Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

History GCSE grade C to A* in a year! Could'nt help me could you? watch

ReputationRep:
    *!

ReputationRep:
    GCSE history mostly just comes down to PEE(L): point, evidence, explanation, (link). You need to be able to make a point, support it with evidence and explain why it's relevant. Rinse and repeat then reach a conclusion (if appropriate). Questions worth few marks rarely ask you to do any more than identify features of the text, or of a specific period, which is little more than a comprehension test. My advice would be to practise longer questions as much as possible.

Regarding the question in your signature, good grades alone will not get you into Cambridge, or any other university that relies on interviews. You'll need to show that you have something more to offer than being able to cope in exams. Also, I'd advise you to get rid of your sig as it makes you look fairly up yourself, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Chill out dude... you got good grades.

You thought of private tuition? Asking your teacher? Practise papers are amazing!

ReputationRep:
    Bit early, don't you think, for all of these GCSE aims?

You shouldn't be flashing the A* card when you are no where near finishing your GCSE's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terrorfication)
    Hey Guys,
    I am very ambitious yet I think I have the potential to match it, my problem is I was lazy this year. I am currently about to embark on my final GCSE year and im panicking all over the place. I am getting A*'s in 6,7 subjects but one of my worrying ones is my History, I am currently at grade C and this has worried me sick. Is it still possible to reach an A* grade if i put all my effort into it and what advice can you lend me in regards to History specific revision and Exam technique?

PLEASE I ONLY HAVE A YEAR, I CANNOT MESS UP, MY PARENTS PAID FOR MY PRIVATE SCHOOL AND I HAVE SCREWED UP IF I CAN'T SHOW THEM ITS ALL WORTH IT, PLEASE!

Thanks in advance!
    First of all, you don't have to try and fit in by proclaiming your A*s all over the show! Remember, plenty of other people get them too.

Second, you shouldn't be panicking about GCSEs - you should only panic about 6/7 weeks before the first exam (especially, if you've got a language). It annoys the hell out of me when I see people nonsensically dilly-dallying and sweating because of something that's a year away.

With regards to History specifically, have you been to http://www.johndclare.net? I did my GCSEs this summer (get the results three weeks tomorrow!) and when I went into my History exam I remembered a good few of the 'formulas' I'd learnt from that site and, of course, much of the content from lessons and the textbook. If you need anything else, PM me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMeister)
    First of all, you don't have to try and fit in by proclaiming your A*s all over the show! Remember, plenty of other people get them too.

Second, you shouldn't be panicking about GCSEs - you should only panic about 6/7 weeks before the first exam (especially, if you've got a language). It annoys the hell out of me when I see people nonsensically dilly-dallying and sweating because of something that's a year away.

With regards to History specifically, have you been to http://www.johndclare.net? I did my GCSEs this summer (get the results three weeks tomorrow!) and when I went into my History exam I remembered a good few of the 'formulas' I'd learnt from that site and, of course, much of the content from lessons and the textbook. If you need anything else, PM me.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    GCSE history mostly just comes down to PEE(L): point, evidence, explanation, (link). You need to be able to make a point, support it with evidence and explain why it's relevant. Rinse and repeat then reach a conclusion (if appropriate). Questions worth few marks rarely ask you to do any more than identify features of the text, or of a specific period, which is little more than a comprehension test. My advice would be to practise longer questions as much as possible.

Regarding the question in your signature, good grades alone will not get you into Cambridge, or any other university that relies on interviews. You'll need to show that you have something more to offer than being able to cope in exams. Also, I'd advise you to get rid of your sig as it makes you look fairly up yourself, to be honest.
    I totally agree,with this
    you can be ambitiuous but considering you don't even get your GCSEs this year, your sig is OTT.

