Turn on thread page Beta

Diet / Gym / Supplements Questions watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17, 11 stone and looking to bulk. What is an achievable weight gain to for myself? And in how much time? Anyway using this program: http://www.myprotein.co.uk/your-goal...ticle=training So doing workouts 4 times a week. How long should my rests be? 2 minutes sound ok? or what?

Arriving in the post today was: Omega 3 Fish Oil, Creatine, Dextrose and Multivitamins. All bought from My-Protein.co.uk. And I also have Whey Protein i got from there a bit back too. I will input my current diet and i am asking how i should place the above supplements into my diet. (Note that this is my workout diet, on non workout days i get up to an hour later and of course don't have a post workout shake. Lunch is usually smaller too.

Breakfast (9am): 3 Weetabix, Branflakes and 500ml of Blue top Milk.

Post Workout (11am-11:30am): 1.5 scoop of Whey Protein mixed with water.

Lunch: 100ish grams of Pasta with 3/4 of a tin of Baked Beans and Cheese grated over. Maybe a bit of milk too with this meal but nothing over half a pint.

Mid afternoon Snack: 1-1.5 pint of milk. Banana and Apple.

Dinner: Could be anything from Roast Dinner to Salmon to Chips. Tends to be healthy as with veg about 4-5 times a week. Nothing over half a pint of milk too.

After Dinner snack: 1-1.5 pint of milk and some decent small bit of food with it - whatever i find.

Pre-Bed: Sometimes i take some Whey Protein, what should i do now?

So whatever i can do to this diet with the added supplements and also what i can do to it anyway with maybe adding some foods or something?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone???

ReputationRep:
    Well, for gaining weight and muscle, you really want a high protein diet and obviously need to work out regularly. When using protein shakes its really easy to waste a lot of it because you have too much at a time. Your body can only take in so much protein at a time so having too much in one go just wastes a lot of it. Supplement companies usually recommend taking far more than you need in one go so that you keep buying it aswell, its much better to have smaller amounts more frequently. Also, some protein shakes are a lot better than others, this is because of the types of protein and other ingredients used. Often, unfortunately, the really cheap whey proteins are a lot less effective than the main brands like maximuscle.
    If your 11 stone and 17 you probably have quite a fast metabolism and find it hard to put on weight, so your not going to put on weight as rapidly as you might hope. Depending on how often you exercise and what your eating you could put on between 0.5 and 1.5 stone in a year (for your metabolism type). After a year you should be a completely different shape to how you were previously and I suggest that you take a picture of your upper body every month to see how your progressing, otherwise it can seem like your not getting any bigger.
    When you say rests do you mean between sets or between different exercises. Between sets I would say a max of 1 minute and between exercises it doesn't really matter. Try and do as many exercises as you can for each muscle group because each will work a different muscle more. Your triceps have 3 muscles for example, and there are exercises that focus on different ones.
    Sorry if some parts have been a bit obvious but this should help you. As for protein foods fish, meat are obviously the best.
    Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ollyollyolly)
    Well, for gaining weight and muscle, you really want a high protein diet and obviously need to work out regularly. When using protein shakes its really easy to waste a lot of it because you have too much at a time. Your body can only take in so much protein at a time so having too much in one go just wastes a lot of it. Supplement companies usually recommend taking far more than you need in one go so that you keep buying it aswell, its much better to have smaller amounts more frequently. Also, some protein shakes are a lot better than others, this is because of the types of protein and other ingredients used. Often, unfortunately, the really cheap whey proteins are a lot less effective than the main brands like maximuscle.
    If your 11 stone and 17 you probably have quite a fast metabolism and find it hard to put on weight, so your not going to put on weight as rapidly as you might hope. Depending on how often you exercise and what your eating you could put on between 0.5 and 1.5 stone in a year (for your metabolism type). After a year you should be a completely different shape to how you were previously and I suggest that you take a picture of your upper body every month to see how your progressing, otherwise it can seem like your not getting any bigger.
    When you say rests do you mean between sets or between different exercises. Between sets I would say a max of 1 minute and between exercises it doesn't really matter. Try and do as many exercises as you can for each muscle group because each will work a different muscle more. Your triceps have 3 muscles for example, and there are exercises that focus on different ones.
    Sorry if some parts have been a bit obvious but this should help you. As for protein foods fish, meat are obviously the best.
    Hope that helps
    That's incredible, how did you manage to work out his "metabolism type" and (badly) predict and upper weight gain? :lolwut:

There's another 9 stone kid on here that gained over a stone in less than 2 months. You don't even know
    ben's height or past diet, yet you're predicting he has a very high metabolism. Maybe he just doesn't eat much. A novice should be able to gain more than 20 solid-ass pounds in a year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    That's incredible, how did you manage to work out his "metabolism type" and (badly) predict and upper weight gain? :lolwut:

There's another 9 stone kid on here that gained over a stone in less than 2 months. You don't even know
    ben's height or past diet, yet you're predicting he has a very high metabolism. Maybe he just doesn't eat much. A novice should be able to gain more than 20 solid-ass pounds in a year.
    I did say probably, and what is the harm in predicting how fast his metabolism is, if it is fast then it is going to take longer for him to put on weight. And when people post questions about how to gain weight on forums its usually because they don't seem to be putting on any weight by just eating more. He also posted what he eats daily so I know that he does eat a reasonable amount of food. In my first year of training I worked out regularly, took protein supliments and dieted and put on 1 stone in a year. I got a lot stronger and was much bigger but i only put on 1 stone, this is because i have a fast metabolism.
    Putting on 1 stone in 2 months is definately above what the average person who wants to gain weight actually gains.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys - i do have a fast metabolism for the record.

