Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Throwing in a few ideas:

Men have more social pressures to earn a lot of money and possibly status (whether it be to obtain more female interest/selection of a partner, or the "male breadwinner" role is still a strong part of their mentality). Therefore more men tend to go for jobs like banking (money) or for example politics (status).

Women tend to go for job satisfaction rather than being rich. A lot of women simply do not find jobs like banking etc. appealing. However, according to my medic friend, the no. of female doctors is slowly becoming more dominant, therefore it's not really a case of whether women can "handle" competitive jobs (they clearly can), but whether or not they will gain reward and satisfaction from the job is of higher importance.

Plus females can just marry somebody who earns more than them and they have their rewarding job + the money. Why compete with the high flying men, when you can just marry one?*

*Btw, this is a very blunt and simplified view, and I'm sure most females won't base their husbands on their salary. And I'm sure there are many bankers who are in it because they genuinely enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superfical space cadet)
    Mens brains are more analytical than womens, leading them into technology more.

Women generally have children and are responsible for the majority of childcare, banking is not conducive to this lifestyle.
    But what kind of high-profile career do you reckon really IS conducive to lifestyle where you decide to take the BULK of the responsibility for young children?

Probably not law/surgery/politics/sport/engineering - proj. management/investment banking etc.

What if a women who had a glitterin career tactically married a man who was more of a househusband and could therefore compete on a more balanced level with the career-minded men?

squish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    No it's an irl excursion. You and me. But how tall are you? I only like boyz who are taller than me. Boys with big feet... :coma:

<_______________________________ _____________________________>
    Haha...but is this a friendly thing or a daty thing - remember I haven't ever been on a date before.

Maybe someone else is using your profile - it seems weird to publicly request somebody to meet.

Why aren't you answering my questinos on the thread!?!

squish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xps.systems)
    Haha...but is this a friendly thing or a daty thing - remember I haven't ever been on a date before.

Maybe someone else is using your profile - it seems weird to publicly request somebody to meet.

Why aren't you answering my questinos on the thread!?!

squish.
    No one has stolen my account.

I didn't answer your questions on this thread because I want to be a writer, and subsequently I don't really care about female engineers.

Why didn't you answer MY questions? How tall are you? I need moar answers. MOAR!

ReputationRep:
    But what kind of high-profile career do you reckon really IS conducive to lifestyle where you decide to take the BULK of the responsibility for young children?

Probably not law/surgery/politics/sport/engineering - proj. management/investment banking etc.

What if a women who had a glitterin career tactically married a man who was more of a househusband and could therefore compete on a more balanced level with the career-minded men?

squish.
    That's why I'm talking in general terms, theres always going to be exceptions to the rule but the maternal instinct is what drives most women wether they know it or not.

ReputationRep:
    not an important point, but why say female people when you can say women

ReputationRep:
    No one has stolen my account.

I didn't answer your questions on this thread because I want to be a writer, and subsequently I don't really care about female engineers.

Why didn't you answer MY questions? How tall are you? I need moar answers. MOAR!
    I'm just going home from work now - I'll get back to you when I my taxi drops me off.

Do you think there is a fairer level of female representation in journalisme?

squish.

ReputationRep:
    I think there is something to the suggestion that mixed-sex schools propagate gender roles. In my all girls' school, most people did science subjects and most of my year ended up doing a science based or medicine degree. My English Literature class was made up of four people, whereas Chemistry had about fourteen. I think maybe in mixed-sex schools, there is more of a push for girls to do subjects that are perceived as 'feminine', and vice versa for males.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wootwootwoot)
    not an important point, but why say female people when you can say women
    well, because women are stricly over 18.

'female people' includes both women and girls.

squish.

ReputationRep:
    lulz bubbles you got rejected by xps >_<

ReputationRep:
    well, because women are stricly over 18.

'female people' includes both women and girls.

squish.
    just females then? female people just sounds like not something that should not be said.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just going home from work now - I'll get back to you when I my taxi drops me off.

Do you think there is a fairer level of female representation in journalisme?

squish.

Yes, with all the hundreds of magazines aimed for women, there's much more representation.

However, for serious news correspondents, it's still male dominated. I don't write for some ****** woman's magazine.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think that women (even British women who are raised on progressive Western cultures in which they have been supposedly 'emancipated') are underrepresnted in certain professions?