ReputationRep:
    seeing as your a C atm, its going to be hard to get yourself up to an A*! just focus hard in the lessons and make notes on EVERYTHING then go over the notes, also if you dont undersatnd ASK! and get some extra essay questions and stuff, the GCSE exam for Britain this year was so annoying of all the things it was on the const of 1913-1914... i was like :O Ah well, get alot of revision in as well! anyway history is easy once you get the hang of it its easy

ReputationRep:
    Easily done.. I got EEU in my History GCSE mock in the january, got an A in June. (I just read the booklet the teacher gave us with stuff we need to know in the nights before a few times)

ReputationRep:
    basically when answering an essay question look at how many marks its worth
    if its worth 12 marks, you need make 3 or 4 points, use evidence to back up these points, then explain them
    and sometimes for higher mark questions, or questions that ask you to argue, you will need a conclusion at the end

and BAM.

so yeah, Point, evidence & explain...

often people think history is about memorizing loads of boring dates + facts, granted you gotta memorize a few but its all about the way you answer the question

ReputationRep:
    put max effort in.. and u will achieve it for sure.. remember the fact, tht its not an impossible thing.. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mituozo)
    Easily done.. I got EEU in my History GCSE mock in the january, got an A in June. (I just read the booklet the teacher gave us with stuff we need to know in the nights before a few times)
    Just like to say well done on your firm!!

What did you get at GCSE's? Just curious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roosel4)
    Just like to say well done on your firm!!

What did you get at GCSE's? Just curious.
    Nothing fantastic, 1 A*, 7 A's, 3B's and a C. Shows that there's a lot more to applying etc than your GCSEs .. I didn't work nearly as hard as I probably should've done though, and maybe Cambridge would be my firm if that was the case now, who knows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terrorfication)
    Hey Guys,
    I am very ambitious yet I think I have the potential to match it, my problem is I was lazy this year. I am currently about to embark on my final GCSE year and im panicking all over the place. I am getting A*'s in 6,7 subjects but one of my worrying ones is my History, I am currently at grade C and this has worried me sick. Is it still possible to reach an A* grade if i put all my effort into it and what advice can you lend me in regards to History specific revision and Exam technique?

PLEASE I ONLY HAVE A YEAR, I CANNOT MESS UP, MY PARENTS PAID FOR MY PRIVATE SCHOOL AND I HAVE SCREWED UP IF I CAN'T SHOW THEM ITS ALL WORTH IT, PLEASE!

Thanks in advance!
    in response to your signature obviosuly everyone really wants all A*'s. also how can you be likely to get an A in history and german when you're at a C?!?!

yes you can get into those universities with those gcse grades, providing your as and a levels are all at A grades

in response to your post just work extra hard and have no social life

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for the info guys. That link really helped as well as the techniques etc... Im not really a stuck up guy i just think im going through a panic phase and making my signature look like that gives me self confidence which is epicly sad i know but i was just following 90% of the guys on here!
    peace

ReputationRep:
    If it makes you feel any better, even if you constantly forget dates/names (you know, an important part of the History course ), if you can teach yourself to talk around it and focus on technique, you can definitely get an A*! Worked for me! lol

ReputationRep:
    fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

since the outcome hasn't happened yet, there's still time to change it. must feel like hitting a* is against the odds, but all you can do is just try.

ReputationRep:
    1st paper, use PECK for (6) markers as in, point for the cartoon , two examples and as much contextual knowledge 3+ to back up the point.

for (9) I used 3 PEE paragraphs as in a point example explain

(12) APEA - Argument point evidence analysis, use all sources and both side of sources. with conclusion

Same with second paper except with (7) markers use PECKS so point, evidence, contextual knowledge as well as the other side of the source.

The first paper is mainly factual and the second is using the sources, i havnt got my GCSE results yet but in the MOCKS i got full marks in first paper and around 97% in second so it works (: i left bits out and stuff cause it kinda boring but i hope it helps

P.s Remember facts !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)

Hello, I just don't understand what would you give for the evidence, would you give a fact or do you have to quote. By the way I'm doing Edexcel History B: American West Paper in June.

I'm really worried because I'm aiming for an A* but I'm no where near it yet.

ReputationRep:
    I resat a C to an A*.

All I did was make sure that the points being made flew into each other. When I saw the question I wrote down a bullet point list of all the points I could make and then ordered them so that they give a complete picture - I ended up with full marks.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.