Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Multimedia Technology or Computing?

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I think it's less about the career prospects and more about which you'll do best in/enjoy more. Couldn't think of anything worse than doing a course I hated for 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    computing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellokte)
    Personally, I think it's less about the career prospects and more about which you'll do best in/enjoy more. Couldn't think of anything worse than doing a course I hated for 3 years.
    Spot on, but out of the 2 - I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellokte)
    Really? but the course is only 3 years, while the career you get at the end of it is about 44 years. Even if you're not happy with the course, wouldn't you say that being happy with the career makes up for it?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    the course that you love best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    Really? but the course is only 3 years, while the career you get at the end of it is about 44 years. Even if you're not happy with the course, wouldn't you say that being happy with the career makes up for it?

but isnt a course you enjoy, more likely to lead to a career you'd enjoy, i mean their are circumstances and weak degrees where that is not the case but still..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james_dow)
    but isnt a course you enjoy, more likely to lead to a career you'd enjoy, i mean their are circumstances and weak degrees where that is not the case but still..
    Well yes, that may be the case - I'm all for doing a course you enjoy because it leads to a career you enjoy.

But when it comes to choosing between a course that you enjoy which is less likely to lead to a good career, and a course that you do not enjoy which is more likely to lead to a suitable career, then I'd personally go for the latter, just because the career lasts much longer than the course.

What I'm saying is that I would have thought people would be putting more importance on the career which comes after the course, rather than on the course itself. Long term benefits vs short term benefits etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james_dow)
    That's the point I was trying to make And besides, you could choose one course because of the career prospects and do really badly in it because perhaps you don't enjoy it...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.