Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talya)
    Am I right this is up to 1GB of 3G/Edge/GPRS usage per month?

Thanks
    It should be included in the plan..

My plan is unlimited WIFI, 600 minutes and 500 texts..

I am ALWAYS online on my iPhone and the computer.. At least for eight hours a day.. (I know it's too much but what else can I do on a staycation?).

But my bills have been very good so far.. None of them went actually on the 34.99 or whatever that I had to pay so..

It's unlimited..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Untitled258)
    Plug your phone into your laptop, and you can use the 3g, to get onto the internet on the pc, i think, pretty sure its that.
    Yeah I think that's the thing they charge you for.. They charge you for internet tethering.

ReputationRep:
    They try to charge for it.

In reality, it is so simple to get it for free anyone paying £15 a month for it would commit suicide.

You dont even need to jailbreak!

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't even aware there was a limit. I'd be surprised if I don't use more than 200mb and I've not been charged extra,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeL230)
    They try to charge for it.

In reality, it is so simple to get it for free anyone paying £15 a month for it would commit suicide.

You dont even need to jailbreak!
    Same for 3gs? sweet

ReputationRep:
    Yes

Pm me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of getting this on Pay and Go, don't really need their so called unlimited data plan. As I use Wi-Fi more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hafa)
    I'm thinking of getting this on Pay and Go, don't really need their so called unlimited data plan. As I use Wi-Fi more.
    You get a free 12 months web and wifi bolton (unlimited data) anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I got the 'Unlimited Web' bolt-on for a '30 day rolling contract simplicity SIM card thingy'.

Does that mean using 3g/gprs and thus will have a 200mb limit? what's the speed like between 3g and gprs?

ReputationRep:
    You get a free 12 months web and wifi bolton (unlimited data) anyway.

Really, on Pay and Go?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, well at least you used to, i think they still do it though..

ReputationRep:
    Yes, well at least you used to, i think they still do it though..
    I just checked yep. That is still available. But need to use the sim card they provide. I'm currently on the O2 Simplicity 30 day contract. But don't mind moving to Pay&Go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talya)
    Am I right this is up to 1GB of 3G/Edge/GPRS usage per month?

Thanks
    No, it's unlimited, but with a fair use policy. There is no set limit, but if you're streaming music 24/7, torrenting large files or otherwise taking the piss, they might complain. Here is the relevant text from the iPhone Terms and Conditions:
    The O2 Web & Wi-Fi Bolt On allows you unlimited use of O2 UK's Edge, GPRS, 3G and HSDPA networks, The Cloud's UK Wireless LAN network and the BT Openzone UK Wireless LAN network, for personal internet use and email. All usage must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes. You may not use your SIM Card in any device to allow the continuous streaming of any audio / video content, enable P2P or file sharing or use them in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other O2 customers. If O2 reasonably suspect you are not acting in accordance with this policy O2 reserves the right to impose further charges or disconnect your tariff at any time, having attempted to contact you first.

ReputationRep:
    200mb is a lot for browsing webpages etc, although it might not sound like a lot it is for most people I reckon.

As far as i'm aware, the limit isnt really there for iPhone users. basically as long as you're not downloading or torrenting/ using the phone as a server or something then they wont do anything, unless you are using excessive data on a month-by-month basis.

they basically state that you can't be adversely affecting the services for other users. Which tbh, is fine.

Given how many hotspots there are now, I dont really think there is much need to use GB's worth of data month after month

ReputationRep:
    Yes

Pm me.
    Apparently they are really clamping down on it. T-mobile got hard on it when people started using their N95's like that.

not really worth it to risk getting disconnected

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skribla)
    200mb is a lot for browsing webpages etc, although it might not sound like a lot it is for most people I reckon.

As far as i'm aware, the limit isnt really there for iPhone users. basically as long as you're not downloading or torrenting/ using the phone as a server or something then they wont do anything, unless you are using excessive data on a month-by-month basis.

they basically state that you can't be adversely affecting the services for other users. Which tbh, is fine.

Given how many hotspots there are now, I dont really think there is much need to use GB's worth of data month after month
    Yes, I agree with this. I'm not aware of the average amount of data per website, but if you're just browsing the web and not downloading any FILES, then I highly, highly doubt you'll go over the 200mb. Just save the App downloading, etc. for when you get home or you can use a Wifi connection... I'd be too afraid of running out of battery if I was constantly downloading **** anyway.

ReputationRep:
    How do I use The Cloud? Doesn't it require a username and password? Or will it know I am a iPhone and let me on?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talya)
    How do I use The Cloud? Doesn't it require a username and password? Or will it know I am a iPhone and let me on?
    Thanks
    It asks for your mobile number, once you've typed that in you'll be connected. In theory, you'll only have to type your phone number in once because it remembers you after the first time.

ReputationRep:
    Is there any way to see how much you've used?

Reason I ask is that I've just moved house and have been tethering my iPhone for its connection when I couldn't use my T-Mobile dongle. I had my XBOX download about 300MB and I've been streaming Radio 1 for an hour or so for the past 4-5 days!

EDIT: Found it on the iPhone just now (Settings -> General -> Usage -> Cellular Network Data). 21.9MB sent and 646MB received in 4-5 days. Whoops

ReputationRep:
    It was originally going to be 200MB, but then Apple was all like "wtf" and O2 changed it. So there is no hard limit.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.