How shall i implement these supplements i got into my diet though?

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    I also thought I just had a "fast metabolism" because I was 190cm ( ~6'3" ) and weighed 66,5kg(~146lbs) and even though I ate whatever I wanted to, which contained a lot of unhealthy ****, then I would never gain any weight.

I finally got fed up with being a skinny **** though and decided that I wanted to turn it around, so once I started to train and drink a GOMAD (skim milk though) I quickly gained a lot of weight because in reality I had never really eaten a whole lot.

Yesterday I had my 1 year anniversary and since I started I've gone up to 82,5kg (with a bf around 10-12%) and gotten a lot stronger which has helped a lot when I play football.

Regarding your questions then I'd advice you to take a shake as the first thing in the morning, as your body has been fasting for ~8hours and needs some fuel. You obviously want something more than just a protein shake for breakfast, but you should down your shake first and then continue with your regular morning routine.

And you also want to drink a shake immediately after your workout and you also want to take your creatine here and some dextrose.

I take my vitamins together with dinner as some (A, D, E and K) need fat for being absorbed into the body.

You say you sometimes drink a whey shake pre-bed, but that's really not the best idea as whey is a very fast absorbed protein (which is why it's so awesome for you as first thing in the morning and post workout), where you instead want a slow released protein right before you go to sleep, so your body has more to work with during the night.

So it would probably be better to swap the whey protein for casein here, or simply just drink a litre of milk as most of the protein in milk is casein (~80%).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)

Idd. I'm now 12.5 stone after putting on half a stone in just over a month since beginning to work out, and I just eat a regular 3 meal diet with an added couple of pints of full fat milk, none of this supplement stuff..

Oh and by the way, I find it almost laughable that people think that they need vitamin tablets when they have a healthy diet anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elementric)
    Idd. I'm now 12.5 stone after putting on half a stone in just over a month since beginning to work out, and I just eat a regular 3 meal diet with an added couple of pints of full fat milk, none of this supplement stuff..

Oh and by the way, I find it almost laughable that people think that they need vitamin tablets when they have a healthy diet anyway.
    If you're training hard, your vitamin requirements can be increased. A lot of guys starting colds more frequently when training and a multi-vit seems to be the norm.

I don't have much direct experience with this so I can't really debate all the ins and outs without spending an annoyingly large amount of time googling **** just to sound like I know what I'm talking about on a student fitness forum.

So if you have any point you'd like to add after this, you win. You're the champ. No contest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    If you're training hard, your vitamin requirements can be increased. A lot of guys starting colds more frequently when training and a multi-vit seems to be the norm.

I don't have much direct experience with this so I can't really debate all the ins and outs without spending an annoyingly large amount of time googling **** just to sound like I know what I'm talking about on a student fitness forum.

So if you have any point you'd like to add after this, you win. You're the champ. No contest.
    Haha I was just about to google vitamins but then decided I really couldn't be arsed.

ReputationRep:
    I just don't give a **** anymore. :top:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bowrofl)
    I also thought I just had a "fast metabolism" because I was 190cm ( ~6'3" ) and weighed 66,5kg(~146lbs) and even though I ate whatever I wanted to, which contained a lot of unhealthy ****, then I would never gain any weight.

I finally got fed up with being a skinny **** though and decided that I wanted to turn it around, so once I started to train and drink a GOMAD (skim milk though) I quickly gained a lot of weight because in reality I had never really eaten a whole lot.

Yesterday I had my 1 year anniversary and since I started I've gone up to 82,5kg (with a bf around 10-12%) and gotten a lot stronger which has helped a lot when I play football.

Regarding your questions then I'd advice you to take a shake as the first thing in the morning, as your body has been fasting for ~8hours and needs some fuel. You obviously want something more than just a protein shake for breakfast, but you should down your shake first and then continue with your regular morning routine.

And you also want to drink a shake immediately after your workout and you also want to take your creatine here and some dextrose.

I take my vitamins together with dinner as some (A, D, E and K) need fat for being absorbed into the body.

You say you sometimes drink a whey shake pre-bed, but that's really not the best idea as whey is a very fast absorbed protein (which is why it's so awesome for you as first thing in the morning and post workout), where you instead want a slow released protein right before you go to sleep, so your body has more to work with during the night.

So it would probably be better to swap the whey protein for casein here, or simply just drink a litre of milk as most of the protein in milk is casein (~80%).
    Cheers, so i take the creatine and dextrose post workout with the Whey Protein? Anywhere else in my diet where i should/could have them? I have the Multivitamin with Dinner (as in the 6pm dinner?) then? What shall I do with the Omega 3 Fish Oils too? Cheers

ReputationRep:
    How do you know you have a fast metabolism? Your 17ffs your still growing

ReputationRep:
    All 17 year olds think they are ectos and have an über high metabolism. Skinny 17 year olds are in a lucky position to eat everything in site and gain minimal fat, they just don't realise the advantage they have.

I chuckle when 17 year olds worry about eating too much or getting too fat. It just doesn't happen; not in a meaningful disadvantageous way.

/sweeping statement.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.