Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    is my MUM MENTAL? (she got upset when i told her this)?

mum and dad broke up when i was 17. im 21 now. she has our little sister living at her house. every month or so she has a new man. shes 42! and she told us shes pregnant the other day

a few months back she needed money from us (yes the kids) we didnt have it, then she told us shes going to die because she has a tumour. i used to cry myself to sleep every night when i knew this to find out it was false a few weeks later ! (just a ploy to get emotion? money?)

my little sister (11) sends me text messages calling my a stupid cow and tells me to go and shag around like i do (!!!!!!!!!) its all poison from the mum

mum also brings men to the house when little sister is there --I so scared they will rape her or do something to her because these people are VERY dodgy and my sis is the attntion craving sort!

my questions:

1) is mum mental

2) what to do (can a mental person be treated even against their will- Im in the UK and i wrote a letter to her GP because we have the mental health act here -they have to be treated if they're a threat to anyone) and the stupid GP went and showed mum the letter!!!!!!

3) what to do about little sister (ive had enough):eek3:

ReputationRep:
    1) Yes, she sounds like the scum of the earth.
    2) I would just leave her.. don't bother talking to her again
    3) No idea
    4) troll much?

ReputationRep:
    How can your mum be mental , when my mums not even mental after bringin up four kids on her own for around twenty five years .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspiration)
    is my MUM MENTAL? (she got upset when i told her this)?

mum and dad broke up when i was 17. im 21 now. she has our little sister living at her house. every month or so she has a new man. shes 42! and she told us shes pregnant the other day

a few months back she needed money from us (yes the kids) we didnt have it, then she told us shes going to die because she has a tumour. i used to cry myself to sleep every night when i knew this to find out it was false a few weeks later ! (just a ploy to get emotion? money?)

my little sister (11) sends me text messages calling my a stupid cow and tells me to go and shag around like i do (!!!!!!!!!) its all poison from the mum

mum also brings men to the house when little sister is there --I so scared they will rape her or do something to her because these people are VERY dodgy and my sis is the attntion craving sort!

my questions:

1) is mum mental

2) what to do (can a mental person be treated even against their will- Im in the UK and i wrote a letter to her GP because we have the mental health act here -they have to be treated if they're a threat to anyone) and the stupid GP went and showed mum the letter!!!!!!

3) what to do about little sister (ive had enough):eek3:
    1) She doesn't have a mental illness. She's a attention seeker (I study psychology and have never heard of a money taking illness)
    2) Of course the GP showed her the letter, he probably thought you were lying. Your GP is the expert and doesn't think she does then. I think the problem here is your mum's behaviour is too immature and out of control. This is the time for you to think... do I need to speak to my mum about her behaviour? Should I distance myself from my mother? Want do I expect from my mother?
    3) Tell your little sister to stop being so nasty and how would she like to be told the same. Change phone numbers. Distance yourself from her.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if this is a troll or not, but other than worrying about your mum seeing a doctor for being "mental", can't your little sister stay with you or another relative? Better that than her staying in an unstable home.

ReputationRep:
    A person cannot be mental. :eyebrow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmie19)
    1) She doesn't have a mental illness. She's a attention seeker (I study psychology and have never heard of a money taking illness)
    2) Of course the GP showed her the letter, he probably thought you were lying. Your GP is the expert and doesn't think she does then. I think the problem here is your mum's behaviour is too immature and out of control. This is the time for you to think... do I need to speak to my mum about her behaviour? Should I distance myself from my mother? Want do I expect from my mother?
    3) Tell your little sister to stop being so nasty and how would she like to be told the same. Change phone numbers. Distance yourself from her.
    no she needs to be around for her sister!!! what if something happens and the only people that little kid has to tell is her mum(!!!) or her equally young friends???

ReputationRep:
    If this is not a troll then i would say. bi polar disorder and you sis is prob lashing out because she is scared. Needs to see a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girlmechanik)
    no she needs to be around for her sister!!! what if something happens and the only people that little kid has to tell is her mum(!!!) or her equally young friends???
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_disorder Read. It's behavioural, not mental, you see.

Like mother, like daughter. There's no problem.

