Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Got mine today and I love it

How do you close applications? As in, the equivalent of force-quitting on Mac. Just to stop it from using any battery that it shouldn't be thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _MaLc_)
    How do you close applications?
    Just press the only button you have underneath the screen, should bring you back to the main menu/"desktop", and that's it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamitri)
    Just press the only button you have underneath the screen, should bring you back to the main menu/"desktop", and that's it.
    Does that fully close the App? That's what I've been doing (obviously) and I just thought that was the equivalence of just 'closing' a window on a Mac therefore not actually shutting down the program. I'm very impressed if that's true

ReputationRep:
    Does that fully close the App? That's what I've been doing (obviously) and I just thought that was the equivalence of just 'closing' a window on a Mac therefore not actually shutting down the program. I'm very impressed if that's true
    Apple said that allowing programs to run in the background would reduce battery life too much so I think I'm right in saying that when you do go back to the menu the program closes itself... (Tho you seem to get impressed quite easily )

ReputationRep:
    Does that fully close the App?
    TBH I've got the 3G, not the 3GS, but from what I know the OS is basically the same - and yeah, it seems to be the only option, as iPhones do not support multitasking, so you need to quit one app to be allowed to launch another. Listening to music and having iPod "withheld" in the memory and e.g. writing a text message at the same time seems to be the only exception.

ReputationRep:
    Pressing the button fully closes the app - this is certain.

ReputationRep:
    u need to hold down the top button for 3 seconds to close the app otherwise it runs in the background DUH

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for clearing that up guys

Most appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by partysunil)
    u need to hold down the top button
    what "top" button are you talking about? :confused:

or have you just been using your iPhone upside-down all the time? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Not sure what hes on about but can just use the circular button hold it down or even just click it and the app will close completely.

ReputationRep:

sorry i mean the circle button at the centre of the lower of the machine

ReputationRep:

it's different on mine as I have the jphone (chinese imitation) i just looked at a picture of the iphone online

ReputationRep:
    iPod is the only app the will run in the background. Well, that's not strictly true because on jailbroked iphones you can see all background apps and SMS and EMAIL run in the back. SMS you can switch off for jailbroken iphones but you will still receive texts as and when they come. If you switch off email then you won't get the email until you turn it back on, even if it's pushed.

Download FreeMemory from the AppStore. It's free and free's up unused memory and all the background crap that isn't necessary and builds up over time; just like a real computer. Alternatively, do a hard reboot every couple of days. But FreeMemory takes seconds instead of minutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I love your sigs. Very inspirational, I've been consecutively trying that stuff out in my kitchen for the last couple of week or so.

I'm being serious here. Just sayin', but thanks and keep 'em comin'. :coma:

ReputationRep:
    I love your sigs. Very inspirational, I've been consecutively trying that stuff out in my kitchen for the last couple of week or so.

I'm being serious here. Just sayin', but thanks and keep 'em comin'. :coma:
    :top:

ReputationRep:
    Just pressing the home button will quit the app. Trust me, as an iPhone developer that's a pain, since when the home button is pressed, the app is quitting and there's nothing you can do about it. If the app refuses to quit the phone will kill it after around 15-20 seconds.

What you're thinking about is OS X rather than the iPhone OS. On OS X, just closing the window won't necessarily quit the app. That's not the case on the iPhone OS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bucky!)
    Just pressing the home button will quit the app. Trust me, as an iPhone developer that's a pain, since when the home button is pressed, the app is quitting and there's nothing you can do about it. If the app refuses to quit the phone will kill it after around 15-20 seconds.

What you're thinking about is OS X rather than the iPhone OS. On OS X, just closing the window won't necessarily quit the app. That's not the case on the iPhone OS

Exactly the answer I was looking for, dude. Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    Hey i have an Iphone 3G s and iv worked out how to close apps, as u normally just press the only button ur screen it will still display if you double click the same button, to apparently close these apps but this only multi tasks the Iphone but it is simple. All you kneed to do is when u click the button twice it will bring up your multitasking bar hold ur finger over 1 app, they should start jiggling with a red circle and a ile through it press the red circle then it will close the app just repeatedly do that for every app ur not using. Its just like ur home screen whilst holding 1 app they all jiggle you can move things round the page and delete if not wanted. hope this help's.:woo: :eek3: :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Double tap the home button and it will bring up the apps that are running in the background, then touch the app, for a second or two.
    It will shake, with a red minus above it.
    Touch that to close the app.

ReputationRep:
    For most apps, clicking the home button once will close it, but with some apps, some processes can continue running in the background. Shouldn't really matter, but if you want to be 100% sure that an app has closed, double click the home button and hold your finger on the app that you want to close. They'll start to wobble and a red minus will appear above it. Click the red minus button to fully close it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 3, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.