Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone. Just looking for people's opinions on something...

I have just bought my second car, a 2008 Ford Focus but the salesman was really being pushy in trying to get my to buy gap insurance. Now I understand what gap insurance is, but is it important? The amount of money it costs seems a lot for 'just in case someone writes it off'...? And I didn't get it with my first car which was bought for me by a family member.

Now, he wasn't quite so pushy with the other products he was trying to sell me (e.g. the protective paint, the payment protection insurance etc.) so I'm wondering if it is important that I get this gap insurance thing?

Help much appreciated.

could be worth it, but it depends how much the car is worth compared to the insurance premium

ReputationRep:
    Gap insurance is generally a good idea PROVIDING you are financing the car, rather than buying it outright, but don't buy it from the dealer, it's overpriced.

It basically means if you get the car written off you will get back all the money you owe on finance, rather than just what the insurance company deems the value of the car to be.

This is VERY good considering you might be paying, say £7k on finance, but if you write it off in a years time the insurance offer may be like, £5k, when you still owe more than that on finance. It prevents you from being in negative equity.

ReputationRep:
    Unless on finance, I wouldn't bother. If you buy it outright and it's not financed on a loan, then you can't be in negative equity. Therefore, if it gets written off, the insurance company will (after pestering them) give you a fair price and you can simply replace like-for-like. Pointless unless on a HP Agreement, in my view.

ReputationRep:
    I would get it with that car. It's a Focus so it'll depreciate like a stone.

ReputationRep:
    My car is on finance but I didn't bother with gap insurance. As said don't buy from the dealer if you do get it, you can get much cheaper elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    OK thanks guys, I won't bother then. I spoke to my uncle who said they were probably being especially pushy about this as they make a ton of money on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lell)
    OK thanks guys, I won't bother then. I spoke to my uncle who said they were probably being especially pushy about this as they make a ton of money on it.
    They are commissioned on it like everything. I would say it's more important than the sureguard (expensive wax) they offer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.