Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do 'breaks' in a relationship ever work? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone ever gone a 'break' form their loved one because of a strain in the relationship? If so, how did it pan out? Did it do any good? Did the end justify the means?

ReputationRep:
    Mine didn't go well at all, so sorry if you were looking for reassurance :p: It's pointless most of the time really.

ReputationRep:
    full speed mate. why u need breaks?

ReputationRep:
    "We were on a break!!"

If you watch Friends you'll know what I mean :cool:

ReputationRep:
    a break is the first part of breaking up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howells)
    Mine didn't go well at all, so sorry if you were looking for reassurance :p: It's pointless most of the time really.
    That's what I'm thinking. I think it's better to just end it.

I disagree, it completely depends on the situation. I have been on two breaks from my boyfriend within a year, each only lasted about two weeks. The reasoning behind it was that he suffers from anxiety and he felt relationship pressures were getting on top of him, so we took a step back until he calmed down. Works perfectly and we're still completely in love but as I said, totally depends on the situation and the reason behind the break.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    That's what I'm thinking. I think it's better to just end it.
    It all depends on the reason for the break. The majority of times, you should just end it. But if there's a good excuse for the break, there's no reason to be hasty and break up.

ReputationRep:
    If you have a relationship with someone it is because you like them and want to be with them. The day you want to be left alone by them for a longer period of time (i.e. this break) just for the sake of it, it means that one doesnt like the other enough to want to continue. Effectively, back to square one for the short period of time you have to convince the person to get back together, then once that period of time is over then its over.

Unless the break is due to some other circumstance/complication

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I disagree, it completely depends on the situation. I have been on two breaks from my boyfriend within a year, each only lasted about two weeks. The reasoning behind it was that he suffers from anxiety and he felt relationship pressures were getting on top of him, so we took a step back until he calmed down. Works perfectly and we're still completely in love but as I said, totally depends on the situation and the reason behind the break.
    I think maybe it depends on the "terms" of the break. If you're just taking a two week break from seeing/talking to each other the it may do you some good. My break was nothing like that, it was just pointless and irritating.

ReputationRep:
    Usually I would say no to a break, but my partner of 3 years this month decided that we'd have it no other way and it was what we needed.
    Our relationship was going down hill and we were always arguing. We hadn't seen in two weeks and then he decided a break was necessary, for which he said we wouldn't see for another two.
    A week later he decided to see me again after effectively having not seen for 3 weeks or even spoke to one and other much/at all.
    I guess in this instance love really did work.

There's just something I don't like about breaks, however. It's as though they're a couples way of saying "Look, I still love you but we're just not working anymore - thus, to make it less painful to ourselves we'll brand it a 'break' and just call it quits when we're a little more over one and other."
    Many may not agree with that but that's how I see it. I think it's awful when two persons are still in love with one and other but just no longer 'click', as though the conversation has run dry and they've became bored of one and other. Letting go of somebody you love is always upsetting and, arguably, it can be even moreso if they still love you too.

ReputationRep:
    Me and my bf went on a break. It was weird, neither of us really knew how to act like we weren't in love and after an awkward trip to the shop as it was already planned, we went to the pub and before you know it he was kissing me saying he loved me and eveything was normal again :/

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought that if you needed to go on a break in the first place, then you weren't meant for each other.

ReputationRep:
    breaks generally dont work

ReputationRep:
    Hmm...I have done, yes. It was, well he TOLD me it was because he was all stressed with life decisions after having done his GCSEs and that he didn't want to have to have the weight of a relationship on his shoulders. As I later found out, it was mostly because his ex came back :/ we DID get back together though, it was nice and blissful for a couple of weeks but then it just stopped working. I don't think we were particularly suited anyway, and various things such as the age gap and the different places we were in life, not to mention us both being very busy, got in the way. So the relationship ended for good.

However I think the effectiveness of a break depends on the problem in the first place that requires it. If it's something temporary that can be fixed in the time of the 'break' - can't think of an example right now - then the couple can come happily back together as no underlying issues remain. But from what I've seen, breaks for reasons like "I want to be single for a while" rarely work because the partner becomes happier being single, and the same issues can come back to haunt the relationship when it reforms.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.