Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Unreasonable to ask him to quit? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mos-cow)
    haha i know... I just started tonight so I thought i'd ask everything on my mind!! haha

Someone who agrees!
    Yeah, fair enough At least you aren't being all "anon or delete"

And yeah, I agree. Smoking is horrible and dangerous, it's perfectly reasonable to ask him to stop!

ReputationRep:
    to make it fair on his part aswell (aside from the health benefits of stopping smoking) ask him what he finds annoying about you and you can give that up/change it so you're both in it together.

No that sounds stupid.. Just mention it a little, but dont mention it too much as he might think you're a controling kind of person. Either way you knew he smoked, so you have to understand he might not want to give up.

ReputationRep:
    If you're trying to change the person, why are you with them in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    if you are serious about making him quit then i wouldnt be really firm with him jsut constantly make remarks semi jokes about it. Offer to do a certain thing he likes if he quits for a week etc - i wouldnt force the issue. Smokers who have been smokers for years get very defensive when you are firm with them - being firm isnt the best option.

ReputationRep:
    Well I quit 10 days ago

It isn't easy and m boyfriend still smokes and it's gross

I quit because I had went one day without and kept going, I have had to kept strong but now i really do not want a fag

But if someone tld me to quit i'd swear at them

it's a life choice, let them live it

ReputationRep:
    If the guy you're dating smokes and you knew that before you starting seeing him do you think it's unreasonable to ask him to quit?

Atm I'm okayish with it as long as he does it outside but I don't think i could ever be in a serious relationship with him if he doesn't stop.. he says it's impossible as he's been doing it since he was 10 but I like everything about him just not this..
    Yup. Because it's his choice. Not yours.

(It's going to end isn't it?)

ReputationRep:
    If the guy you're dating smokes and you knew that before you starting seeing him do you think it's unreasonable to ask him to quit?

Atm I'm okayish with it as long as he does it outside but I don't think i could ever be in a serious relationship with him if he doesn't stop.. he says it's impossible as he's been doing it since he was 10 but I like everything about him just not this..
    You cant really ask him to quit thats not fair on him. you knew in the frst place and It isnt doing you anyharm.

ReputationRep:
    It depends how long you've been dating really. But at the same time, if they say no then you'll just have to accept it. As long as they're being considerate with their smoking habits then you can't really complain too much.

I wouldn't ask a girl to stop smoking until it at least got a bit serious and I think she'd understand that I'm not trying to change her in any significant way.

ReputationRep:
    It is unreasonable to ask him to quit, like it's me or the cigs but it is not unreasonable to ask him not to smoke aroung you...

ReputationRep:
    i'm a smoker but i would never ask my partner to quit even if i wasnt a smoker...if that makes sense. yeh i dont think its fair to try and change people, even if its bad for them.

ReputationRep:
    lulz at the n00b negs for my post Drummer23 and Mos-Cow, I'll be sure to return the favour :awesome:

(Original post by Nahro)
    Not unreasonable... if u dont like him smoking ask him... if he doesnt dump him Smoking ruins lives.
    (Original post by Metropolis)
    i don't date girls that smoke, so if one ended up being my girlfriend, she'd have to quit.
    Wow you'll make some girls very happy >_<

ReputationRep:
    That's a difficult one because you liked him enough to be in a relationship and you now want him to change one of his habits. I can see where you are coming from though, I made my partner quit smoking but that is because we are having a baby and didn't want the smoke around me or him to still be smoking when the baby arrived. I was a occasional/casual drunken smoker myself so it wasn't for our health reasons but for those of our baby.

You can mention how you feel but I doubt he will quit because he had the habit before you and unless the desire comes from himself he wont really be committed.

ReputationRep:
    totally unreasonable. You can express your concerns, but if someone insisted i quitted id tell them to **** off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timetokill)
    If you knew he smoked before you got together and you got with him anyway then in my opinion it is unreasonable for you to ask him to quit, especially if you are going to give it a sort of 'I cant be in a serious relationship with you if you dont quit' ultimatum at some stage.

As much as it may be for his health and because you are concerned, you knew what you were getting into before you started seeing him.
    :ditto:

You could say something such as "have you ever thought of giving up smoking?" or whatever but at the end of the day it is his decision not yours and if smoking is that much of a put off (which is fair enough) then don't be in a relationship with him. You can't control him though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    You are a **** OP, if a girl tried to make me quit before we started dating I'd run a hundred miles from the control freak
    I need to rep you for that link in your sig.

ReputationRep:

it's perfectly reasonable to ask
    whether he does it or not is up to him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OiaB)
    I need to rep you for that link in your sig.
    Ok

ReputationRep:
    smoking since he was 10?! :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    My boyfriend smokes and I HATE it.

But, it is completely his decision and to be fair to him he doesn't smoke in the car when I'm in there, he would never want to smoke in the house (if we ever lived together) and also he doesn't smoke loads a day either.

I encourage him to quit, offer help and support and tell him reasons why he should but at the end of the day I'll never demand that he does anything just because I don't agree as I don't think that's fair.

He's actually been quit for 3 days today :yep: But that's because he got so drunk the other night that he couldn't bare a cigarette the next day, so he thought he'd use that as a starting point to try and quit! I didn't even suggest it :bigsmile:

My boyfriend quit after he got so drunk and couldn't bare one too. Its now been nearly two years since he quit and he helped me quit aswell! Try to encourage him to keep going. After three days the nicotene should have left his body and its just psychological from here on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flynny1818)
    My boyfriend quit after he got so drunk and couldn't bare one too. Its now been nearly two years since he quit and he helped me quit aswell! Try to encourage him to keep going. After three days the nicotene should have left his body and its just psychological from here on.
    He had one on the third day while he was put golfing with his friends. Now he's back to smoking

Oh well, could be worse, he could smoke 40 a day.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 9, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.