Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i dont smoke and would hate if a girlfriend did because it ******* stinks. but smoking looks cool as

ReputationRep:
    i think you'd have to be pretty immature to think someone's ''cool'' cos they've got a fag in thier hand..!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *TheSweetestDrug*)
    i think you'd have to be pretty immature to think someone's ''cool'' cos they've got a fag in thier hand..!
    its nothing to do with maturity, its to do with image

some people like a certain image or are attracted to said image. thats all. its not immature for a girl to find guys with red cowboy boots cool. just personal preference

ReputationRep:
    Wearing sunglasses is cool too, but it has the advantage of not giving you cancer.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... I lost an aunt once to lung cancer. She was a smoker. But, at the same time, I've dated a smoker, and to be completely honest (and whether or not it was a "good" thing for me to think this way), that had a bit of a role in his attractiveness to me. SO, I think it's up to how you're going to perceive it: as a life-threatening habit, or as a thing that some people do and have every right to do.

I, personally, know that both viewpoints are not only valid, but fact.

ReputationRep:
    people saying that it kills you and causes lung cancer can **** off, obviously smoking 20 a day is the road to that situation but a person like me who only has the odd fag when hes out with mates is hardly gonna be getting cancer anytime soon

Personally if you have an addictive personality stay clear of the **** youll get hooked in no time. If you dont, then by all means have a few if you want just make sure your in control and not the nicotine

ReputationRep:
    Smoking is a weakness. How can a weakness be cool?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisLincoln)
    At the risk of being negged by Profesh, i think this thread definitely deserves:

Cool Story Bro'
    Damn you beat me.

ReputationRep:
    Holding a cigarette makes people look 10x more attractive than they are without a cigarette. And I love talking to smokers because they're the coolest people - whether that's because they're smoking or if cool people are drawn to cigarettes... It's the reason I started smoking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burninginme)
    Despite what the anti-smoking gestapo may say, amongst many people if you are under a certain age (most likely 30 and below), smoking does make you look cooler, gives you more credibility, and makes you look more streetwise amongst other things.

It also enhances the perception of ones character. I believe this is because as smoking can be a very social thing, smokers are generally perceived to be quite socialable people, and thus have good character.

The anti-smokers may say that smoking is dying out, and is becoming perceived as antiquated, childish and anti-social behaviour, but I'm a afraid in many social circles and areas of society the opposite is true.

Ok, I wouldn't say smoking enhances the character and appearance of an 18 year old chav mum, but I would say that it definitely enhances the character of most "normal" people, as it were.

Discuss.

i totally see where you're coming from, but smoking is a nasty addiction-so what does that really say about their character? and the fact that they still ignore ALL risks. i mean, why does it have to take a gas cannister at the age of 80 to realise how mindless smoking is?

its totally a European thing. Only the Westernised culture would pay to ruin their health :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Smoke or don't smoke.

It matters not because this is a ***** thread of trollage.

personal choice, freedom....yadda, yadda.

ReputationRep:
    anyone thinking smoking is cool should be shot right through the head.. my opinion lol

ReputationRep:
    its not cool but it is fun lol. i think guys look cool when they smoke tho.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, if you count slowly killing yourself as cool, then sure, smoking's a blast!

Incidentally, if you have to smoke to look cool, you are seriously uncool.

ReputationRep:
    Despite what the anti-smoking gestapo may say, amongst many people if you are under a certain age (most likely 30 and below), smoking does make you look cooler, gives you more credibility, and makes you look more streetwise amongst other things.
    If you are under 30 and enjoy smoking then you better also enjoy your short life. On the outside it might make you look like you have a strong character because you're able to do something that defies your health, but inside it shows that you're weak and insecure because you have the need to succumb to social pressure.

It also enhances the perception of ones character. I believe this is because as smoking can be a very social thing, smokers are generally perceived to be quite socialable people, and thus have good character.
    Enhances the perception of one's character? It smells repulsive, makes your teeth black, your fingers yellow and makes your breath stink. If anything, it makes you look messy. You don't have to smoke to be sociable! It means that you have the need to prove to others that you're sociable and part of a cool clique.

The anti-smokers may say that smoking is dying out, and is becoming perceived as antiquated, childish and anti-social behaviour, but I'm a afraid in many social circles and areas of society the opposite is true.
    And the fact that more people are smoking in many social circles means that it's cooler?

Ok, I wouldn't say smoking enhances the character and appearance of an 18 year old chav mum, but I would say that it definitely enhances the character of most "normal" people, as it were.

Discuss.
    If a "social circle" as you call it pressures you to smoke to become a part of its clique then they're a bunch of insecure, self conscious idiots and they're not worth hanging out with. I have a lot of good friends who smoke, but they'd never pressure me to smoke, nor would they say that smoking is cool. They're addicted to it and as a result they enjoy it, but they were lured into it by peer pressure. Smoking attests to the fact that you've succumbed to peer pressure in some way or another. That is the ONLY thing it shows.

ReputationRep:
    I hope all smokers get cancer and emphysema at 30.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syzygy7)
    I hope all smokers get cancer and emphysema at 30.
    I hope your dad rapes you tonight

ReputationRep:
    Sorry he's not in the house and isn't a rapist.

ReputationRep:
    people who say "oh, people just smoke to look cool" have no idea. i smoke because it tastes great and feels wonderful. if everyone else on earth died i'd probably smoke more, if anything.

ReputationRep:
    The real reason people in the media smoke: weight loss- especially the rock stars with their beer bellies!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.