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_disorder Read. It's behavioural, not mental, you see.

there is a problem if one of these dodgy characters rapes the kid!!! someone sensible and reasonable and safe and helpful needs to be somewhere in this childs life

oh and wikipedia doesnt know its arse from it elbow :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    there is a problem if one of these dodgy characters rapes the kid!!! someone sensible and reasonable and safe and helpful needs to be somewhere in this childs life

oh and wikipedia doesnt know its arse from it elbow :rolleyes:
    Oh really? The long articles are good, and describe clinical depression in more depth then what I learnt at A2 Level. You're young and naive and can't recognise unless it's proven her mum is a dodgy character, the sister won't be taken into care.

ReputationRep:
    Oh really? The long articles are good, and describe clinical depression in more depth then what I learnt at A2 Level. You're young and naive and can't recognise unless it's proven her mum is a dodgy character, the sister won't be taken into care.
    i know the sister wont be taken into care, baby Peter proved how useless the social services are...but seriously, if the sister ends up hurt and the OP has distanced herself, who else is the poor kid going to go to if the mother is as "mental" as being suggested?

ReputationRep:
    i know the sister wont be taken into care, baby Peter proved how useless the social services are...but seriously, if the sister ends up hurt and the OP has distanced herself, who else is the poor kid going to go to if the mother is as "mental" as being suggested?
    Look, the sister's being a horrible ***** ok and probably hurting her feelings a lot. It's not worth it. Dad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachael-69)
    If this is not a troll then i would say. bi polar disorder and you sis is prob lashing out because she is scared. Needs to see a doctor.
    1) Doesn't fit definition of bi polar disorder. Studied it at A2. It's attention seeking behaviour.

2) No she's being a ***** to make herself feel better.

ReputationRep:
    Look, the sister's being a horrible ***** ok and probably hurting her feelings a lot. It's not worth it. Dad?
    if shes mirroring her mother or even sending these text FOR her mother, then shes not horrible shes doing as shes taught or told. i just think OP should stay close enough so that the sister can contact her in times of trouble whilst distancing herself from her mother x

ReputationRep:
    1. Don't diagnose people with/without a mental illness. It's impossible to do online and you are far from qualified to do so anyway.

2. Psychology A-level isn't worth ****, thus it places you in no authority to do number 1.

3. Again, stop trying to diagnose people.

4. No idea wtf you're talking about here. Incoherent as usual.

1) Doesn't fit definition of bi polar disorder. Studied it at A2. It's attention seeking behaviour.
    5. Potentially it could fit the definition. However, doing such online is neither suitable nor appropriate.

6. Again, your a-level means ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    1. Don't diagnose people with/without a mental illness. It's impossible to do online and you are far from qualified to do so anyway.

2. Psychology A-level isn't worth ****, thus it places you in no authority to do number 1.

Ok smartie pants...you have no personal experience in this matter do you?

She's claiming to have a tumour she knows she doesn't have? Sleeping around with strangers? Asking for money off strangers? Hellooo

A Level has told me a lot about the basis of mental illness. I can recognise it better then a clear bad egg (no offence OP)

ReputationRep:
    she cant be taken into care
    mum n dad have been fighting it through the courts for 3 years now entering the 4th..

things is mum reminds me of the mum from a child called it
    shes an 180 degree different person with us than with everyone els (convinced the whole court that my dad is wrong) and even sent him to jail for a whole week for "abuse" which he hadnt even done!!!!!!!!!

false accusations only

the other day she was telling me she had a dream where our dad would die very soon because his new wife has magik-ed him (yeh muslims believe in magic)

ReputationRep:

2) No she's being a ***** to make herself feel better.
    Promiscuity and (apparent) excessive spending didn't crop up, then? Of course, it's impossible to diagnose a mental illness from one or two sentences, but the risk taking behaviour which the OP finds abnormal and worrying may have a deeper cause. It's simply impossible to tell, especially as she doesn't live at home with her mother.

Also, the sister we're talking about here is eleven years old. An eleven year old who's living alone with a 'worrying' mother and a succession of 'dodgy' boyfriends. For God's sake, have a little compassion. I'd say a few nasty texts are hardly the worst possible way to deal with a disfunctional homelife. OP, go tell your sister you're there for her and you haven't turned your back. Maybe she just feels like you've abandoned her with this horrible mother and you don't care. This could make a world of difference.

ReputationRep:
    sweetie i have A in A level psych and am currenyl studyin it in Uni
    but you cant diagnose these things (like her soo complex)
    remember studying how people are so complex and complicated
    but muchly thnaks for the advice though i keep opening tsr to read it xx

(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)

5. Potentially it could fit the definition. However, doing such online is neither suitable nor appropriate.

6. Again, your a-level means ****.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.