Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

History GCSE grade C to A* in a year! Could'nt help me could you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    do you not know the stuff?
    only watch history documentaries, only visit historical sites, only read historical books, you know where i'm goin' doncha? lol
    well you probably won't have to be that serious, but brush up on your history if that's the problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secretassasin69)
    Hello, I just don't understand what would you give for the evidence, would you give a fact or do you have to quote. By the way I'm doing Edexcel History B: American West Paper in June.

I'm really worried because I'm aiming for an A* but I'm no where near it yet.
    For source-based questions, your evidence would come from the sources: direct quotes and inferences from provided data would be obvious choices. For any longer questions, you would need to give evidence based on your own knowledge, such as specific historical examples relating to the point you're making.

ReputationRep:
    I got a D in my history mock but ended up with an A* overall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    For source-based questions, your evidence would come from the sources: direct quotes and inferences from provided data would be obvious choices. For any longer questions, you would need to give evidence based on your own knowledge, such as specific historical examples relating to the point you're making.
    oh ok this is helpful as last minute revision since the exam's on 20th June 2012. I don't know some of the content because for most of the topic we had a cover sociology teacher teaching us history. Any other advice? btw I have the official edexcel book for american west & i am making notes on it & revising from it. Do you have any other tips? please help. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    GCSE history mostly just comes down to PEE(L): point, evidence, explanation, (link). You need to be able to make a point, support it with evidence and explain why it's relevant. Rinse and repeat then reach a conclusion (if appropriate). Questions worth few marks rarely ask you to do any more than identify features of the text, or of a specific period, which is little more than a comprehension test. My advice would be to practise longer questions as much as possible.

Regarding the question in your signature, good grades alone will not get you into Cambridge, or any other university that relies on interviews. You'll need to show that you have something more to offer than being able to cope in exams. Also, I'd advise you to get rid of your sig as it makes you look fairly up yourself, to be honest.
    Do u have history gcse aqa 2015 papers?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.