Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It's a long and unlikely shot considering this is a UK-based forum, but does anyone work or know of anyone who works in finance in an EM/BRIC?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TOTB)
    It's a long and unlikely shot considering this is a UK-based forum, but does anyone work or know of anyone who works in finance in an EM/BRIC?
    I am currently interning at a PE shop in an Eastern European country, so Im not a source for jobs but if you have any questions about what its like working here than pm me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TOTB)
    Get intouch with Prince of Zamuda or read his blog - I believe he's interning in Nigeria at present (which I know isn't strictly EM), but he may be of use!

ReputationRep:
    I am currently based in a US IB in South Africa for the last year. Most of the people in this office are from the London/NY. Our office is simply an 'extension' of the London branch (Salary is the same except its adjusted for living expenses as its lower in SA) but the bonus is exactly the same (i.e. comes from the same pool).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by texex)
    I am currently interning at a PE shop in an Eastern European country, so Im not a source for jobs but if you have any questions about what its like working here than pm me.
    Hi mate, just curious as to why you are interning in EE? Is it to get a feel for the culture/experience or is it somewhere you want to work post-graduation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PortfolioManager)
    I am currently based in a US IB in South Africa for the last year. Most of the people in this office are from the London/NY. Our office is simply an 'extension' of the London branch (Salary is the same except its adjusted for living expenses as its lower in SA) but the bonus is exactly the same (i.e. comes from the same pool).
    Hi,

Any reason why you're working in South Africa in particular? Is it common for grads in South Africa or on the African continent to enter IB where you're working right now? Or is the office full of grads from NY/London?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince of Zamunda)
    What kind of information are you looking for exactly?
    Hi,

Just curious as to why you're interning in an EM? Personally, I'm thinking of working in an EM in the long-term future, but I'm wondering if it's better if I work in the UK for a few years and then transfer or start afresh in another country post-graduation?

ReputationRep:
    if you working in an international reputable bank, you will always have opportunities to move around. I think its great to get experience and exposure in a variety of countries and if you are good you will always get opportunities to move around. Some of the best MDs are those who have worked in various offices and have achieved broad experience. Because of the current crisis, many people are actually moving away from London to work in other countries to grab other opportunities.

ReputationRep:
    if you working in an international reputable bank, you will always have opportunities to move around. I think its great to get experience and exposure in a variety of countries and if you are good you will always get opportunities to move around. Some of the best MDs are those who have worked in various offices and have achieved broad experience. Because of the current crisis, many people are actually moving away from London to work in other countries to grab other opportunities.
    Cheers for that. Do you reckon a lot of banking roles will be outsourced to places like India and China in the next 10-20 years? Pretty much every other white-collar job looks unsafe to me if you look at the bigger picture...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TOTB)
    Cheers for that. Do you reckon a lot of banking roles will be outsourced to places like India and China in the next 10-20 years?
    Yes. It makes perfect sense. Most of our excel work is done out of India, and truth be told it's ******* awesome.

If these guys learn flawless English, you might as well give up now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
    Yes. It makes perfect sense. Most of our excel work is done out of India, and truth be told it's ******* awesome.

hey when you guys at UBS do trading comps or something do you have to go through each company's financial statements or broker reports to make sure that the figures are correct or is that a problem that just exists with our thomson excel addin because we're a small noname firm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)

tbh, from a management's perspective, it makes perfect sense. Sucks to be us, though.

I have Indian roots and property in India (well, my parents do :p: ) and I'm thinking of moving there on a permanent basis. I don't know if it's better working in the UK first and then transferring, or simply moving to India after graduation and get a job there. Problems, problems...

This is just IMO, but I have a feeling that many corporations are using mass layoffs in this recession as an easy way to outsource thousands of jobs to India and China.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teenage Pirate)
    hey when you guys at UBS do trading comps or something do you have to go through each company's financial statements or broker reports to make sure that the figures are correct or is that a problem that just exists with our thomson excel addin because we're a small noname firm?
    You must check the numbers from datastream. It might not pick up stuff like restating of the previous years' accounts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TOTB)
    Cheers for that. Do you reckon a lot of banking roles will be outsourced to places like India and China in the next 10-20 years? Pretty much every other white-collar job looks unsafe to me if you look at the bigger picture...
    Monkey work - yes
    Client based activities - no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teenage Pirate)
    No comps in M&A.

We usually use company's reports rather than thompson/factset. Broker reports (ibes) are used predominantly for projections/estimates.

ReputationRep:
    I/B/E/S consensus estimates which is used by Factset, Datastream, etc. is ussually accurate except for EBITDAs where you might need to make further adjustments (i.e. go to the notes). Historicals are ussually done manually (i.e. getting the ARs, quarterlys/semis for the latest balance sheet info) but forecasts you can just use Datastream/Factset. Factset is good as it provides detailed analysis of how they got to the consensus number (i.e. you can select which brokers you want in your consensus forecasts).

ReputationRep:
    I/B/E/S consensus estimates which is used by Factset, Datastream, etc. is ussually accurate except for EBITDAs where you might need to make further adjustments (i.e. go to the notes). Historicals are ussually done manually (i.e. getting the ARs, quarterlys/semis for the latest balance sheet info) but forecasts you can just use Datastream/Factset. Factset is good as it provides detailed analysis of how they got to the consensus number (i.e. you can select which brokers you want in your consensus forecasts).
    to be honest I'm usually just using broker reports to check the prev. year's figures so I can quickly see if the forecasts are ballpark as well (which as you said they usually are). also im guessing broker reports will include any restatements whereas the annual report won't.

yeah but thanks to everyone who responded, i just wanted to make sure it was something everyone had to do not just our firm because we are too cheap or something :P

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.