Turn on thread page Beta

Has the purpose of university become diluted? watch

• View Poll Results: Has the purpose of University become diluted?
    Yes, University doesn't mean anything anymore
    16.67%
    Maybe
    30.00%
    No, it is an important part of university
    36.67%
    Don't know / care / lol
    16.67%

ReputationRep:
    See poll.

I'm really dreading my second year of university. Not because of the course or the work, but because I hate having to live / talk / interact with people other than my parents.

Surely the purpose of University is for attainment of educational excellence, not to have a jolly with your friends? I really think that the social element of it has completely overshadowed the real purpose of University.

ReputationRep:
    Trolltally agree with you.

ReputationRep:
    This could of been a good thread too.

ReputationRep:
    You hate to interact with people other than your parents? That's a bit sad...

ReputationRep:
    I personally see university as having a dual role - as an educational process first and foremost, of course, but also in most cases a way to build independence from a family and make your own way. Of course this doesn't apply if you don't go away to uni, but that's just my two small American coins.

ReputationRep:
    i dont really care to be honest

i just think go there if you want to and dont go there if you dont want to

i want to go but, as im a bit of a geek, im more for the qualification ill gain out of it and the education side as opposed to the social life

but i do still want some social life...just not clubs :p: i dont like them much and ive been to a few and they get boring

my favourite is bowling :p:

ReputationRep:
    Obvious troll is obvious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    University is what you make of it. Personally, I think the social side compliments the educational side, not overshadows it.
    Ditto. I'm too lazy to write my own version

ReputationRep:
    Agree, theres no point sending 50% of the country to university - its unfair mainly on the students that are being ripped off by rubbish cources. I, personally, have no problem with it.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Haeron)
    I personally see university as having a dual role - as an educational process first and foremost, of course, but also in most cases a way to build independence from a family and make your own way. Of course this doesn't apply if you don't go away to uni, but that's just my two small American coins.
    :ditto:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.