing down her face is that cool? personally i would rather look good than cool. being well presented and pretty will get you alot further in life may even get you a good job. all smoking will get you is yellow teeth, old looking skin, cancer and other healthy problems. if you look awful or have health problems its harder to find work and you may end up on the dole for ages just because you wanted to look cool. I really wish i could quit, SMOKING IS NOT COOL!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chidona)
    Whatever, I don't need to hurt myself to make friends.
    I agree, my post was meant to be sarcastic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elucidation)
    as per this, I think it just makes the smokers really cliquey especially since the smoking ban.. I mean who else really wants to go outside where it's just a huge gang of smokers?
    With you on this one. At house parties, the people who smoke always end up outside, and stay outside for the whole night because they get talking to someone else who smokes. Which is nice for them, but if I go out to join them, I feel somewhat out of place

(Original post by elucidation)
    Easy to meet new people though from what I've seen.. both from the above mentioned and just asking somebody if they have a lighter or whatever...
    I've actually been tempted to start carrying a lighter around with me for this reason!

ReputationRep:
    I loved smoking really. Loved it to bits. But I never smoked because of how it looked, or to look cool.
    Quit now though, probably for the better. I'll still have the odd one mind, just as a treat every now and then.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.