Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xps.systems)
    There really is very little in there about thinks like science, technology, medicine or even areas where women have 'made their mark' to a certain extent - like law, politics, literature.

I'm really surprised that those articles are aimed at MIDDLE-CLASS women! Do you reckon many of these women lack drive?

Give me an example of the 'stuff in general' which you are interested in writing about? Would you consider sport and politics and economics to be 'male'?

squish.

Well there wouldn't be much in femail about science, technology or medicine... would there? They're in the Science, Technology and Health sections... no? Why would I place an article about stem cell research in femail? I wouldn't...

Why are you surprised it's for middle class women? It's a middle class paper, always has been...
    And yes, I do think they lack drive. However, I don't see that as a pejorative. I don't think there's anything wrong with being a housewife.

Sport and economics are male-dominated, as you well know. But women, generally, ARE less interested in them. I, for instance, don't care. Politics; far less so.
    I want to write about the news; actual day to day stories. I told you, I want to be a journalist/reporter.

ReputationRep:
    squish
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    The average man and the average woman have very different interests. Surely that's obvious.

Why do you think that men are underrepresented in certain professions?

I do not like your implication that women are underachieving if they're not interested in jobs to do with finance, science, or technology. Why is it only an achievement if a woman goes for a traditionally 'male' occupation? Do you think that the careers women tend to go for (teaching, social work, charity work, media, nursing, etc.) are lesser careers?

ReputationRep:
    men and women are different *shock, horror* and want different thigns in life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    The average man and the average woman have very different interests. Surely that's obvious.

Why do you think that men are underrepresented in certain professions?

I do not like your implication that women are underachieving if they're not interested in jobs to do with finance, science, or technology. Why is it only an achievement if a woman goes for a traditionally 'male' occupation? Do you think that the careers women tend to go for (teaching, social work, charity work, media, nursing, etc.) are lesser careers?
    I didn't say they're underachieving at all - in fact recent research suggests that even in higher education women are consistently outperforming men (on average) across the board? Why are these occupations you call traditionally 'male' like that? You do know that charity work, social work, teaching and media were also very very male not too long ago? How come women aren't equally represented across the board?

I'm not saying they are lesser professions at all - people who are leaders in their field (regardless of what it is) are invariably respected? It just concerns me why not that many women (relative to men) get to the top of their profession. Remember also that in finance, science and technology average salaries are higher than in teaching, media and social work - and bias in male:female ratios across these sectors could be what ACTUALLY contributes to the gender pay gap!

squish.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I didn't say they're underachieving at all - in fact recent research suggests that even in higher education women are consistently outperforming men (on average) across the board? Why are these occupations you call traditionally 'male' like that? You do know that charity work, social work, teaching and media were also very very male not too long ago? How come women aren't equally represented across the board?

I'm not saying they are lesser professions at all - people who are leaders in their field (regardless of what it is) are invariably respected? It just concerns me why not that many women (relative to men) get to the top of their profession. Remember also that in finance, science and technology average salaries are higher than in teaching, media and social work - and bias in male:female ratios across these sectors could be what ACTUALLY contributes to the gender pay gap!

squish.
    Do women need to be encouraged to be more competitive? [...] Do you think they do not do sufficient extra-curricular activities though?
    That implies that you think women don't go for financial positions because they're not 'encouraged' enough or they don't do 'sufficient extra-curricular activities'. Did it ever occur to you that these positions may not INTEREST most women? And that that is the reason they don't go for them?

The following article has investment banking as the no.1 career destination for males (in this survey) but no.10 for females!?!
    Again, you seem to be implying that this is a bad thing. Why is it a bad thing?

How come women aren't equally represented across the board?
    Why aren't men?

ReputationRep:
    In the grand scheme of human evolution, technology, investment banking and engineering are very new compared to childcare.

Numerous generations have 'preferred' the woman to be the homemaker' and person who raises young children - but I can't see what is particularly endearing (specifically to males as opposed to females) about engineering, investment banking and technology.

squish.
    It could just be that male minds are more likely to work in a way that makes them lean towards that sort of career. I'll admit there's no obvious reason behind it, and that might not be the reason at all. I'm just saying we shouldn't totally dismiss the idea that men biologically lean towards these careers and that women biologically lean away from them. We don't know enough about the human brain to rule it out.

My experience is with engineering and technology and I think it's a good idea to encourage women into these industries (without bribing them). Not out of some notion of trying to fix society and remove gender roles, but simply out of self interest for the companies involved. The fact is there are a lot of women who could be very useful to the industry, but at the moment it's unlikely they would even consider it even if they do have the sort of skils it needs.

My housemate did maths at uni and she reckons it was about 50:50 male:female. If all these women have strong maths ability then chances are they would be good at technical and engineering subjects. But compare that to computer science and the ratio was more like 20:1.

ReputationRep:
    All those things men dominate involve logic, which more men are logical than woman in general. That maths olympiad thing proves it, it was totally dominated by males and in this country I'd say education is more aimed at females, lads need discipline and solid logical work, not spider diagrams and silyl practical stuff and writing about your feelings. Yet the males in this country dominate maths at the top level. I know in my year the top 4 marks at GCSE was from lads.

Even girls that go to uni normally just like fashion, music, media and celeb worshipping. Blokes prefer electronics, history, sports, maths and making money.

ReputationRep:
    But this is the UK in the 21st century? What social pressures are preventing women from leading healthy careers - remember not all women have chidlren and there is the opportunity for a surrogate mother too. Also, more women are graduating with good degress (1st and 2:1) than men, although I don't have stats on employment during university etc.

squish.
    Women and finance careers has just never really taken off. A lot of girls tend to go for more sciencey careers from my understanding i.e. Psychology. Preference.

ReputationRep:
    But by that logic Christian/Muslim/teetotal men will not be able to progress very far up the hierarchy either. Women are much more fairly represented relative to the proportion of the general population which tey constitute (approx 51%) in law than in investment banking - the question is why?

squish.
    Exactly, so the non-religious alpha male tends to dominate. Of course not all firms are like this, but many are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AP123)
    Women and finance careers has just never really taken off. A lot of girls tend to go for more sciencey careers from my understanding i.e. Psychology. Preference.
    Is it really 'preference' or is it social conditioning/social engineering?

squish.

ReputationRep:
    Is it really 'preference' or is it social conditioning/social engineering?

squish.
    You mean indoctrination or propaganda to keep women aware from such professions?

A bit far fetched if so.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.