Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am sooo jealous of the people that are smart enough to get into Oxford and Cambridge!
    It was always my ambition to go to Cambridge when i was like 7 years old, but then the truth of grades meant i couldn't get in :sadnod:
    All my family have gone to great uni's - my parents went to Durham, my aunt & uncle went to Cambridge, along with 2 of their kids, and my other cousin going to Bristol and now she's finished her medicine degree in Swansea and is a fully qualified doctor.
    I just wish i could have do that well!

Anyone else feel the same? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Just for the sake of saying ''I went to Oxbridge'', you mean?

Nah, I'm happy with my lot :yep: Make the most of what you have

ReputationRep:
    Not really hehe, my mum did a diploma at the UEA and my aunt did a degree at the UEA but then went back to her old job anyway.

They've never heard of Durham and Warwick (which were the two places I got accepted by)

But I'd not want the awful pressure of "oo your cousins went to Oxford" anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    Just for the sake of saying ''I went to Oxbridge'', you mean?

Nah, I'm happy with my lot :yep: Make the most of what you have
    Not really :p:
    It just seems like such a great experience, not anything to do with how it looks/sounds to other people

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too fussed. My dad has always been very successful and clever but he's only ever pressured us to do our best. And that's what we have done and i'm going to a well respected Uni not exactly Cambridge, but nothing to be ashamed of. Not that you should be ashamed of any uni, but you know what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buster_Bunny)
    Not really :p:
    It just seems like such a great experience, not anything to do with how it looks/sounds to other people
    Im sure you dont just have to go to oxbridge for this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeL230)
    Im sure you dont just have to go to oxbridge for this.
    Yeah thats true! :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    My parents didn't even go to Uni, so just the fact that I'm going is a big deal to them.

ReputationRep:
    I just want to go to a good enough university, get a good career and have fun.

I don't care about Oxbridge tbh...

Though my dad hinted to his old uni, Warwick lol

ReputationRep:
    Awesome is in the eye of the beholder

ReputationRep:
    My parents went to average uni's, my dad went to southern Illinois university in America and my mum went to Keele. My grandparents also went to average uni's. And both of my parents siblings went to a private uni (buckingham) My sister goes to kent and my cousins go to nottingham, bristol, imperial and sheffield. So im not really that bothered about going to hull, yes i do envy some of my cousins but........... o well.

ReputationRep:
    If it's full of cocks like Halfwit off big brother id rather go elsewhere..
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Well, you could always take a year out and apply again if you're that bothered?

To be honest, I'm pretty content with my current choice. Obviously I'll never know until I get there and have been thee for at least a semester, but if worst comes to worst, then I'll simply drop out and re-apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King4eva)
    My parents went to average uni's, my dad went to southern Illinois university in America and my mum went to Keele. My grandparents also went to average uni's. And both of my parents siblings went to a private uni (buckingham) My sister goes to kent and my cousins go to nottingham, bristol, imperial and sheffield. So im not really that bothered about going to hull, yes i do envy some of my cousins but........... o well.
    What's the deal with the Jay Z sig?

ReputationRep:
    My Dad's friend wouldn't tell anyone he went to Oxford University, because he thought he'd get beaten up.

:lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buster_Bunny)
    I am sooo jealous of the people that are smart enough to get into Oxford and Cambridge!
    It was always my ambition to go to Cambridge when i was like 7 years old, but then the truth of grades meant i couldn't get in :sadnod:
    All my family have gone to great uni's - my parents went to Durham, my aunt & uncle went to Cambridge, along with 2 of their kids, and my other cousin going to Bristol and now she's finished her medicine degree in Swansea and is a fully qualified doctor.
    I just wish i could have do that well!

Anyone else feel the same? :p:
    I love how Swansea is in your list for "The Awesome Uni's" :woo:

Don't be jealous. Let's make more generalisations and say that people who go to Oxbridge have no social skills.

ReputationRep:
    if cambridge or oxford did accounting and finance i would have applied but they dont, so i dont really care

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blooroo)
    What's the deal with the Jay Z sig?
    i think its supposed to look like him doing Gervais

ReputationRep:
    My parents didn't even have the chance to finish their secondary education, so they're impressed about the fact that I'm applying to Cambridge. They always forget what I want to study (English) and at which university ('Harvard? Oxford?') though, but I know they're proud because I'm trying
    You shouldn't let the fact that your family went there bother you - you're different, so what?
    If Cambridge really is what you want, perhaps you can apply there next year/resit A-levels?? But I think you should make sure it's your dream, and not somewhere you want to go because you 'should'.

ReputationRep:
    None of my family have been to university, so anything has to be an improvement! :top:

Saying that, it has already become apparent that some of them will be disappointed if I don't get into Oxbridge :lolwut:

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.