I can see why you are unlikely to have midhusbands but I can't see how areas where women are underrepresented such as in the technology sector, investment banking, engineering and construction are particularly 'male' professions.

Do you think more attitudes need to change in mixed-sex schools? Do women need to be encouraged to be more competitive? Remember that females outperform males in further and higher education? Do you think they do not do sufficient extra-curricular activities though?

Could part of the problem be that stereotypically 'female' interests as outlined in the Female section of the Daily Heil are generally seen as 'ditzy' and irrelevant?

The following article has investment banking as the no.1 career destination for males (in this survey) but no.10 for females!?!

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle3845810.ece

What do you reckon?

squish.
    Is that English?:p:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, with all the hundreds of magazines aimed for women, there's much more representation.

However, for serious news correspondents, it's still male dominated. I don't write for some ****** woman's magazine.
    What kind of areas are you interested in? Politics? The stalemate in Ramallah? Biotechnology? The Chinese economy?

Do you think that the Daily Heiil's FeMAIL makes a mockery out of women's 'tastes'?

squish.

ReputationRep:
    In order to become an investment banker, you have to be very obviously a completely horrible person - a trait typical of men. Women tend to be more subtle about the way they are completely horrible people.

EDIT: Also, it seems that xps.systems has FINALLY jettisoned his profile picture. Maybe there is a god.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    I think there is something to the suggestion that mixed-sex schools propagate gender roles. In my all girls' school, most people did science subjects and most of my year ended up doing a science based or medicine degree. My English Literature class was made up of four people, whereas Chemistry had about fourteen. I think maybe in mixed-sex schools, there is more of a push for girls to do subjects that are perceived as 'feminine', and vice versa for males.
    It's sad when you see female scientific talent gone down the drain because they bow into the societal pressure to take a backseat. My teacher (female) was a really good mathematician but she still went into teaching even though she got a 1st degree - her justification though was merely that she was a 'people person' even though most jobs nowadays require you to have good communication skills with people.

squish.

ReputationRep:
    It's because the male and female brain works differently and men tend to have a better aptitude with navigation and mechanical things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    In order to become an investment banker, you have to be very obviously a completely horrible person - a trait typical of men. Women tend to be more subtle about the way they are completely horrible people.
    I don't think you have to be a 'horrible' person to be an investment banker - this is just a stereotype from various films - there are many different 'functions' in the investment bank too - all the way from actual investment banking, advisory on mergers and trading etc. - the consensus among all these folks are that you have to be dedicated, have good concentration and be hardworking.

If you look at those last three traits I mentioned, apparently teenage girls tend to be better at those than teenage boys! But still there are more males who work at the big investment banks! Hmmm....

squish.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of areas are you interested in? Politics? The stalemate in Ramallah? Biotechnology? The Chinese economy?

Do you think that the Daily Heiil's FeMAIL makes a mockery out of women's 'tastes'?

squish.

FeMAIL is annoying, it just talks about HRT and bags, and they have this annoying anorexic fashion woman. I wouldn't say it was making a mockery though; many womens lives focus around their menopaus and their Prada magazine. It's a middle class newspaper aimed at middle class women. They show what people want to see, it's not a mockery, it's just what they want. I don't see the harm in it.

I want to be a columnist. I do Politics, but I wouldn't want to write about it. Nor Ramallah. Current affairs, not necessarily Politics, just stuff in general. Hmm, I don't like to be constrained.

I want to be a newspaper journalist.

ReputationRep:
    FeMAIL is annoying, it just talks about HRT and bags, and they have this annoying anorexic fashion woman. I wouldn't say it was making a mockery though; many womens lives focus around their menopaus and their Prada magazine. It's a middle class newspaper aimed at middle class women. They show what people want to see, it's not a mockery, it's just what they want. I don't see the harm in it.

I want to be a columnist. I do Politics, but I wouldn't want to write about it. Nor Ramallah. Current affairs, not necessarily Politics, just stuff in general. Hmm, I don't like to be constrained.

I want to be a newspaper journalist.
    There really is very little in there about thinks like science, technology, medicine or even areas where women have 'made their mark' to a certain extent - like law, politics, literature.

I'm really surprised that those articles are aimed at MIDDLE-CLASS women! Do you reckon many of these women lack drive?

Give me an example of the 'stuff in general' which you are interested in writing about? Would you consider sport and politics and economics to be 'male'?

squish.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.