Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How popular is the ancient history course at Cardiff? I have a feeling I'm going to miss my offer and want to discover if leniency could possibly come into play.

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff is as lenient as you like, but only if they have places. If you do miss your offer, you'll be put on a list, and the people who missed their offer by the smallest amount (and have the best grades) will get given places first. So if you only just missed your offer and your offer is higher than the minimum offer they give out, you've got a good chance.

To answer your first question, Ancient History is one of the less popular choices (most people who do History are more interested in "Modern History"), but I can't tell you if that means it's undersubscribed; I suspect not.

ReputationRep:
    As an actual degree course, I'd have to agree with James - it's not exactly oversubscribed. Most of the time, people who do it as a degree are doing it as a joint honours with Modern History. The 'popularity' in it comes from the electives side of things. I did it this year to make up my credits, and it's a really good course; I think people are put off by thinking they won't have the background knowledge in it (which, in all honesty, nobody will considering it covers nearly 1000 years of history in two different countries at two different times.

The rest has all been stated in the above post. If you miss your offer, you miss your offer. Universities can show some leeway sometimes, but, I wouldn't exactly worry about not getting in because the course is full - I remember having ticket number 50-something during registration, and still got on the course; obviously, there is a lot of interest, but it depends on what else people are doing too.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's pretty popular as a third subject amongst Archaeology students too.

ReputationRep:
    I'll hopefully be doing Ancient History. I've tried to find out how big and popular the course is, but with little success. I don't think it's one of the most popular ones for sure, because it's pretty specific and that, so hopefully you'll still be able to make it if you do miss out on your offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatatonicStupor)
    As an actual degree course, I'd have to agree with James - it's not exactly oversubscribed. Most of the time, people who do it as a degree are doing it as a joint honours with Modern History. The 'popularity' in it comes from the electives side of things. I did it this year to make up my credits, and it's a really good course; I think people are put off by thinking they won't have the background knowledge in it (which, in all honesty, nobody will considering it covers nearly 1000 years of history in two different countries at two different times.

The rest has all been stated in the above post. If you miss your offer, you miss your offer. Universities can show some leeway sometimes, but, I wouldn't exactly worry about not getting in because the course is full - I remember having ticket number 50-something during registration, and still got on the course; obviously, there is a lot of interest, but it depends on what else people are doing too.
    I didn't know you did Ancient History [in first year]!

Ancient History is reasonably popular, but as the others have said, I don't think it's over subscribed - many of the people taking it do so as an optional first year subject. There are still a decent number, however.
    As to how lenient they will be...completely depends on how many places they have, and how much you miss by.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredscarecrow)
    I didn't know you did Ancient History [in first year]!
    I'll admit I didn't turn up to as many lectures as I should have...kind of skipped out on almost every Roman lecture after Kate Gilliver's ones on running the city. I made sure I was there for hers because she was my seminar tutor. Greek was more my forte, so I stuck with that one.
    (And that, prospective freshers, is *not* how to approach lectures and learning in a University environment )

I can also say I didn't know you did Ancient History, or were doing History at all. I can chalk you up as another TSRer in Cardiff though...which makes a grand total of 4 who have been 'outed'. Some people just hide too darned well.

ReputationRep:
    i am currently doing ancient Rome as my extra module at Cardiff uni, in the exam i have to critically analyse sources, are their any basic or good point to make about Livy, Suetonius and polybius so gain a few marks---no idea what i'm doing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah213)
    i am currently doing ancient Rome as my extra module at Cardiff uni, in the exam i have to critically analyse sources, are their any basic or good point to make about Livy, Suetonius and polybius so gain a few marks---no idea what i'm doing
    A few basic points: when they lived, where they lived, what language they wrote in, their own sources, their agendas, and their social position.

There's an Ancient History Society facebook page for Cardiff. You could ask on there.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.