Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think that women (even British women who are raised on progressive Western cultures in which they have been supposedly 'emancipated') are underrepresnted in certain professions?

I can see why you are unlikely to have midhusbands but I can't see how areas where women are underrepresented such as in the technology sector, investment banking, engineering and construction are particularly 'male' professions.

Do you think more attitudes need to change in mixed-sex schools? Do women need to be encouraged to be more competitive? Remember that females outperform males in further and higher education? Do you think they do not do sufficient extra-curricular activities though?

Could part of the problem be that stereotypically 'female' interests as outlined in the Female section of the Daily Heil are generally seen as 'ditzy' and irrelevant?

The following article has investment banking as the no.1 career destination for males (in this survey) but no.10 for females!?!

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle3845810.ece

What do you reckon?

squish.

ReputationRep:
    It's because some things simply don't interest women.

Don't see how that's not obvious?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... well, speaking from what I've seen and what I understand to be the case, history can dictate the future. It's a sad but entirely present truth of the earth's society.

At the same time, I see much less of a problem than women used to have years back. I'm not really a feminist, to be honest, but I tell it like I see it, and that's how I see it.

ReputationRep:
    It just so happens you get more career men than women. Why? Social reasons etc.

ReputationRep:
    Well, some careers such as investment banking are very competitive and cutthroat, which more women than men will dislike due to men being naturally more competitive (testosterone etc.). Those types of careers also have a very "male" focus outside the office, whereby the high flyers will go drinking in bars/strip clubs after work and continue to conduct business and forge connections, and this could exclude women because they might not feel comfortable or welcome in those situations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xps.systems)
    I can see why you are unlikely to have midhusbands but I can't see how areas where women are underrepresented such as in the technology sector, investment banking, engineering and construction are particularly 'male' professions.
    Random fact of the day:

You are indeed very unlikely to have midhusbands, as that would require a man to give birth. The 'wife' part of midwife refers to the person giving birth.

ReputationRep:
    To expand on what Psyk just said, a male midwife is still called a midwife.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AP123)
    It just so happens you get more career men than women. Why? Social reasons etc.
    But this is the UK in the 21st century? What social pressures are preventing women from leading healthy careers - remember not all women have chidlren and there is the opportunity for a surrogate mother too. Also, more women are graduating with good degress (1st and 2:1) than men, although I don't have stats on employment during university etc.

squish.

ReputationRep:
    you just know that any post addressed to "female people" rather than ladies, women or girls is going to be some poncy political thread lol.

ReputationRep:
    No female goldfish?

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be naive to completely dismiss the idea that it could be because women naturally tend not to be interested in that sort of career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chris king)
    It's because some things simply don't interest women.

Don't see how that's not obvious?
    Don't you think it's quite politically incorrect to say something like that?

Would you be prepared to disclose what these things are that 'don't interest female people'?

Remember that in 1770 virtually nobody in India really cared about cricket but fast-forward to 1970 and suddenly people were crazy about it.

Maybe a sector like technology needs to be publicized to women in a similar way so that they go crazy about computers?

squish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I think it would be naive to completely dismiss the idea that it could be because women naturally tend not to be interested in that sort of career.
    what sort of career?

interestingly the tech and finance socs at university seem to be very very male dominated too!

squish.

ReputationRep:
    what sort of career?

interestingly the tech and finance socs at university seem to be very very male dominated too!

squish.
    xps.

Yalla lets go out.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you think it's quite politically incorrect to say something like that?

Would you be prepared to disclose what these things are that 'don't interest female people'?

Remember that in 1770 virtually nobody in India really cared about cricket but fast-forward to 1970 and suddenly people were crazy about it.

Maybe a sector like technology needs to be publicized to women in a similar way so that they go crazy about computers?

squish.
    And because it's politically incorrect it's not true?

To the contrary.

Why is it then that technology doesn't need to be publicized to men for them to be interested?

Women and men are interested in different things, fact. Obviously there are some who break the mould, but for the vast majority this is true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    xps.

Yalla lets go out.
    you need a slap holly >_<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haydoncrewduk)
    you just know that any post addressed to "female people" rather than ladies, women or girls is going to be some poncy political thread lol.
    Haha i was just about to say that "Female People" :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    you need a slap holly >_<
    Don't interfere! This is between me and xps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chris king)
    And because it's politically incorrect it's not true?

To the contrary.

Why is it then that technology doesn't need to be publicized to men for them to be interested?

Women and men are interested in different things, fact. Obviously there are some who break the mould, but for the vast majority this is true.
    I reckon alot of women are interested in technology and then are deterred by people perpetrating this stereotype that technical folks are 'geeky' and 'uncool' and 'not shexy'.

Can you remember the hostility that was faced by Gail Trimble who is an intelligent woman whilst men of similar intelligence have not been maligned as much?

Also, technology is possibly the only sector (bar maybe modelling) where the gender pay gap is in favour of women (by 1%).

squish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Don't interfere! This is between me and xps.
    HA! I would love it if you did this for real

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.