Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey All,
    I've got a "set amount" to live on and i'm wondering if its enough. Just wondering how much people spent in their first year.

ReputationRep:
    I managed on the student loan all year, and had some left over. But my parents paid for accommodation so that may be why. Will you be paying for that as well out of that set amount?

ReputationRep:
    It varied massively, for all three years!! Usually between about £50 and £80 a week, although if I had to pay for stuff other than food/going out (fieldtrips, clothes, books, computer stuff etc) then that would push it up a bit!

You can live on a pretty small budget if you're careful, I wasn't very organised and never really managed to make a budget despite a few attempts!

Edit: If you're paying for accom out of your loan (I was) and don't get more than the basic loan, there isn't much left to play with!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomc87)
    It varied massively, for all three years!! Usually between about £50 and £80 a week, although if I had to pay for stuff other than food/going out (fieldtrips, clothes, books, computer stuff etc) then that would push it up a bit!
    I think i have just enough going by what you say. What is getting jobs like in aber during term time? I assume theres quite a rush.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizk123)
    I managed on the student loan all year, and had some left over. But my parents paid for accommodation so that may be why. Will you be paying for that as well out of that set amount?
    Nah, the set amount is for food (if i dont get catered accomidation), and just generally surviving :P

ReputationRep:
    I was also wondering how hard it is to get a job in Aber, considering I have no experiance despite trying

How much is it in pubs, or the union for drinks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leetness)
    I think i have just enough going by what you say. What is getting jobs like in aber during term time? I assume theres quite a rush.

Well there were plenty around when I first looked, although that was 2006/7, the situation isn't so great now! Things will come up, you'll just have to keep looking/maybe try to get in early if you really want a job. Being able to stay for some of the christmas holidays will also do you favours in terms of job prospects!

And I think you could live alright on £40 a week, but you might struggle then if you needed to buy stuff apart from food/going out, I could have spent less if i'd made some effort!!

(Original post by Sun!)

How much is it in pubs, or the union for drinks?
    It depends how fussy you our about what you drink! tues, thurs and friday you can get £1 drinks from various places, or cheap doubles, shots etc. Normal pub prices will be around £2 or so for a pint, and same for a spirit & mixer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leetness)
    Nah, the set amount is for food (if i dont get catered accomidation), and just generally surviving :P
    I set myself a budget of about £60 a week, for food and sometimes a couple nights out each week. Depends on what your set amount is, but I am sure you'll be fine and can work out a way to live on whatever money it is you get.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.