Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Buying a bike - Advice Needed!!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rubles)
    A mountain bike sounds good because I fancy the suspension and I like fatter tires.
    Absolutely pointless, both features that help you cover rough ground actually make it HARDER to cover well made paths/roads. If all you're going to use it on is roads, the simpler and more reliable the better, and while we're at it, no you don't need disc brakes either.

Umm right, probably looking at £150 absolute maximum because I'm strapped for cash.
    Cycle theft is a huge problem, especially among students (often committed by other students). There is no point spending lots of money on a decent bike because unless you've got seriously good security it will be stolen and/or stripped down.

Again you want something cheap and reliable. Chances are that you're not going to be living far from university anyway so there is little (if any) point getting something which is especially light and/or fast. Also, £150? You get what you pay for and you're not going to get a 'good' bike for that price anyway.

If you've taken in what I've said, wait until you get to uni and pick up one of the basic, cheap, bikes advertised (often by a graduating student).

ReputationRep:
    lol that's pretty bad but i'm just quoting what i was told when i turned up for freshers week in edinburgh a few years back. i'd imagine it's down a bit now because there's lots of big bike shelters that you need to swipe your matriculation card to even get into.

though i chained my bike up at uni last year with a proper heavy duty chain and then came back at the end of the day and somebody had stolen everything bar the frame....and during broad daylight as well!

needless to say i was pretty gutted.

ReputationRep:
    savage... hopefully I'll be alright where I'm staying. I'm really getting into my road cycling. Wouldn't be good for my £500 bike to get nicked! (and that's cheap for a road bike).

ReputationRep:
    Umm right, probably looking at £150 absolute maximum because I'm strapped for cash.

A mountain bike sounds good because I fancy the suspension and I like fatter tires. I can live with a cheapish bike because I'm not really going to be after crazy performance. As long as it can go as fast as I can, and is pretty solid to ride (good suspension, tires that cope with most conditions, easy to maintain) then I'm happy!
    :lolwut:

Buy a road bike... Please... I implore you. Or at least a hybrid.

Fat tyres = more resistance = harder work.
    Suspension = waste of money.

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't even buy a new bike. You won't be able to get a good one for that price anyway, and anything that looks shiny and new will just get stolen. Buy a < £50 banger road bike - it will do the job, is cheap and won't get stolen. And it's a road bike, so it will be quicker than any of these ridiculous things people ride around the streets on with tyres which look like they've been taken straight off a monster truck.

ReputationRep:
    gumtree.com ftw.

ReputationRep:
    Id say just get a decent hybrid for 300-400, a good lock and insure it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.