Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Private school applicants have better chance of getting into medical school Watch

ReputationRep:
    see, the argument against this is why not give your kids the best chance you can.

which seems to carry more sense but less conviction than 'i'm not paying, do it yourself'.

also, if they miss out, then you can feel like you screwed it up for them ever after.

personally, i wouldnt send my children to public school. it sounds like a **** life, being pushed into doing whats good for the schools results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)
    see, the argument against this is why not give your kids the best chance you can.

which seems to carry more sense but less conviction than 'i'm not paying, do it yourself'.

also, if they miss out, then you can feel like you screwed it up for them ever after.

personally, i wouldnt send my children to public school. it sounds like a **** life, being pushed into doing whats good for the schools results.

Humm either im gonna sound like a right moron or your who i think you are.

y'arite macca??

ReputationRep:
    why 'allo there, macca!

goodnes i ave not 'eard from you for some time.

'ow are you?

ReputationRep:
    ahhhh, but would you send your children to public school, No Function?
    You talking to me? Quotage helps :-)

And rudeness, much?

Public school = private school = yes I would if I have children and can afford the fees/live nearby.

Failing that, then the best grammar/state school in the area if poss.

School makes a huge difference

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    This.

It's not because the applicant themselves is a better person. But if you go to a private school you are going to be pushed into extra curriculum activities, position of responsibilities, and other things that will plump out any medical school application. At a private school if you express a desire to do medicine you will get a lot of help to do this, from UKCAT & BMAT help to personal statement help and interview techniques and gaining work experience.

Compare this to my college for example, who when I told them I wanted to do medicine in October said "great good luck with that", refuse to even look over my personal statement, don't have a sports team I can join and my tutor asked me "so which entrance exam looks better then, the UKCAT or the BMAT? Because you want to do the most reputable".

But this does not mean it's not possible -- if you want it enough you will get there regardless of where you are coming from. It's just that we're at disadvantage.
    Well no indeed. Going to private school cleary does not make you a better person.

I think it is important not to overestimate the help that students at private schools get and not to underestimate the importance of the efforts of the student themselves. At my school (private) there was certainly nobody encouraging you to do extracurriculars and all the other stuff. Facilities for some things were there, but you really had to want to do it yourself and put the effort in. And no we did not get help with UKCAT/BMAT. The sports teams were for talented sportspeople and therefore I was excluded from the elite. My form tutor did read my PS for me. However concerning the rest, it was my own efforts OUTSIDE OF SCHOOL to do some extracurriculars, go on courses, read, research, talk to people, get work experience, get jobs, find things out etc. You need to be proactive whatever school you go to.

ReputationRep:
    lol you certainly arent the same No function from NMM, i just realised. nothing like her.

i dont know you!

ReputationRep:
    lol you certainly arent the same No function from NMM, i just realised. nothing like her.

i dont know you!
    Gizmo, you fool. I am the same person. :facepalm:

Why do you think I am someone else? Am I that elitist now? LOL

ReputationRep:
    NO WAY¬!

you dont mind me calling you No Function over there....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)
    Parents spend monies to buy you a better education, and then shock horror, you get a better education?

Where is the news here?

Surely the point of sending your kids to a private school is to improve their odds against everyone elses kids no?
    Pretty much this.

ReputationRep:
    NO WAY¬!

you dont mind me calling you No Function over there....
    Last time we spoke I was a premed I think. So going to med school has apparently changed me, LOL!

Please quote me macca. I can't read your replies easily otherwise.

How's you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Last time we spoke I was a premed I think. So going to med school has apparently changed me, LOL!

Please quote me macca. I can't read your replies easily otherwise.

How's you?
    functionz, i am ..functioning hehe

i am in the midlandz these days hehe. are you enjoying 'all life?

ReputationRep:
    functionz, i am ..functioning hehe

i am in the midlandz these days hehe. are you enjoying 'all life?
    Glad to hear it. So you're qualified?

What are you doing in the midlands?

I guess you could say so! Are you?

ReputationRep:
    i love 'alls. i 'ave been busy perfecting the art of nicking stationary of ma posh skool neighbours.

midlands is ma university location, i'm only alf way thru, macca.
    i'm glad our degrees are longer than others.

ReputationRep:
    i love 'alls. i 'ave been busy perfecting the art of nicking stationary of ma posh skool neighbours.

midlands is ma university location, i'm only alf way thru, macca.
    i'm glad our degrees are longer than others.
    Oh, for some reason I thought you studied at Barts?? :s why did I think that?

ReputationRep:
    cos brats rox

ReputationRep:
    This thread is not for chatting in - please take it to PMs so this thread can stay on topic, thankyou

ReputationRep:
    sorri, macca, sorri.

ow are you today, Hygey? i 'ope all is ok, me big pal.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.