Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It's all relative, really. You should be really proud of whatever you do and wherever you go, as long as it's to the very limit of your abilities and you put everything into it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't this it's so important.

My place has much of the good of an Oxbridge college, better levels of 1:1 tuition, and none of the high-pressure hothouse crap.

So for me, Lampeter scores highly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeL230)
    Im sure you dont just have to go to oxbridge for this.
    It's a very specific sort of experience though, and it's difficult to get outside of Oxford and Cambridge.

Mind you, some people go to Oxbridge and still manage to miss out on the experience!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buster_Bunny)
    I am sooo jealous of the people that are smart enough to get into Oxford and Cambridge!
    It was always my ambition to go to Cambridge when i was like 7 years old, but then the truth of grades meant i couldn't get in :sadnod:
    All my family have gone to great uni's - my parents went to Durham, my aunt & uncle went to Cambridge, along with 2 of their kids, and my other cousin going to Bristol and now she's finished her medicine degree in Swansea and is a fully qualified doctor.
    I just wish i could have do that well!

Anyone else feel the same? :p:
    Same as what? I'm at a great uni doing a good course. I'm happy

ReputationRep:
    None of my family went to university, so im being praised left right and centre.

Well, my brother did for a year doing Geography at Manchester but it just wasn't for him, so he dropped out and now has a job.

Im going to be going to Leeds/Liverpool hopefully, and they are both very respectable universities, so why be jealous of people going to more 'prestigious' universities. You work to the best of your ability and be proud of yourself

ReputationRep:
    I've never had a desire to go to Oxbridge, only Manchester, UCL, York or Edinburgh...and I'm going to Manchester so goal achieved.

ReputationRep:
    not really, I really really doubt I would fit in at Oxford/Cambridge for quite a few reasons :/
    I am happy with where I am though, finally know what I want to do etc

ReputationRep:
    My entire extended family have been to oxbridge. Just go with the flow - you are a different person don't model yourself on your family. I know I couldn't cope with the pressure of oxbridge and so I'm going to a good but not 'amazing' uni. I am much happier that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by santeria)
    My entire extended family have been to oxbridge. Just go with the flow - you are a different person don't model yourself on your family. I know I couldn't cope with the pressure of oxbridge and so I'm going to a good but not 'amazing' uni. I am much happier that way.
    I totally agree with you, i was told i could get the 3 A's at the start of sixth form, but it would require alot of work.

Now i still worked hard but not oxbridge hard, aiming for ACC or something similar (Maths, Physics, Chemistry).

But i would much rather have a good time at sixth form than just work solidly with not much of a social life (if any after working weekends too!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joe4wolves)
    If it's full of cocks like Halfwit off big brother id rather go elsewhere..
    :yes:

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't care. I have my own personal achievements I'm proud of - I had learning difficulties when I started school - the fact I achieved any GCSEs and have completed my A Level exams has made my family proud and it's made me proud too.

I see that as my biggest achievement of my entire life and I'm so happy.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't bother me either.
    I'm the first to go to uni or even study A Levels in my family, my grades are higher then needed for the course/instituion I'm going to, but it's somewhere I really want to be, and I'm really proud

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.