Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pre-reading before uni, or just leave it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering, I'm due to start my course in September but I've no idea whether to start reading up on it or not.

I had a browse of my University website but there are no reading lists for my degree. I'm just concerned that I'll turn up and be the only one without a clue, especially seeing as I didn't study it at A-level and I've been on a gap year so I'm not really 'in-gear' with study right now...

Is anybody else like this? Should I start reading?

ReputationRep:
    Well if they haven't told you to read anything, then you're not expected to.

Enjoy what's left of your summer

ReputationRep:
    I'd leave it, there's ALWAYS time to catch up if you plan your time right once you get there

ReputationRep:
    It's up to you. I've never studied sociology before so I contacted my Uni a few months ago asking for a reading list. I've bought a couple of the books and I'm reading them this summer so I don't feel like a dumbass next month when I don't know anything

ReputationRep:
    as demo says it you haven't been told to do any reading, then enjoy the free time you have left, without all the readings

most uni try and spend the first few weeks bring everyone up to the same level, these always a little background on wiki

ReputationRep:
    If you want to get ahead but any pre-reading you're gonna do will be much less efficient than uni so you may find that three weeks of solid work is covered in a couple of lectures.

There will be time for that when you start, unless you are taking a subject with tests etc in the first week but thats normally maths related tests. When I started they eased us in gently and there was plenty of time for general reading around the subject. If they haven't asked you to do anything then just enjoy the free time.

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking out for any newspaper articles that relate to my course and reading them but haven't bought any books or anything.

Partly because I don't know my results yet so buying something for uni and then not getting in would really suck.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone

ReputationRep:
    LEAVE IT!!! honestly all the neeks that are pre-reading to be honest they haven't got anything better to do!! unless you havent got anything else to do but last summer i was working didn't even pick up a book and i got a good grade ...and there are others like that enjoy your self ...always remember the saying 'theres a time for work and theres a time for play' i para-phrased that lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spleeny)
    I've been looking out for any newspaper articles that relate to my course and reading them but haven't bought any books or anything.

Partly because I don't know my results yet so buying something for uni and then not getting in would really suck.
    I had that issue last year but because I took a gap year I have an unconditional. I'm definitely going, I just don't want to be clueless :rofl:. The newspaper thing sounds like a good idea, I'll give that a go - I won't buy text books and confuse myself :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I've just bought a book which i've been told is the book i will most definitely need so i'm going to start reading that before Sept so i'm a bit more clued up.

ReputationRep:
    You may as well pre-read but at the risk of finding stuff you've already read about repeated in early lectures as there is no expectation that you read anything.(wider reading and finding things out for yourself is a good idea)

ReputationRep:
    I contacted my firm and was told not to bother as the reading list may change anyway. I've carried on reading background stuff on my area of interest just coz I'm interested in the subject.

ReputationRep:
    I just found this:

http://www.readinglists.co.uk/rsl/student/index.dfp

That's quite handy :ninja:.

I won't buy any books though, I'll have self restraint

ReputationRep:
    I'd contact them and ask, there's absolutely nothing wrong with getting ahead a bit.

ReputationRep:
    I'm reading a couple of economics books just to give me some background as I've never studied it before. But if they haven't asked you to you don't need to

ReputationRep:
    Leave it. I found a huge reading list for my course, and took it upon myself to try and buy all of the books and read them. Ended up buying half (costing over £100) and I only ever used one of them for my course. Just wait until you get to uni :p:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If you've not been instructed to, then don't bother. Simply enjoy your holidays while they last. If you're doing a course like politics or economics, you could keep abreast with current affairs or read The Economist or The FT as that doesn't necessarily constitute academic study, but really that's the most you should be looking to do.

ReputationRep:
    I would leave it until you are there and have a better idea of what the course is like.
    Half the books on my reading lists on the website, I didn't look at once during my first year.
    This summer i'm planning on doing a little pre reading because one of my modules is almost identical to one I did last year, philosophy it's just greek instead of roman. However that's because I Know how the module is run and which exact books I need to read. Depending on your subject alot of the time you don't need to do much reading only specific stuff for certain issues in essays etc.

Wait til you get there . Don't waste the rest of your freetime now on things that might not even be relevant

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.