Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xps.systems)
    what sort of career?
    I just meant male dominated careers in general. I mean it seems obvious that men are naturally less likely to want to go into a career in child care, so how do we know that the same isn't true of women for some careers?

ReputationRep:
    I reckon alot of women are interested in technology and then are deterred by people perpetrating this stereotype that technical folks are 'geeky' and 'uncool' and 'not shexy'.

Can you remember the hostility that was faced by Gail Trimble who is an intelligent woman whilst men of similar intelligence have not been maligned as much?

Also, technology is possibly the only sector (bar maybe modelling) where the gender pay gap is in favour of women (by 1%).

squish.
    Are you IGNORING ME!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    xps.

Yalla lets go out.
    Do you think women are 'steered' away from technical and engineering careers by the expectations of having children before 30 (for example) or because such careers are viewed as 'unwomanly'?

Also, is 'Yalla' an Arabic colloquial term?

squish.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think women are 'steered' away from technical and engineering careers by the expectations of having children before 30 (for example) or because such careers are viewed as 'unwomanly'?

Also, is 'Yalla' an Arabic colloquial term?

squish.
    I think it's more the 'unwomanly' aspect.

No it's not, it's standard and grammatically correct Arabic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I just meant male dominated careers in general. I mean it seems obvious that men are naturally less likely to want to go into a career in child care, so how do we know that the same isn't true of women for some careers?
    In the grand scheme of human evolution, technology, investment banking and engineering are very new compared to childcare.

Numerous generations have 'preferred' the woman to be the homemaker' and person who raises young children - but I can't see what is particularly endearing (specifically to males as opposed to females) about engineering, investment banking and technology.

squish.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's more the 'unwomanly' aspect.

No it's not, it's standard and grammatically correct Arabic.
    Why would someone consider it unwomanly? How would say, trading and investment management be 'unwomanly' - is it because traditionally men have been overrepresented there? Surely in the same way law and teaching (which were once very male-dominated) would be deemed unwomanly?

Btw, does 'Yalla' mean 'come here'? I heard it in a computer game called 'Medieval II Total War'- if you click on the army of an Islamic faction, sometimes the phrase: 'Yalla, my Sultan wishes you dead!' will be heard.

squish.

ReputationRep:
    what sort of career?

interestingly the tech and finance socs at university seem to be very very male dominated too!

squish.
    Well, the men who work "in the city" tend to go to fancy bars after work and binge drink. That's where a lot of business deals and connections are made, but they're not very female-friendly environments unless you want to be harassed by rowdy bankers.

ReputationRep:
    But this is the UK in the 21st century? What social pressures are preventing women from leading healthy careers - remember not all women have chidlren and there is the opportunity for a surrogate mother too. Also, more women are graduating with good degress (1st and 2:1) than men, although I don't have stats on employment during university etc.

squish.
    What social pressures?

Go to a store that sells children's toys, or look them up online. See how they're marketed; what colors are used, what sex the children portrayed on the box are, and what kind of toys they are - firetrucks, anything with 'tech' in the title, dolls, toy vacuums/stoves, etc.

It's about expectation, and the messages we're given all our lives that some things are for boys and some things are for girls. Getting past the idea that it's 'gay' to not like sports and that this is a bad thing, or that a woman may have a career, but her first priority should be the children she must eventually have if she's to not be a failure as a woman isn't as simple as realising that such attitudes are outdated.

ReputationRep:
    this is why, on open evenings, the college used to wheel me out!

i tick the equality box

ReputationRep:
    Why would someone consider it unwomanly? How would say, trading and investment management be 'unwomanly' - is it because traditionally men have been overrepresented there? Surely in the same way law and teaching (which were once very male-dominated) would be deemed unwomanly?

Btw, does 'Yalla' mean 'come here'? I heard it in a computer game called 'Medieval II Total War'- if you click on the army of an Islamic faction, sometimes the phrase: 'Yalla, my Sultan wishes you dead!' will be heard.

squish.
    No, it's more "Hurry up" tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe (ooo controversial) they genetically have different interests. Many men seem to be obsessed with making money, but I'd rather go into interesting research or technology, buying something for 10p and selling for 20p would NEVER interest me and the majority of females I know, even if it makes 2mil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    Well, the men who work "in the city" tend to go to fancy bars after work and binge drink. That's where a lot of business deals and connections are made, but they're not very female-friendly environments unless you want to be harassed by rowdy bankers.
    I've heard this argument but many of those men also have families. There's no reason why women couldn't go to those 'fancy bars' - I mean they are quite different from 'strip clubs'.

I agree that networking in those environments is important but I can't see what prevents a career-minded woman from doing that.

I was speaking with a senior recruiter not long ago and they commented on how the law firms had many women in them and law firm employees also go out to fancy bars etc with similar types of men so it still doesn't explain the lack of women in I-banking and elec engineering.

squish.

ReputationRep:
    I guess they're gettin squished out of certain professions. A woman's work is never done. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I've heard this argument but many of those men also have families. There's no reason why women couldn't go to those 'fancy bars' - I mean they are quite different from 'strip clubs'.

I agree that networking in those environments is important but I can't see what prevents a career-minded woman from doing that.

I was speaking with a senior recruiter not long ago and they commented on how the law firms had many women in them and law firm employees also go out to fancy bars etc with similar types of men so it still doesn't explain the lack of women in I-banking and elec engineering.

squish.
    Well, the men'll have drinking competitions (which, due to biology, the women will most likely lose), and what if they go to a strip club?

ReputationRep:
    I reckon alot of women are interested in technology and then are deterred by people perpetrating this stereotype that technical folks are 'geeky' and 'uncool' and 'not shexy'.

Can you remember the hostility that was faced by Gail Trimble who is an intelligent woman whilst men of similar intelligence have not been maligned as much?

Also, technology is possibly the only sector (bar maybe modelling) where the gender pay gap is in favour of women (by 1%).

squish.
    When people are genuinely interested in something they don't get put off by its image.

Gail Trimble got so much coverage because it was unheard of for anyone man or woman to be so good on university challenge.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's more "Hurry up" tbh.
    Which 'portal' do you want to 'go out to'? Is this a kind of online e-excursion?

Back on topique, why do you reckon women are severely underrepresented in certain industries? Is it a taboo to mention this?

squish.

ReputationRep:
    Mens brains are more analytical than womens, leading them into technology more.

Women generally have children and are responsible for the majority of childcare, banking is not conducive to this lifestyle.

ReputationRep:
    Cos women have kids..

You're an employer at, say, an investment bank and picking between A and B. They're both the same in every way, except A is male and B is female. Going by past judgement, you'd say that in the next 10 years, there is a pretty high chance that B will be off for a few months while she has a baby, and this may occur 2 or even 3 times = money down the drain. In contrast, A will offer 10 years of continuous service = no money down the drain (again, going by past judgement).

So you give the job to the male.

My theory anyway :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    Well, the men'll have drinking competitions (which, due to biology, the women will most likely lose), and what if they go to a strip club?
    But by that logic Christian/Muslim/teetotal men will not be able to progress very far up the hierarchy either. Women are much more fairly represented relative to the proportion of the general population which tey constitute (approx 51%) in law than in investment banking - the question is why?

squish.

ReputationRep:
    Which 'portal' do you want to 'go out to'? Is this a kind of online e-excursion?

Back on topique, why do you reckon women are severely underrepresented in certain industries? Is it a taboo to mention this?

squish.

No it's an irl excursion. You and me. But how tall are you? I only like boyz who are taller than me. Boys with big feet... :coma:

<_______________________________ _____________________________>

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.