Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skagitup)
    people who say "oh, people just smoke to look cool" have no idea. i smoke because it tastes great and feels wonderful. if everyone else on earth died i'd probably smoke more, if anything.
    You probably won't be saying that when you're older. Or if you do, it will be interrupted by fits of hacking coughs.

ReputationRep:
    yellow teeth and fingers

ReputationRep:
    It kills you, makes you stink like an ash tray and other than the obvious death by cancer or heart disease can reall adversely affect your health and your bank ballance. I am so glad that I managed to kick the habit five years ago, I've probably saved myself £7-10K in doing so...

ReputationRep:
    It's not too bad if you just have one or two when you go out of a weekend, but people who smoke more than 5 a day are disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bean87)
    its nothing to do with maturity, its to do with image

some people like a certain image or are attracted to said image. thats all. its not immature for a girl to find guys with red cowboy boots cool. just personal preference
    red cowboy boots don't potentially kill you..

ReputationRep:

Half this thread can get off now. Such funny bar stewards you non-smokers. Why you wish for us smokers to die early of a horrible disease because we made a choice to do something you were too scared to do is beyond me.

Smokers: We have bigger balls. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachael-69)
    when a girl goes clubbing and really needs a fag so goes out side for one when its raining ends up with massive curly hair and make up runing down her face is that cool?
    Go to a nightclub with a decent terrace or covered outside area?

I really wish i could quit
    Get some will power. The rest of us hardly care to be lectured to by someone who blames an inanimate object for her lack of self-control.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haeron)
    You probably won't be saying that when you're older. Or if you do, it will be interrupted by fits of hacking coughs.

So what? You might get aids or cancer when you are older, just because you don't smoke doesn't mean you are going to be healthy lol...

Not doing something when you are young because it will make your life harder when you are 70 is foolish. You only live once, and i would rather live my life to the full in my 20's and then accept the consequences in my later years when, to be be honest, no matter how healthy you were in youth, enjoying yourself is going to be a warm mug of cocoa and trying not to piss your pants before bathtime..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *TheSweetestDrug*)
    red cowboy boots don't potentially kill you..
    err yeah good point...

i mean completely irrelevant in the arguement... so actually... really really bad point

base jumping and motorcycle racing give a pretty cool image, but potentially kills you. since when does danger to life decreases coolness?

ReputationRep:
    Smoking is pretty cool (don't know why, it just is), but i don't think that is people's motivation for doing it. I don't enjoy smoking but others obviously do, so good luck to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skies)

Nobody picks up a packet of **** spontaneously and starts on their own.
    I did, well I asked a friend for one and was like ooooooooohhh this is gooooooood

Argh I hate being home, 5 days and not a single one :moon:

(Original post by Shiny Dirt)
    I can see how it looks cool, can look sexy (not long-term) as it makes you seem quite 'care-free' but healthy-wise, it's not at all cool, and husky voices are not sexy when you're an 18 year old girl.
    Husky voices are good on guys :awesome: They make you sing better

(Original post by chidona)
    Fixed that for you.
    Also, I'd say the cool people were the ones inside the pub, enjoying a nice glass of beer with friends, rather than standing outside in the drizzle and cold.
    I know weathers not always great in this country but to paint it as permanent drizzle and cold? Really now, and beer gardens are much better than the insides of pubs

Oh and girls who smoke are win, passing shisha smoke from your mouth to hers is definitely a good date

I'm a non-smoker but I definitely prefer smokers on average to non-smokers.

You can't generalise obviously, for starters that would mean that I'd have to hate myself then; but smokers aren't stupid. This might shock you all, but smokers do actually know that smoking harms them.

But they're the type of person who feels like they can make that decision for themself, and not be nannyed through life. They're the sort of person who just does something if they want to, and who are willing to enjoy themselves and enjoy life - I like being in smokers areas because they're always sociable and interesting people.

In contrast you go inside and you get the fascist non-smokers grumbling about how they're all morons and that they hope they enjoy their early and miserable deaths - just because they made a different lifestyle choice to them. I just can't relate to that kind of attitude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    Husky voices are good on guys :awesome: They make you sing better
    this is true! many male rock singers smoke to imprve their vocals, e.g Ville Valo of HIM
    i just hope he doesn't die too young :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    This thread proves Bill Hicks was right.

"Bunch of whining little maggots aren't they? Obnoxious self righteous slugs. I'd quit smoking if I didn't think I'd become one of them."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bean87)
    err yeah good point...

i mean completely irrelevant in the arguement... so actually... really really bad point

base jumping and motorcycle racing give a pretty cool image, but potentially kills you. since when does danger to life decreases coolness?
    i don't think smoking's cool
    you do think smoking's cool
    lets leave it at that..!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)

Half this thread can get off now. Such funny bar stewards you non-smokers. Why you wish for us smokers to die early of a horrible disease because we made a choice to do something you were too scared to do is beyond me.

Smokers: We have bigger balls. :yes:
    It's not something I'm too scared to do, it's something I'm too sensible to do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    Oh and girls who smoke are win, passing shisha smoke from your mouth to hers is definitely a good date
    Oh, you're talking about shisha, that's a different ballpark. Very different style, very different culture to it, and you can't really lope it in with bumming a fag outside the Queen's Head on an overcast February afternoon.

ReputationRep:
    I think smoking can be quite aesthetically pleasing, the motion of holding it and all the pretty smoke.

But realistically I don't understand why anyone would take it up now. I understand people continuing it out of habit and being apathetic about giving it up but choosing to buy that first packet? I don't get it. As far as I can tell you don't even get much of a hit off it and you're just setting yourself up for having to spend lots of money and nowadays having to keep going outside to get the nicotine fix which must be quite irritating. And all the heath things obviously but that goes without saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *TheSweetestDrug*)
    i don't think smoking's cool
    you do think smoking's cool
    lets leave it at that..!
    correct... and then you also think thats its pretty immature to be attracted to a smoker

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you can geralise, however of the most 3 intresting people i know, 2 smoke. Maybe a statistical bias towards smokers being more sociable?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.