Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i want to eat healthier and alot of recipes contain veg but veg goes off really quickly so if your only cooking for yourself, how do you work around this?
    like in some recipes you might need one spring onion but they are sold in packs of a few and your no expert cook so you dont know what other recipes contain spring onions.
    do you make a big family sized pot and freeze it?

ReputationRep:
    Aye you can easily freeze things. Although, I tend to keep most veg in the fridge and it lasts until I use it all up (I tend to just buy veg that I can use in a number of dishes though). I do have to throw things away every now and then, but it's dirt cheap from the greengrocers so it's no big deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boredyay)
    do you make a big family sized pot and freeze it?
    I was going to suggest but then I read you already had :p:

Another idea is to go to local farm shop or market as they usually sell stuff in the quantities you want rather than pre-packaged.

ReputationRep:
    Fridge it, I leave veg in the fridge for ages and it's fine

ReputationRep:
    A lot of veg keeps for a surprisingly long time, actually. I go by how it looks, not by the sell by date (they're always made very conservatively, just in case someone tries to sue the company selling it).

I make large amounts then freeze the rest, or if I'm having vegetables separately then I'll just use whatever looks like it needs using up first. I wouldn't worry about not using up veg quickly enough or not knowing enough recipes - the veg in pretty much any dish can be substituted for others. A lot of veg you don't have to put in a dish anyway, you can just cook it separately and have it on the side with your protein and carbs.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously you put veg in the fridge, too. Apart from onions, and some root veg - that would just seem odd to me for some reason! Like someone else said, buy veg from a greengrocers or market if you can.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be afraid to improvise. Put all the spring onions in, as long as they're going to be cooked, a load of raw spring onions could be a bit much.

Or bulk cook/freeze. I used to do that constantly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyFrisbeeFan)
    A lot of veg keeps for a surprisingly long time, actually. I go by how it looks, not by the sell by date (they're always made very conservatively, just in case someone tries to sue the company selling it).

I make large amounts then freeze the rest, or if I'm having vegetables separately then I'll just use whatever looks like it needs using up first. I wouldn't worry about not using up veg quickly enough or not knowing enough recipes - the veg in pretty much any dish can be substituted for others. A lot of veg you don't have to put in a dish anyway, you can just cook it separately and have it on the side with your protein and carbs.
    This.

Frozen mixed veg is great for using in stir-fry or casserole/stew, and you can just use as much as you want. I do that a lot.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.