Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically I've been invited to play in a tournament in holland in october and the entry needs to be in before i start uni. It will involve taking a thursday friday monday tuesday off uni (coz we need to go to newcastle to get the boat... no cheap flights )

I was really really up for going, international experience, have a good time etc. but i'll only have started a month at this point. Will the uni really frown apon me taking time off? Is there an official way to take time off? (I know its not like school...) Will i get really behind in work??

I already know i definitely need a week off in February for the Scottish Championships as well as odd friday afternoons to travel to competitions

Can someone give me some advice?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geog_Magz)
    Basically I've been invited to play in a tournament in holland in october and the entry needs to be in before i start uni. It will involve taking a thursday friday monday tuesday off uni (coz we need to go to newcastle to get the boat... no cheap flights )

I was really really up for going, international experience, have a good time etc. but i'll only have started a month at this point. Will the uni really frown apon me taking time off? Is there an official way to take time off? (I know its not like school...) Will i get really behind in work??

I already know i definitely need a week off in February for the Scottish Championships as well as odd friday afternoons to travel to competitions

Thanks
    No one gives a **** if you don't turn up for lectures. The only places attendaces are taken are tutorials and I am sure if you tell the person taking it or course coordinator in advance you should be fine. As for work sure you can make it up.

ReputationRep:
    No one will bat an eyelid. In my first year I would take a whole week off simply out of apathy or being on a bit of a bender.

Unless you're doing medicine or something similarly hardcore, it's certainly not like school. The university institutions are a support for you to do what you want to do - if you know what you're doing and can prove yourself, then they'll be perfectly content.

ReputationRep:
    out of interest, what are you / what do you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregamos)
    out of interest, what are you / what do you do?
    Curling. The best sport in the world

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    It's not as if your taking a month off or anything, and if it's international, the university may see it as looking good on their part- my boyfriend took about 4-5 weeks off school during his A2 year and even though the head of year wasn't exactly happy with it, but it got the school publicity and it was for a good cause not just a holiday

ReputationRep:
    Curling. The best sport in the world
    Just take the time out to go into Sheddocksley on Lang Stracht. On second thoughts, don't.

ReputationRep:
    As has been said the only compulsory elements are tutorials and labs if you are doing science. Otherwise it will be fine.
    You may have essay/coursework deadlines but you will just need to have your stuff done and handed in before hand.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.